Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Game modes.

I wanna take a second to talk about other game modes here.

I understand that some of you think game modes besides ctf don't utilize a lot of the maneuverability this game has to offer. But I think that's kind of silly. In any game mode you can use your maneuverability to your advantage if you're creative enough. I mean if you can't think of at least a couple of ways to put lightning fast explosive propelled flight to good use I think that says a little more about your creativity than a game modes restrictions. But you deffinately can't play other game modes like ctf. You have to tweak your strategy a little.

I think you guys would find 5pc maps to be pretty rewarding if you put some thought and effort into it. Instead of maneuvering purely for speed you could use it to gain an advantageous spot for a battle. Scouts could, actually scout. Use their great speed advantage to zip around the map and call out positions and taking pot shots along the way.

One thing I can see being detrimental to such a game mode is instant respawn. I can see where it'd be hard to make progress either way in a map with spawns being instant. But then I haven't got a chance to play 5pc in FF yet, so I don't really know. I have taken a run around of warpath.( I think that's the one.) And it looks like a pretty good FF map. Nice geometry and what not.

What do you guys think? Why do you guys only play ctf?
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Certain game modes would definitely be interesting. I think a different dynamic would be game modes that play more on the changing purpose of classes. In king of the hill for example, defensive classes would be forced to play offensively, in order to attack, and then defend the hill.

This might be a fun way to get players to try new classes.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 03:00 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Free for all mode would be nice.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #4
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
I'm working on a prototype map, random (rotating) objective map. Pretty small with dm, 1 flag ctf and koth
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Sounds interesting and confusing.

I think free for all is a very necessary part of any healthy FPS if you can balance it right. Team death match is good to. It's just very helpful to be able to jump in a game and just start killing stuff if there's nothing else going on.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #6
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
I agree 99%.

The difference is that in FF (compared to say, TF2 for example), light classes have much diminished power to kill. For example, the scout would be completely useless in any game mode that requires you to kill the enemy. In TF2 the scout can rack up quite a few frags.

This means the requirement on the game mode is the ability to make progress via movement skill alone, and is why CTF is popular.

5cp like warpath can definitely fit into this model, although there needs to be (IMO) more definition about which team is attacking and which team is defending. I had an idea a while back about warpath only having 1 point attackable at a time, for a time window, then if the team don't capture it in time, it gets locked and the other contested point is unlocked, etc, so teams basically switch between attacking and defending every 2 mins or so. (But the whole team doesnt need to switch classes all the time)

One of the problems I'd like to address is that only 1 person can really interact with the objective at once. The gamemode also needs to be playable in both competitive scene and pub scene, and ideally the skills from both should carry over. DM should also be a fallback solution, and teams need to have a clear objective rather than being split.

Actually the closest we had to a successful new gamemode was similar to payload. Where scouts could use movement skill to get close to the payload and score points, and the rest of the team can still use DM to push the defending team back. We had some good early prototypes but it didn't go further than that.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I wanna take a second to talk about other game modes here.

I understand that some of you think game modes besides ctf don't utilize a lot of the maneuverability this game has to offer. But I think that's kind of silly. In any game mode you can use your maneuverability to your advantage if you're creative enough. I mean if you can't think of at least a couple of ways to put lightning fast explosive propelled flight to good use I think that says a little more about your creativity than a game modes restrictions. But you deffinately can't play other game modes like ctf. You have to tweak your strategy a little.

I think you guys would find 5pc maps to be pretty rewarding if you put some thought and effort into it. Instead of maneuvering purely for speed you could use it to gain an advantageous spot for a battle. Scouts could, actually scout. Use their great speed advantage to zip around the map and call out positions and taking pot shots along the way.

One thing I can see being detrimental to such a game mode is instant respawn. I can see where it'd be hard to make progress either way in a map with spawns being instant. But then I haven't got a chance to play 5pc in FF yet, so I don't really know. I have taken a run around of warpath.( I think that's the one.) And it looks like a pretty good FF map. Nice geometry and what not.

What do you guys think? Why do you guys only play ctf?
Honestly, I usually only play ctf with ff because I like how the game works with that. I would love for a good DM map(such as the turkeyburgers/rats maps in TFC) to be made and played. Running around a huge area killing for the hell of it can be quite fun. Yes, I know that some maps have been done for that, but I never see them in any rotation.

Someone mentioned a "2 minute timed cap point capture" mode on a map like Warpath. That would be freaking awesome! You have 2 minutes to capture each point, in succession, and then it gets locked. If you capture it before the 2 minutes is up, your team scores, the timer resets and the next point opens. If you fail to capture a point in 2 minutes, it closes and the next one opens. Basicly, each team gets 10 minutes total to capture all the points. Whichever team has the most points(point captures) at the end of the round, wins. At least, if I'm understanding that suggestion correctly.

I really like that concept.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-21-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
Drakonal
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Spy/Engy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Some people, myself included mainly enjoy CTF. That's really the bread and butter and main reason to play fortress type games is for the CTF.

But I'm just the minority on that thinking I'm sure
Drakonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 AM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I totally understand that ctf is the bread and butter here. I get how it really is currently the best setting for the fast paced maneuverability. But like I said, I think with a little tweaking and strategizing that other modes could still be pretty rewarding.

If you take a 5cp map with plenty of routes and good geometry for concs, you could make scouts and medics very viable. Only difference is you have to step away from directly playing objectives. But that doesn't mean being less useful. If you've got a couple scouts zipping around the map you can see where the enemy is pushing, call out positions, and set up ambushes.

Idk, I guess that's setting the bar a little high. Requiring a lot of coordination and pidgeon holing classes into specific roles. Maybe making the lighter classes more viable for dm could go a long ways for other game modes.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I personally enjoy AvD/ID (dustbowl/ksour/etc) infinitely more than CTF in a public setting. It's very hard/impossible for me to enjoy unstructured CTF.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 10:38 AM   #11
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
Certain game modes would definitely be interesting. I think a different dynamic would be game modes that play more on the changing purpose of classes. In king of the hill for example, defensive classes would be forced to play offensively, in order to attack, and then defend the hill.

This might be a fun way to get players to try new classes.
king of the hill is a great gamemode thsi game could make it work well if not great tf2 has it works great. it should work if someone put some thought into the map movement will still be there.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
squeek, seriously consider releasing conc_freezetag as an official map. It may not be detailed or have a theme, but its REAL fun to play. especially with 4+ people..hell... even 1 v 1 is entertainment. Its also nothing like ive played before.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
would love a couple of DM and Team-DM modes and maps.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #14
-mooney-
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 34 Times
FREEZETAG!!!!
-mooney- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
I need to make sure freezetag is bug free. I've completely forgotten the status of it.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #16
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
I need to make sure freezetag is bug free. I've completely forgotten the status of it.
Not bug free

You would also need to release it with a really SEXY Map.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Last edited by Ricey; 12-02-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote