Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-25-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Texturing Trick

Since a lot of people don't know this, I'm just posting it up and adding it to the sticky.

When texturing awkward areas or curves, this is the trick I use the most. I essentially use the adjacent faces to act as a tool for texturing the other parts. I rarely have to rotate textures because they're already aligned for me

The basic trick is to texture the 'straight' part of a brush first and then, with the same face selected, alt-right click the tricky face. Hammer will texture the destination face as if the texture space were hinged at the joining edge, so the texture space is now aligned with the angled brush rather than making you rotate the texture.

A brief explanation of what alt-right clicking does:
It makes a contiguous texture space across faces. If you select one face and then alt-right click another, it will try to bridge the texture across the faces in a seamless manner. I prefer to think of this as the texture being hinged at a common edge bridging source to destination faces.

Practical use of this:

Example: When tackling a curve, texture the part that doesn't require rotations first (typically the 'inside' of the curve), then transfer the texture space from the inside to the outside of the curve. The outside of the curve textures itself and no longer requires those soul-destroying rotations.

It's pretty difficult to explain in words; just look at the pictures.

One
Two

The next bit isn't necessary, so if you don't want to understand why you should use alt-right click where possible (even when you don't really care about making a texture seamless) you don't have to read on.

You should always use alt-right click when texturing around corners or even simple curves. When you're using world alignment, a failure to use alt-right click results in the warping of the textures. The world alignment is always along the primary world axis whose angle closest matches the brush face (you'll probably notice it 'swaps' the texture axis when you're texturing a face and you go past the 45 degree threshold). Long story short: When you're texturing a non-world aligned face using align to world, you're projecting a texture with a smaller scale onto a face with a larger surface area. It causes the texture to get ugly.

In this picture, a world aligned texture is being mapped onto a slanted face. If the face were parallel with the world x axis, it would be 4 units long (see: Green horizontal line). However, the face we're mapping to is 5 units long. What this effectively means is the texture has to be stretched 25% to fit the slanted face (see: Green slanted line along face). Why? Well, the slanted face is 4 units long in the x direction, but its actual length is 5 units, as it also has depth. Hammer won't sort this out for you; this is why the texture will stretch.

Avoid doing this Either use the face aligned mode, or alt right click from one face to the slanted face to keep the texture continuous and nicely scaled.

Last edited by Defrag; 03-25-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
o_caesium

You've just saved me a lot of work thanks!
o_caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #3
o_nezumi

I always just used a calculator to get the right angle. Maybe this'll save some time.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM   #4
o_loader

You use a calculator??

I didn't do anything, I just left them not aligned and put a prop in the way so you couldn't see
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #5
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
I always just used a calculator to get the right angle. Maybe this'll save some time.
same way as i do, sometimes its faster to use this than alt-right click for the top of an arch for exaple, but my calculator isnt really like the most of yours i made it specialy for calculations like that, i only have to fill in the number of corners and he will calculate the angle between the side of the arch and the corresponding axis

or i have one on a triangle for little calculations on things that are not made from a regular arch.
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2006, 07:33 PM   #6
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
someone taught me that trick here a while back for texturing the roof of my tunnel.

Old 03-29-2006, 04:22 AM   #7
o_mj

good stuff
o_mj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
o_fresh

Nice one, I told this to my friends and he was like WOW!

This was the same WOW we had back in the day of HLDM when we realised we didnt have to create servers called "LOOK TOM HERE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<" because we didnt know how to "connect xxxxxxxxxx" at the time.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
o_sh4x

Thanks that'll help me for sure!
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2006, 12:10 AM   #10
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh

This was the same WOW we had back in the day of HLDM when we realised we didnt have to create servers called "LOOK TOM HERE <<<<<<<<<<<<<<" because we didnt know how to "connect xxxxxxxxxx" at the time.
rofl yeah i used to do shit like that

id also go into the in-game chat shit on the server browser screen to advertise the server saying all kinds of bogus shit just to get people to join

Old 03-31-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
o_stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh

my friendS, he was
well, i suppose everyone can make a mistake
o_stino is offline   Reply With Quote