Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
truplaya

Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Improved Hitboxes on FF?

I was wondering about hitboxes on ff and how they work exactly and do damage. It seems to me currently that just aiming for the mid torso is the best thing to do damage wise. I don't think it should be this way, I want there to be hitbox zones.

3 Zones- head, torso/arms, and legs. Each with their own damage range when being hit. I feel ff's current hitboxes discredit headshots and good aim.

I think where u shoot an enemy in ff should rank the damage u do.

Ultimately I want headshot hits with weapons to do the max damage as opposed to any other shot on an enemy. I think it should be true with all weapons across the board.

Rockets, Grenades, Railgun, sg headshots? Wouldnt that be cool all with their own unique icons when u would kill someone?! More dynamics. Trolling aspects?

It would bring more aim / skill aspects into the game / detail.

Last edited by truplaya; 05-20-2013 at 01:02 AM.
truplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
while i like the idea i think you have very to be careful about the damage differential so that its not a to extreme the difference between a head-shot and a hit somewhere else. this system works great in a realism game but ff isn't about realism never the less i feel this is a good feature that makes aiming for different parts of body count however you can't make head-shots do ungodly amounts of damage compared to everything else or it will do more harm than good. (not saying that is what you were saying but for a system that would be one of the things that would concern me.)

then there's shotguns how is that calculated?

hell just having better hit boxes would be nice.

tl;dr: the damage would have to very slight in order to make it work. but then would it be worth doing?
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-21-2013 at 01:30 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
plz no

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #4
onE
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Scout
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
plz no
onE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 AM   #5
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Please no.

However, I would like an indicator of how much damage you've done to somebody with each hit.

TF2 has that appear over people's heads when you hit them and there are sometimes when you're sure you hit a direct rocket but it only did half damage, etc. etc.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #6
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
TF2 has that appear over people's heads when you hit them and there are sometimes when you're sure you hit a direct rocket but it only did half damage, etc. etc.
i love how everyone says no but doesn't have a reason why just that they don't want.

now on to xpelagros its not just TF2 that has this a ton of games have this and let me tell you very useful feature. also it would allow removal the stupid thing that lets me seen enemies hp and armor just by staring.

also note TF2 does it right its an option (i can check or uncheck) damage tickers i think its called not sure.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-21-2013 at 01:36 AM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
i love how everyone says no but doesn't have a reason why just that they don't want.
Not interested in playing Counter Fortress: Global Forever. Everything doesn't need to do leet head shoots.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
OJ, WiFi already gave a pretty good run down of why it would be difficult to implement, frustrating to play with, and add even MORE randomness to damage.

Consider our "Plz no" posts as +1ing his well thought out argument.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
the_cake
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 144 Times
Source engine netcode isn't even accurate enough for the whole body hitbox let alone multipart hitboxes. The reg would be more random than it already is.

If I were writing a game engine from scratch I would implement a hybrid client/server registration system. Basically the client sends it's detected hit to the server (the entire coordinance), the server also tries to calculate the hit (including whatever lag compensation is available), if the two are close enough (could be tweakable with an svar), trust the client's hit. If they're too far apart (player with lag spikes), trust the server. If they're something crazy (someone behind a wall or on a different part of the map, ie someone trying to hack), kick the offending player with an error.

Last edited by the_cake; 05-22-2013 at 06:34 PM.
the_cake is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
ddm999
worst ff player eu

Class/Position: o - no, d - scout
Gametype: IvDZ
Posts Rated Helpful 18 Times
But then you get an easy hack where the client says every bullet hits when it's close, and the server says 'Meh, close enough'.

You also have to test the network aspect to destruction, or there's a possibility some players will get kicked due to their lag (only a real problem when a game has low player count), but using the Binary Space Partitioning form of maps, you can potentially make it never count hits when the player isn't being sent updates on the area the player being hit is in. (of course, then you hit the problem of laggy players not being sent the data for the place they're in (according to their client).

BTW, this took about 20 minutes to write because I'm on my PS3. :L

Old 05-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
the_cake
Beta Tester

Yea, it's hackable. But less so than standard client side hitreg, and it's pretty obvious if you just spectate the player. A first person demo would be absolute proof. And you can just use autoshoot, probably easier than trying to hack the netcode and harder to detect. Not to mention modern hacks include some randomization to avoid detection. There are some that even attempt to model the natural accel/decel curve of mouse movement. What I'm saying is there are already better options if you want to cheat.

As far as network destruction goes you would only be kicked if something bizarre happens, like I head shot you from aardvark spawn while you're in the flagroom. Simple heuristics can be employed to prevent the case of people peeking around corners. If you got kicked legitimately you probably lag too badly for the game to even be playable. The above would be last in the logic flow so there shouldn't be much of a performance penalty.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
truplaya

Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
ok i get it, too much work / not gonna happen
truplaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #13
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
It's also very questionable if it's desirable at all given the weapons FF has: almost all shotguns with a fairly large spread. Explosions don't lend well to this type of thing very well either.

In practice, I think it'd be very strange. I don't think it would be best to aim for the head with a shotgun, as you're more likely to miss bullets above them (and aiming for the chest still gives you a chance of hitting the head with some bullets, and are more likely to hit a larger number of bullets). Same with the AC. All headshots would essentially be (or feel) random and undeserved.

It'd also be weird to determine which kills count as "headshots." It only shows up as a headshot if the majority of your bullets hit the head? Only 1 has to hit the head? Damage would seem random and inconsistent for sure.

I think the Counter-Strike style damage only works with predictable (and fairly tight) spread/recoil. FF is almost exclusively random spread or projectiles/explosions with the exception of the sniper rifle, which does factor in head/leg shots.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 05-23-2013 at 02:17 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 02:11 AM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

There should be a cvar for fixed spread ala tf2. I think in tf2 all their hitscan is on a fixed spread in comp play.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:38 AM   #15
the_cake
Beta Tester

Quote:
There should be a cvar for fixed spread ala tf2. I think in tf2 all their hitscan is on a fixed spread in comp play.
I find this post helpful.

Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #16
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
Quote:
No, I know what you are thinking but I am fairly sure its still a random bullet spread.

The "no spread" means that the damage is constant - for every bullet that hits, it will do x damage. In regular TF2, the damage a single bullet can do has a spread of values, which makes it inconsistent.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #17
the_cake
Beta Tester

So let's do FDA's thing instead then. It would be nice for AC too, though you guys probably don't want to open that can of worms again.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaties View Post
No, I know what you are thinking but I am fairly sure its still a random bullet spread.

The "no spread" means that the damage is constant - for every bullet that hits, it will do x damage. In regular TF2, the damage a single bullet can do has a spread of values, which makes it inconsistent.
I was thinking that might have been what it was. Oh well.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 AM   #19
jmedilevilir

Gametype: DM\TDM\CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
It is. Damage from bullets won't have anything random, shotgun pellets don't go in random directions when you shoot them etc. Would like to see that in FF.
jmedilevilir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
i hate this thread. bad ideas all around. except squeek

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote