Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #41
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I may be agnostic, but I'm agreeing with Inoc all the way on this one.

FT, go smoke a doobie and stay out of subjects you're ignorant on. Kthxbai.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #42
o_loader

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Yes, because that's due to the fact that immediately after camp these children will be sealed in their own 55 gallon drum to ensure that they are exposed to nothing else for the rest of their life. They're kids for crying out loud. How many kids do you know that are blindly obediant. There are some but by their nature they are rebellious. Look around. As was said in a prior post...these whackjobs are a tiny minority.
Did you not hear it.. It said there are thosands of churchs like these being formed all the time..

Also, these kids are being brainwashed. How can a 7 year old be 'saved', he doesn't even know what that means fs.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 04:29 PM   #43
o_zsilver_fox

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Got a source other than a quote from a movie to back that up Loader? And one can be if it's explained to them by their parents: "You've accepted Jesus into your heart, and he'll always be there with you now." <--- That's what I was told when I was that age.

Very few churches are as extremist as that. Honestly, get your heads out of your asses. Religion isn't all like that. In fact, I see more atheistic extremists than theistic extremists on a daily basis, both online and in the real world. Christianity is about humility, caring, and loving, not screaming into people's faces that they're going to hell if they don't believe what you do.

Then again, it's mostly hopeless to try to explain this to either end of the spectrum. 'Scuse me while I go put some Iraqi oil into my 5 litre.
o_zsilver_fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #44
o_the russian

Religion means nothing, any religion can be used to achieve an extremist view that they are superior and others inferior... no order can call themselves a religion unless they believe that either now or in the proverbial 'end' (both personal and world wide) they will be better off than those who are not members of that 'order'. It is programming 101, you program the ppl to believe they're superior... nationalism works the same, in line with patriotism. All three rely on blind belief, aka 'faith'. This just shows how hard it will be to shed those genes which make us susseptable to this kind of highjacking of reason.

To note what Silver said
Quote:
Christianity is about humility, caring, and loving, not screaming into people's faces that they're going to hell if they don't believe what you do.
but its for sure about thinking that on the inside, whether you're screaming or not, because without that belief, there is no percieved advantage to this 'faith' over another, or the lack-there-of.
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #45
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
Did you not hear it.. It said there are thosands of churchs like these being formed all the time..

Also, these kids are being brainwashed. How can a 7 year old be 'saved', he doesn't even know what that means fs.
The people in that "movement" (as in bowel) are obviously going to say that there are thousands of start ups just like them. It gives the appearance of lending weight to the direction they're trying to convince people to go. It has nothing to do with being true or not. It's simply how they're trying to build credibility and momentum in they're target audience.

There are certainly kids who will go with that whole hog. However, many of you are forgetting or conveniently ignoring what it is to be a kids. Eventually most kids reach an age where they reject that which has been handed down to them by the authority figures in their lives. Whether that's peer pressure or part of the process of maturation it happens. Many of these "brainwashed kids" will reject that which has been given to them as law and they will make their own decisions. How many of you know "former Catholics"? I know far more former than practicing and I think it ties directly to the dogmatism and legalism of the church. What makes you think the same won't happen for whackjobs like in this video?
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 09:59 PM   #46
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruor
What I think Circ means is that because of what this small group of extremists have done towards America. Most if not all Americans have a slightly negative suspicious opinion about most if not all muslims, of course not limited to the USA but generally because of these actions, most western countries have a questioning suspicious behaviour towards these people wich really is uncalled for. In all countries/factions/religions there will allways be extremists but this should not dictate the way we view the whole.
Ding ding ding. Thank you.

Old 09-17-2006, 10:50 PM   #47
o_robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
How can a 7 year old be 'saved', he doesn't even know what that means fs.
(S)he can know enough. There's precisely one person who knows the reality of what salvation meant, what it cost. The good news is that we won't have to go through that. Different people may (imperfectly) know what it means to different degrees, that's all.

For example, knowing that pushing the brake pedal stops my car is an accurate bit of knowledge. Knowing that pushing the pedal causes friction to occur between the brake pads and the wheels is a slightly more specific (but no more or less true) bit of knowledge. Knowing that moving the atoms in the brake pads towards the atoms in their respective wheels causes electromagnetic repulsion between the two surfaces is yet more specific and detailed, and exactly as true as the original.

Salvation particularly is simultaneously very simple and infinitely fascinating, surprising and amazing.
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #48
o_frenchtoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox

FT, go smoke a doobie and stay out of subjects you're ignorant on. Kthxbai.
Hahaha, fuck off!

And if you could read I've already agreed to stay out of the religious shit from now on.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2006, 11:39 PM   #49
o_the russian

see what I mean bout arguing with religious believers... see 3 posts up...

theres one thing about things that need a detailed explanation and about things that dont... TELLING you that you DONT need a detailed explanation is the same thing as telling you that all you need is 'faith'. And just because you dont have 'faith' in the first place, you wont understand it, so to understand it you have to be like one of them, and abandon all reason for all faith, and never question faith because it "works in mysterious ways" that you're NOT suppose to understand!

do you see the backward reasoning and logic loops required in this perverted line of thinking? ... pun intended
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2006, 12:39 AM   #50
o_deadly furby

Emo Phillips: When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2006, 04:27 AM   #51
o_nezumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
How many of you know "former Catholics"?
My mom, and 3 of her 5 siblings
But the other two remain catholic.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #52
o_frenchtoast

Bwahaaha, hate to dig this thread up again, but it was on the Colbert Report. Fucking hilarious
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #53
o_skanky butterpuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Emo Phillips: When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
! Emo Phillips ftw!
o_skanky butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2006, 10:19 AM   #54
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
(S)he can know enough. There's precisely one person who knows the reality of what salvation meant, what it cost. The good news is that we won't have to go through that. Different people may (imperfectly) know what it means to different degrees, that's all.

For example, knowing that pushing the brake pedal stops my car is an accurate bit of knowledge. Knowing that pushing the pedal causes friction to occur between the brake pads and the wheels is a slightly more specific (but no more or less true) bit of knowledge. Knowing that moving the atoms in the brake pads towards the atoms in their respective wheels causes electromagnetic repulsion between the two surfaces is yet more specific and detailed, and exactly as true as the original.

Salvation particularly is simultaneously very simple and infinitely fascinating, surprising and amazing.

You made me lol.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote