Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 10-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #241
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
Well, people were able to play the game at this years Blizzcon, or whatever the event where they announced the new class. People say the game plays just like 2moons in regards to combat and that the characters were exactly what Rob was talking about. Epicly powerful.
Now the question is did the people get to make new characters? Or were they pre-made for them? You've done nothing but give me some hearsay. I still maintain that Blizzard would want the people at Blizzcon to feel all-powerful, it'd be frustrating to sit there and die constantly. Am I saying they won't be "Epicly powerful" in the real game? No, but I am saying that it's not as if you're going to sneeze and kill 50 creatures.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #242
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
Now the question is did the people get to make new characters? Or were they pre-made for them? You've done nothing but give me some hearsay. I still maintain that Blizzard would want the people at Blizzcon to feel all-powerful, it'd be frustrating to sit there and die constantly. Am I saying they won't be "Epicly powerful" in the real game? No, but I am saying that it's not as if you're going to sneeze and kill 50 creatures.

People were able to make new characters. Level 1. They were able to play all 3 classes. People were able to play a good few levels worth of game. This is what was noted from this.

1. Characters were insanely powerful able to sneeze and kill 50 creatures.

2. The game played like 2moons.

3. Your stats (vit, str, etc) were automatically spent when you leveled. When asked what the deal was, Rob P. said it was intended. He never clarified if it was just for the demo or if it was how the actual system would be.

4. People were able to make new characters, naming and choosing how they looked.

None of this is hearsay at all. These are peoples experiences with the game thus far. It would be no different than me telling you what my experience with Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is with a driving wheel.

Coincidentally, everything that the Blizzard Devs have said about how D3 will be has been experienced fully in what is available to be played. I've provided links and shown quotes from devs (Rob P. Lead dev) that support this.

So again...

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #243
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
What is 2moons?

Old 10-14-2008, 01:08 AM   #244
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
What is 2moons?
A cursory YouTube search reveals this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlSDX1rTZ14

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 AM   #245
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

I played 2moons, it's pretty fun. I do wonder how a top down game can play like it though.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:11 AM   #246
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Wow. I've been reading through a lot of stuff lately and watching videos. Looks like the people who were worried about "World of Diablocraft" had some very valid concerns.

The skill tree works pretty much like WoW's talents do now. No town portals yet, it seems. Can't distribute skill points.

When I heard about Diablo III I was like "Fuck yeah!" But the way things have been going, I'm actually having discussions with my friends as to whether or not we'll actually get it at launch. Eventually, maybe, but we don't know if it would be worth it to grab it at launch.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #247
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Wow. I've been reading through a lot of stuff lately and watching videos. Looks like the people who were worried about "World of Diablocraft" had some very valid concerns.

The skill tree works pretty much like WoW's talents do now. No town portals yet, it seems. Can't distribute skill points.

When I heard about Diablo III I was like "Fuck yeah!" But the way things have been going, I'm actually having discussions with my friends as to whether or not we'll actually get it at launch. Eventually, maybe, but we don't know if it would be worth it to grab it at launch.
I'm grabbing it unless it's pay to play.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #248
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
I played 2moons, it's pretty fun. I do wonder how a top down game can play like it though.
Skills are exactly the same. Click a skill, click where you want to cast it... with the exception of your mouse 1 and mouse 2 skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi

I'm still getting it at launch only because of the rune system, but otherwise I feel, and have felt, exactly like you do now. Blizzard is trying to cash in on what they think made WoW tons of money... the appearance and skill trees.

I wrote a big long thing about why WoW was popular on another site. I'll just sum it up here.

WoW, and all other Blizzard games for that matter, are popular because they are released in a relatively dry period of whatever genre they represent. Diablo 1 and 2 were both released when the A-RPG was... well, bland. Starcraft entered the field during the same time. The only non-safe bets they've done have been with Warcraft 1 and 3. Warcraft 2 was released in a relatively safe period.

WoW had the same thing. The only other game to come out in the same period was EQ2, and that had large success until people found out that WoW was just a little bit better and hopped fence.

The second biggest reason why WoW was so popular is because it was released during a huge influx of MMO players. Really, if WoW hadn't existed, EQ2 would have had the same level of success. But that's not really important.

Diablo 3 will be incredibly popular because the only other A-RPG's that have come out have resulted in the companies going under (Hellgate: London and Titan Quest had companies that both tanked... why Iron Lore... WHYYYYY). It really has little to do with it being a good game.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #249
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Joystiq: So Julian Wilson told us that you guys are looking monetize Battle.Net in some way. Is that right?

Rob Pardo: Wow, that's an evil way of putting it. Julian's turning into a business guy on me. Here's the way I would put it. We're definitely not looking at turning Diablo into a subscription based game. It's clearly not an MMO, so it's not appropriate to do a business model like that. The way we approach all of our games now, is we come up with what we think is a great game, and then we wrap the appropriate business model around it. If that's just a box price, then that's that.

With Battle.Net we're definitely looking at possible different features that we might be able to do for additional money. We're not talking about Hellgate or anything like that. We're not going to tack things on. I think World of Warcraft is a great example to look at. We charge people if they want to switch servers or if they want name changes, things that aren't core to the game experience, they're really just optional things that some people want. It takes us some development work to do it, so it makes sense to charge for it. We would never do something like say to get the full game experience, you'll have to pay extra.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/13/bl...et-monetizing/

Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM   #250
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
We're not talking about Hellgate or anything like that.
And I'm sold.

Ronald Reagan

Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 PM   #251
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I'll be "monetize" translates to stuff like "Buy extra character slots, because we only let you have four characters and one account per CD."