Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 07-15-2005, 01:05 PM   #21
o_epothon

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Indeed, mort is a tough map on defence.. and it gets hard for offence when its 5 defence..

Maybe when mort_l is out there, might wanne think of mort2 ??? hint hint
o_epothon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 AM   #22
o_azlan

Alright, I've got a few errors in the map that I'd like to seek help with.

First off, is a ladder problem. In-game my ladders work, so I'm not sure what the problem is here.

The error is:
Quote:
Entity (func_useableladder) has unused keyvalue "origin"
The second error is:
Quote:
Entity keyvalue "parentname" refers to a missing target
Any help would be appreciated!
o_azlan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 PM   #23
o_imbrifer

Don't worry about the first error - it just happens. If the ladders work in-game, fark it. According to FryGuy, ladders for FF will be func_ladders anyway.

With the second error, go to the enttiy it refers to (im pretty sure theres a button for that in the alt+p menu) and go to the 'Parent' property in that entity. The entity referred to as a parent is, as it said, missing. Maybe it was deleted, maybe it doesn't exist. If you don't want it to have a parent, just clear the entry in that property. When entity1 has entity2 as parent, whenever entity2 moves, entity1 will always move with it. That's how parents work.

Good luck!
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 03:51 PM   #24
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
LOL obviously reading isn't one of your strong suits. HE SAID HE HASN'T STARTED THE TEXTURING PROCESS.
Something tells me you may have been refering to my comment. If so, you missed my point! I wasn't "RIDE'N" his textures, I fully understand his delima because I'm at the same point with my own maps which I haven't touched in a month. Let me spell it out just incase because I think this mapper does the same thing that I do. I rough out a map with a very rudamentry idea of how it is going to be textured. After I rough it out I add mid-level details and sometime slap any-old texture on it just to get a feel of the space. (This is the point that our hero Azlan decided to showcase his WIP) some folk "road" on him about something he stated wasn't done yet anyway. I was simply stating that I knew where he was "comming from!" and that once he found his textured and progressed to the detailing phase his map would be really nice and will come together. He's just at that limbo point right now. Yes, it does look block right now to some but once he get to the detailing point it wont be so blocky. I can see the direction he took to get where he is. Aparently not all can. Good job so far Azlan. I'm just curious about how you are going to detail this thing out?
o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #25
o_azlan

That's exactly where I'm stuck at yohan. I'm just not sure what to do with the yard area. I want to give the map a new feel and a new setting. I have some ideas about new settings to give to the map, but pulling them off is the hard part. Are you /tmp/yohan? If so, perhaps we could have a chat about it in private.

Old 07-20-2005, 05:34 PM   #26
o_imbrifer

Azlan: Looking at the whole map and picking a design is very difficult, in my opinion. What I do is I take a small part and come up with a spiffy design. Take a doorway or a single room and spunk it out. Worry about the rest later, but fool around till you get a look you like, then try to envision how that 'look' would appear around the rest of the map, and start working outward.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2005, 06:48 PM   #27
o_shaggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy
LOL obviously reading isn't one of your strong suits. HE SAID HE HASN'T STARTED THE TEXTURING PROCESS.
Something tells me you may have been refering to my comment. If so, you missed my point! I wasn't "RIDE'N" his textures, I fully understand his delima because I'm at the same point with my own maps which I haven't touched in a month. Let me spell it out just incase because I think this mapper does the same thing that I do. I rough out a map with a very rudamentry idea of how it is going to be textured. After I rough it out I add mid-level details and sometime slap any-old texture on it just to get a feel of the space. (This is the point that our hero Azlan decided to showcase his WIP) some folk "road" on him about something he stated wasn't done yet anyway. I was simply stating that I knew where he was "comming from!" and that once he found his textured and progressed to the detailing phase his map would be really nice and will come together. He's just at that limbo point right now. Yes, it does look block right now to some but once he get to the detailing point it wont be so blocky. I can see the direction he took to get where he is. Aparently not all can. Good job so far Azlan. I'm just curious about how you are going to detail this thing out?

Actually you shouldnt listen to that something lol If you check out one of Epothon's post, he talks about not liking the remake because it's not "stunningly good". I was pointing out to him that the textures which make it pleasing to the eye were not placed yet. Anyways, my remarks were not directed at you
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2005, 08:35 PM   #28
o_wildfire

Azlan: Apologies for not replying to emails promptly. I'm currently half way through a 7-week trip to Honduras. The brushwork looks good and you're off to a good start, but please do rip it up and use the source engine to the full.

Mortality was actually one of the first maps I'd ever made, and I always wished I could have spent more time on the brushwork to make it more interesting. I was fixated with making sure the gameplay was there though, so I kinda quit while I was ahead and left it rather architecturally bland.

Take it apart, knock yourself out, keep the layout the same but make it purdy.

I've been penning out what I hope will become ff_immortality, and it's starting to take shape. There will be a few signature architectural and gameplay concepts but I've started fresh with a whole new concept. Hopefully source will allow me to realise it.

Keep up the work, keep whipping Defrag - that boy will work longer hours for less money than you think! He doesn't need feeding either.
o_wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2005, 05:33 AM   #29
o_azlan

lol thanks for the encouragement! I've done a LOT of new things to it since those ss's were posted. I have been ripping new holes all throughout the map since I posted them weeks ago. I plan on making the bases a old war facility of some sort (not sure just what yet) so hopefully you'll feel like there is a lot more to the map you don't see. Kind of like telling a story without taking away from gameplay by adding things to the actual flow of the map. Of course, there are some details I'm in the process of adding. I'm also working on fixing all the problems I encountered with the brushwork as I was recreating it. I'm learning everytime I open it and hopefully once I get decent ss's I'll post some new pics.

Old 07-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #30
o_luminous

ill be happy as long as all the little slides are there (eg the lips around the edges of the fr bridge things, and the one on the balc > balc ramp > attic)

other than that its lookin very good
o_luminous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2005, 12:05 AM   #31
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quiet, wiffle! We know what you keep on your PC, and we can gimp you again at will!

Old 08-21-2005, 02:54 PM   #32
o_wildfire

You wouldn't dare...
K, you would.

o_wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #33
o_sp0rk

I've never played the original map, but I like how that one looks. Reminds me of a movie theater lobby.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2005, 01:58 AM   #34
o_kam

Ahahahah Wildfire
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2005, 10:26 AM   #35
o_nezumi

My only advice is to stop using the dev/whatever textures even in the first place. (This is genearl advice, to anyone making maps)

You may as well use a concrete texture, like what you pick for your floor or walls.

Or, perhaps, it's me that's wierd. I always texture as I go. Unless I totally change my mind I don't bother to go back and do it long after the geometry's done.

But other than that: Keep up the good work. Looks solid. (And I mean that literally)
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #36
o_azlan

heh I originally used concrete textures and got raped in this forum for it, which is why you see dev textures now

I've been taking a break on mapping for the last month, but I plan to start up again closer to FF release, since I've got the map pretty well laid out already. Trying not to get burned out on it.

Old 08-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #37
o_akaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk
i dont wanna be harsh but that looks terrible
at the moment, default mortality_l in TFC is looking better
nice criticism. why don't you offer tips instead of just bluntly saying "it's bad"
o_akaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2005, 03:45 AM   #38
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akaroo
Quote:
Originally Posted by valk
i dont wanna be harsh but that looks terrible
at the moment, default mortality_l in TFC is looking better
nice criticism. why don't you offer tips instead of just bluntly saying "it's bad"
Because if he did that, we'd all have to question whether or not his account got hacked, or if his mind had been taken over by a brain slug.

Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 AM   #39
o_akaroo

well that won't do...

as for my opinion, the map isn't even that bad. i could add some detail and have it looking sharp in less than an hour. the only problem is that he's scaling the team symbol texture too wide. the indoor screen could use some curves in the geometry too, but that's about it.

i would say it's a decent "rough draft"
o_akaroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #40
o_valk

its shit
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote