Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2007, 04:23 AM   #101
Titan`

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I suggest you give up. The TF community is practically dead, with TFC catching up fast. d:
So my best bet is to wait for FF? I've already fallen out of TFC, all my clans are gone (or the original members of them at least) but it looks like a few old people play qwtf.. So I was trying to get this to work >.<

Last edited by Titan`; 06-28-2007 at 04:38 AM.
Titan` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2007, 04:48 AM   #102
zel

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Ok, so there are a few issues here which I will try to adress.

Firsty zelTF is designed for vanilla tf, and is updated with the latest OZTF mod, however it WILL support megaTF and customTF, which is why the servers are included on the list. However I do not support this compatability in any way because I know nothing about these two variants. You will however have to download a whole bunch of files on your first connection to either of these servers.

Yes, in the current version you can NOT alter your controls in the controls menu. These controls are just quake controls anyway, all the real key bindings are found in /fortress/fortress.cfg and classname.cfg, ie soldier.cfg. In the final release I will make it so that you can edit your controls in game, or if not, then by a small setup program that comes with zelTF.

Finally I am hearing people are having trouble with the download, I'm sorry I'm trying to fix this up now. Use a download manager and it should be fine or otherwise wait till I find an alternative server.

I looked at the SMBC client server package being mentioned in this thread and I would like to point out that it is a customTF package, and this is a different mod all together. (Rather than choosing a class, you start with money and buy weapons and features).

The first stable ZelTF release should be out within a few weeks.

Thankyou all for your feedback and stick with it. Oh, and please, read the readme.txt that comes with the program before asking questions.

Good luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:52 AM   #103
zel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I was using the server list he provided as a link, looking for ones that just said TF. Didn't do me a whole lot of good.
You are using beta 1. Update to beta 2 for a TF only server list.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:20 AM   #104
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by zel
I looked at the SMBC client server package being mentioned in this thread and I would like to point out that it is a customTF package, and this is a different mod all together. (Rather than choosing a class, you start with money and buy weapons and features).
There's a standard QWTF option (and server).

Old 06-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #105
zel

yeah i just downloaded and checked it out.

it will work, but i wouldn't say much more than that for it.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:18 AM   #106
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
...is working not the idea anymore?

Old 06-28-2007, 02:52 PM   #107
zel

lol circuitous, no serious tf player would take that bundle seriously, it is outdated, and competitively useless. ZelTF works great and I have gone to a lot of trouble to make a version which is graphically superiour and competitively geared. If it doesn't work for you I'd be happy to help you. Anyone who wants to play the SMBC version, should just download ezquake and tf28.zip thats all it is plus a couple of maps. It doesnt even use hardware rendering. Have a look at this comparative screenshot and decide.

SMBC Fortress

ZelTF

And the gfx is only a small part of the huge difference between these two bundles. I wont go into all the changes I've implemented because they are all outlined in the ZelTF forum thread over at:

http://quakeworld.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1905

Needless to say the current qwtf community has embraced the bundle, and I encourage anyone who is interested in playing qwtf to give it a go.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:00 PM   #108
GhOsT

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Boy, that first screenshot really brings me back.
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2007, 08:42 PM   #109
Titan`

I got it working and all, the controls are a bit diff than TFC, but perhaps I'll edit them (grenades to F/G, stuff like that).

Now if only there were some players in the servers
Titan` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #110
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zel
lol circuitous, no serious tf player would take that bundle seriously, it is outdated, and competitively useless. ZelTF works great and I have gone to a lot of trouble to make a version which is graphically superiour and competitively geared. If it doesn't work for you I'd be happy to help you. Anyone who wants to play the SMBC version, should just download ezquake and tf28.zip thats all it is plus a couple of maps. It doesnt even use hardware rendering.
What, exactly, is out-dated about it? Did they release a new version of TF while I wasn't looking?

How is yours more competitively-geared, because you include scripts? It can't be the models/graphics.

It's not that ZelTF didn't work, it just didn't work well, in my case. Aside from your included scripts, hardware rendering (which I think the SMBC bundle actually has anyway), and "better" models (in quotes because they're actually kind of awful), I fail to see how it's fundamentally better than any other QuakeTF package in existence.

In compact form: sorry, I don't think I'll be using this to play QWTF any time soon.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:01 AM   #111
biter

Circ, you shouldn't bag on zel's installer because it didnt come bloated with all the beavis and butthead sounds you need to play mega or custom tf. TFC doesnt come with all the NeoTF extras. The qwtf scene has actually needed something like zel's bundle for a long time.

I agree with you about some of the models, but the high-res textures and lit files really make some maps gorgeous (32smooth, tf2k, 2night2), and the grenades, sentry, and dispenser models are all a huge improvement. Setting up a gren timer can be a huge pain in qwtf, and the package comes with a good selection of maps (in their correct versions) and the loc files to go with them.

AND it comes with the best quake client, which is probably why zel said what he did about the other bundle. Ezquake is still being worked on, and if you have the time you should check out how deep its features go. MVD demos are cool, and with ezquake you can watch multiple perspectives split screen if you want. I know a few recent matches have been uploaded here:

http://www.challenge-tv.com/index.ph...=demos&game=38

Try zel's setup again on 69.28.220.150:27502 and see if you have the same problem as before. (I hope we dont have it on some obscure map when you try though.
biter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 06:08 AM   #112
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet
How the hell did I mispell that
LOL
Alot of times I don't misspell things I just type another word that sounds similar to the word I wanted to type. I think I'm dislexic. All the time I end up writting some letter for 7.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #113
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Oh I don't give a shit about it not including stuff for MegaTF or whatever. The sounds were a pain in the ass, but I don't blame him for that.

I ended up getting ezQuake to put over top of the SMBC bundle, as it happens, worked just fine... really if you know what you're doing at all none of these packs are needed, SMBC just had a leg up on already having a collection of servers and players pre-rigged into the game, none of the competitive bullshit either.

I think I'll use my SMBC setup to connect to your server just for kicks.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #114
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Fucking 3v3's. Why the fuck would I wanna just sit and watch you dumbasses play?

Old 06-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #115
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Nah, Circ is just.. excessively whiny sometimes. It used to say that under is name.

Oh btw, thanks you guys for helping me out. I'm someone (extremely) dissapointed. But what can I say, it's my fault for having such a turd bucket, none of yours.

I know I won't be able to play FF.. but I'm just an sad little emo kid, right? So I'm here just for the human contact.. yep..

there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 02:53 PM   #116
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by there's nothing here
Nah, Circ is just.. excessively whiny sometimes. It used to say that under is name.

Oh btw, thanks you guys for helping me out. I'm someone (extremely) dissapointed. But what can I say, it's my fault for having such a turd bucket, none of yours.

I know I won't be able to play FF.. but I'm just an sad little emo kid, right? So I'm here just for the human contact.. yep..

so get a job and a computer..? did i miss something? seems you've lost totally hope on playing
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2007, 03:55 PM   #117
there's nothing here
lol

Location: Halfway sprawled out of a cardboard box at the bottom of a flight of stairs.
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Oh.

Maybe.
there's nothing here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2007, 09:19 PM   #118
skuLL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Fucking 3v3's. Why the fuck would I wanna just sit and watch you dumbasses play?
Call one more player and make it a 4v4.
skuLL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #119
Steveio

Is there a non-GL version of this?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:18 PM   #120
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuLL
Call one more player and make it a 4v4.
Great idea, except the pricks banned me.