KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
I think what troop is trying to say basically, he's comparing TFC to TF2 in the sense that it's not like the original game. We compare TF2 to TFC saying TF2 is nothing like TFC.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 06:13 PM   #42
myersjr

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Where could one find Quake Team Fortress?? I hear lots of talk about this game. Would i be correct in assuming that i would have to buy the game Quake?? I had seen later versions of Quake, but hey never interested me, who knows maybe im missing something..
myersjr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #43
Troop

You used to be able to download qw but i dont think therell be any servers for it now tbh and i doubt it will work on the new direct x's its v old now

Joker thats what i mean the pace of QWTF u got that flag and your were shifting some the adrenaline was going, and i think this pace and gameplay has been lost in trying to get awesome gfx this is in all games even q2 and q3 were the same. I'll try FF when i get a chance
Troop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM   #44
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Q1-Q3 (plus all expansions and stuff) are all on STEAM, and they lal work fine, minus the music
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 10:12 PM   #45
fireb0rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersjr
Where could one find Quake Team Fortress?? I hear lots of talk about this game. Would i be correct in assuming that i would have to buy the game Quake?? I had seen later versions of Quake, but hey never interested me, who knows maybe im missing something..
there are still a few servers up, but they're mostly crappy "monster" servers. maybe you'll get lucky, though.

you can download the old TF mod and other crap here, I honestly couldn't find it anywhere else: http://www.zeltf.com/

yeah, you'd have to buy quake though.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2008, 02:42 AM   #46
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
There's a nice package available here along with stuff for CustomTF and batch files to auto-join their servers.

zelTF is more customized and customizable though.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:23 AM   #47
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Wasn't zeltf the one made by that guy who wouldn't shut up in our forums about it?

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2008, 04:10 PM   #48
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout and Medic
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to Private_Joker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Wasn't zeltf the one made by that guy who wouldn't shut up in our forums about it?
Yes.

-Joker
Private_Joker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 11:37 AM   #49
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troop
You used to be able to download qw but i dont think therell be any servers for it now tbh and i doubt it will work on the new direct x's its v old now
There is the software called ezQuake, which allows you to run Q1 on current version of Windows
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 03:31 AM   #50
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
Quote:
Originally Posted by myersjr
I got it from MODDB. There are very few servers with people on it though. So I never really go a real game of QWTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0rn
there are still a few servers up, but they're mostly crappy "monster" servers. maybe you'll get lucky, though.

you can download the old TF mod and other crap here, I honestly couldn't find it anywhere else: http://www.zeltf.com/

yeah, you'd have to buy quake though.
What's a monster server?
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #51
$h4m3

As much as I hate to say it, TF2 will be the future of TF. Alot of the old TFC guys plan on dying with their game and not venturing into the world of FF (which is sad really, considering FF is the most true to TFC). FF players are leaving for TF2 and TF2 has its own group of players that picked it up for the first time. Being out on the console as well as the PC is also a HUGE plus for TF2.

I'm pretty sure TF2 is easier on computers than FF is also, being cell-shaded and all. So, sadly, the cartoony world of TF2 that, in my mind, is in no-way true to the originals, will take over and we'll follow down that path. You also can't beat Valve's user support and constant updates. They have a paid staff with the ability to immediately respond to the demands of its users.

I also feel that more classes will have to be added sometime down the road. I think a cover system would be a great addition as well to try and make a more strategic game than we currently have. The constant DM is annoying sometimes.
$h4m3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #52
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by $h4m3
I'm pretty sure TF2 is easier on computers than FF is also, being cell-shaded and all.
TF2 is not cell-shaded. It's actually pretty hardcore rendering that produces the vibrant, colorful cartoon look that it has. My PC runs FF much faster than it runs TF2. Tell your friends.

Quote:
..try and make a more strategic game than we currently have. The constant DM is annoying sometimes.
Again, think of hockey-- a small group of random players with skates, sticks, a puck, and a couple goals can fuck around and play whatever kind of hockey they want, and they'll continue to do that until the novelty wears off. But, if you encourage them to be a bit more social, then they'll coordinate with their play, and soon they'll find the real depth of the game.
Moral: talk to your team when you play FF, and eventually you'll get much more out of it than constant DMing. Tell your friends.

-Joker

Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #53
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Private_Joker
TF2 is not cell-shaded. It's actually pretty hardcore rendering that produces the vibrant, colorful cartoon look that it has. My PC runs FF much faster than it runs TF2. Tell your friends.
Well, it is cel-shaded, but not in the way we normally think of it...

On my old computer, TF2 and FF ran at about the same level, with TF2 being steadier, FPS-wise. More consistent mapping methods are to blame for that, I think... hopefully once our dedicated map optimizers have put some hard time in, our maps will also run brilliantly on more setups.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:37 PM   #54
$h4m3

Quote:
Again, think of hockey-- a small group of random players with skates, sticks, a puck, and a couple goals can fuck around and play whatever kind of hockey they want, and they'll continue to do that until the novelty wears off. But, if you encourage them to be a bit more social, then they'll coordinate with their play, and soon they'll find the real depth of the game.
Moral: talk to your team when you play FF, and eventually you'll get much more out of it than constant DMing. Tell your friends.

-Joker
Average TF pub player generally has no interest in coordination. They (generally) are constantly aware of their own personal K2D ratio though.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #55
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Average TF pub player generally has no interest in coordination. They (generally) are constantly aware of their own personal K2D ratio though.
Let's focus on changing that, then. Be friendly, ask for help with team objectives, invite them back to play with you, etc.

Lack of attention to gameplay is what's killing First-Person Shooters. Attention-deficit console-gamer mentality is taking over gaming, and it's players like us who need to bring back the respect to gaming, starting with Fortress.

That got a little deep, haha. It's true though, let's make Fortress more than a game, let's make it an institution--that's where I see TF in the future.

The war is never over!

-Joker

Old 06-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #56
$h4m3

Quote:
Let's focus on changing that, then. Be friendly, ask for help with team objectives, invite them back to play with you, etc.

Lack of attention to gameplay is what's killing First-Person Shooters. Attention-deficit console-gamer mentality is taking over gaming, and it's players like us who need to bring back the respect to gaming, starting with Fortress.

That got a little deep, haha. It's true though, let's make Fortress more than a game, let's make it an institution--that's where I see TF in the future.

The war is never over!

-Joker
Yet, I feel at least, that alone is elitist. Telling someone how to have fun? If someone enjoys a constant DM, you can't stop them from that. Is it irritating? Of course. The problem lies in the game design itself. It's not designed to be a strategic game. If you're good at DMing, you will own a pub. Repeatedly. Why? That's what the game is designed around. Cover is not something Fortress games have readily available. The ability to "flank" is not something you can easily do in most fortress maps. Cover fire is useless, most people will run in nades primed.

The only way to change the mentality of a gaming community is to change the game design itself.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #57
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Yet, I feel at least, that alone is elitist. Telling someone how to have fun? If someone enjoys a constant DM, you can't stop them from that. Is it irritating? Of course. The problem lies in the game design itself. It's not designed to be a strategic game. If you're good at DMing, you will own a pub. Repeatedly. Why? That's what the game is designed around. Cover is not something Fortress games have readily available. The ability to "flank" is not something you can easily do in most fortress maps. Cover fire is useless, most people will run in nades primed.

The only way to change the mentality of a gaming community is to change the game design itself.
It's not about game design... it's about the gametype of the map. CTF is not meant for public servers, and that's become far too obvious.

By the way, "owning a pub" depends on your definition of "owning". In FF, "owning" (on a CTF map) should NOT be killing a bunch of people. "Owning a pub" should be going on as O and capping a ton of flags, or going on D and not letting a single cap out. But, pubs don't actually go for flags, so "owning a pub" is useless.

By the way, the CTF gametype is certainly not designed around DMing in the least.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #58
$h4m3

Thus the quotation marks in my post. The average player feels that a good k2d ratio is owning a pub. This is largely based around the way the game is set up. You have x amount of health and armour and x weapons. Go have fun.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 PM   #59
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
This is largely based around the way the gametype is set up.
CTF is not new-player friendly. It is not played correctly, or even at all (meaning flags are unimportant or discarded), on pubs. THAT is the flaw you're talking about. Again, it's not the GAME; it is the GAMETYPE. We are working to solve this in future maps.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2008, 11:48 PM   #60
Private_Joker
a fucking comedian
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by =$h4m3
Telling someone how to have fun? If someone enjoys a constant DM, you can't stop them from that.
True, but my point is that people don't enjoy constant DM for long. At first it's all they do, because it's the easiest thing to do, and they have fun, but it gets old quick. If we don't help new players to discover the real depth of Fortress, they'll leave after the novelty wears off.

Quote:
The problem is, when you change a game to restrict behavior to adhere to how the game is "supposed to be played", the play becomes too repetitive (I believe this was TF2's mistake, among others). But, inversely, the freedom to play the game as you want, in different ways, also affords you the freedom to play like a dumbass. Still, one thing I love about the TF games is that all the classes are powerful, so you can play your role in whatever style you want.

-Joker