Old 03-07-2008, 02:09 PM   #1
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
8800 GTX 768MB anyone?

mb not the right forum for this, but does anyone out there have an "8800 GTX 768MB" and pretty decent components for the rest of their system pls? i've been waiting to upgrade my gfx card until there's a single card (non-SLI) solution that can run FF flawlessly, and i'm hoping that this current generation can do just that. by "flawlessly" i mean the fps never dips below whatever i limit it to (ideally 2x my refresh rate, but it might have to be 1x still if the cards aren't up to it yet) even when there are 20 ppl spamming the donkeys out of dustbowl.

rest of my system is:
- dualcore 4200+ athlon.
- 2GB decent ram.
- 2 decent hard drives in mirror RAID mode.

oh ye, and i'll running with resolution of 1680x1050, v highest model details, and v lowest world/shader/hdr/etc settings.

so, hopefully rest of system will not be a problem so long as there is a gfx card out there now that is capable of doing this, and from reviews i've read the 8800 GTX 768MB seems to be the best high-memory nvidia offering (some FF maps seem to need a load of memory so i think 512 isn't enough) and there's no way i'm buying ati after my last experience.

anyone out there got one pls?
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
I'll put this in the tech section...someone is bound to help you out.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:53 PM   #3
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
I'll put this in the tech section...someone is bound to help you out.
Before my power supply died back in October (haven't played since because of it), I was running Dual 8800GTX 768mb cards in SLI, with a Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4ghz & 8gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 on Vista Ultimate 64bit.

I'll just say that with the highest settings (1680x1050 res w/ highest AA/AF, and model/textures at highest) possible in game, I never went below 80fps at any point in time.

Last edited by Anshinritsumai; 03-07-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
Zatoichi

im running a 2.8ghz core2 duo(this is an overclocked e6320 from 1.86 to 2.8 with a fsb of 1600mhz and a voltage of 1.4, and 4mb of L2 cache)
4gb of crucial ballistix ddr2 800
dual raptors in raid 0
1 8800gtx for right now
i play at 16x12 with everything set on high and 4xAA and trilinear with hdr enabled and average about 260fps with dips of around 90 and spikes pegged at 300
running vista ultimate 32bit

Last edited by Zatoichi; 03-08-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 PM   #5
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
i have a 8800GT 256MB, 5600+X2, running at 1278(w/e the number is)x1024, and it runs fine at highest settings possible, with full AA and AF, full model, reflection, HDr, texture, etc. not too bad for a 256MB! But, i need to turn on simple reflections on a spammy game on waterpolo to get above 15-20FPS.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

cheers for the info. it seems like a single 8800 GTX 768MB really should definitely be able to always maintain an fps of at least 1x my refresh rate without ever dipping, which is my essential requirement. when i get it i'll see if it can cope with 2x or maybe even higher multiples (sounds unlikely from what ppl have said), but if it can then that's just a little bonus really.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:56 PM   #7
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

oh, and can someone pls tell me what are the differences between:

vista home basic 64 bit
vista home premium 64 bit
vista business 64 bit
vista ultimate 64 bit

Old 03-11-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Bubbles
Bueno

Price
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
Etzell
D&A Member

Here ya go.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Mudfrog

Class/Position: D - Sniper, Demo, Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
rest of my system is:
- dualcore 4200+ athlon.
- 2GB decent ram.
- 2 decent hard drives in mirror RAID mode.
The gfx card is not going to have a problem running the game, the bottle neck for your gfx card is going to be your cpu, even though it's a dual core it will not allow the 8800gtx to run at it's full potential. That being said you should not have a problem running the game. I've got a X2 4600+, 2GB RAM and 8800GT (660 / 1900) and at 1280x1024 with max details including 6xAA and 16x Anti..thingy.. Full HDR and I average about 150 peaking at 300 and dipping as low as 85ish when the server is lagging.
Mudfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
a server cant affect FPS

anyways, my 5600+X2, great CPU. my GPU is holding it back, kinda. my FPS no matter how much spam, fire, NPCs, water, physics calcuations ever ever goes below 10FPS in the most spammy, weird, crash-the-server spam in gmod.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #12
Mudfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
a server cant affect FPS
Theoretically no, but when a server is lagging bad my fps plummets, could be a different cause, but what I have no idea...

Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #13
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

ok, cheers everyone.

i'm gonna go for:
- 8800 GTX 768MB
- vista home premium 64 bit
- another 2gb RAM (4gb total)
- a decent 800W psu

hopefully should run FF v nicely. as many others have said, i think one of the major reasons why some longtime TFC players don't embrace FF atm is simply because you need a system like that to play FF in the completely smooth manner that we are now all used to in TFC, and that we require/demand when we play a fast competitive game like TFC/FF. most ppl just don't have nearly sufficient systems. however, if the current generation of top hardware is able to do this then that's great news for FF, because similar performance will filter down into the mid-range hardware and hence hopefully allow a typical mid-range gaming system to play FF perfectly not too far into the future!

Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Do NOT go 64 bit. Seriously. Stay 32 bit. Unless you have some piece of software driving you that direction save yourself the headache of dealing with countless driver issues. If you have to try 64 bit at least buy Vista Ultimate so that you have both the 32 and 64 bit version available so that once you've decided that 64 bit is not worth the headache you can reinstall with 32...

Rumor mill says that Microsoft is thinning development staff from Vista and is pushing it towards the next Windows version as they've recognized, at least internally, that Vista is a mess and they cannot fix it in the way it needs to be fixed...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
Mudfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Do NOT go 64 bit. Seriously. Stay 32 bit. Unless you have some piece of software driving you that direction save yourself the headache of dealing with countless driver issues. If you have to try 64 bit at least buy Vista Ultimate so that you have both the 32 and 64 bit version available so that once you've decided that 64 bit is not worth the headache you can reinstall with 32...

Rumor mill says that Microsoft is thinning development staff from Vista and is pushing it towards the next Windows version as they've recognized, at least internally, that Vista is a mess and they cannot fix it in the way it needs to be fixed...

Agree'd.. 64 bit is not worth the effort.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

should i stick with xp pro then? only reason i was thinking of getting vista was because it's 64 bit and i figured that must make btr use of the cpu. clearly i'm wrong, so are there any reasons to use vista 32bit over xp 32bit? all i want to do is run FF

Old 03-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
should i stick with xp pro then? only reason i was thinking of getting vista was because it's 64 bit and i figured that must make btr use of the cpu. clearly i'm wrong, so are there any reasons to use vista 32bit over xp 32bit? all i want to do is run FF
If all you want to do is run FF then stick with XP. I am running Vista and it is a pain at times. I had a "cannot find boot device" occur a month after I built my system. It turns out that my DVD drive wasn't responding as Vista expected... huh? I was able to fix it but the way Vista hangs or just refuses to work as it should is just bewildering. I've found work arounds for most of the idiotic permissions crap that has been implemented in it. If you want to just get up and running...stick with XP and save your money. There are no "to die for" features in Vista IMO. I have two large hard drives and the stuff I care about is on my second drive in case Vista makes me mad enough to abandon it.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:26 PM   #18
Mudfrog

Personally I'd stick with XP Pro.. yes.. 64 bit does yield better performance but it's not worth the amount of bugs that you'll encounter along the way. And the only reason I said XP over Vista is due to the fact it takes less system resources to run and I've never gamed on Vista so I dunno how well it games.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:33 PM   #19
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog
Personally I'd stick with XP Pro.. yes.. 64 bit does yield better performance but it's not worth the amount of bugs that you'll encounter along the way. And the only reason I said XP over Vista is due to the fact it takes less system resources to run and I've never gamed on Vista so I dunno how well it games.
I've played BF2, BF2:SF, HL2, STALKER, C&C:G, C&CG:ZH, Crysis all on Vista. It seems to run fine. Conventional wisdom says that all of those will likely run faster on XP though I have not tested it on my setup. It runs fast enough for me so unless the system craps out due to a Vista glitch I'll stick with it. Hopefully SP1 of Vista will yield an increase in speed.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #20
Mudfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
I've played BF2, BF2:SF, HL2, STALKER, C&C:G, C&CG:ZH, Crysis all on Vista. It seems to run fine. Conventional wisdom says that all of those will likely run faster on XP though I have not tested it on my setup. It runs fast enough for me so unless the system craps out due to a Vista glitch I'll stick with it. Hopefully SP1 of Vista will yield an increase in speed.

My laptop is running Vista and I do actually prefer the layouts over XP, but you can't do much gaming with a GMA 910