Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #81
o_general levy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm just saying chill out, cos the Earth's an OK place to live right now, and we have been burning Fossil Fuel for over 100 years.

Anyway, stop having a go at me! China and India will become the biggest burneres soon enough. Then even if we all switch over to Green Energy, it would not make any difference, as those two countries have a combined population of 2.5billion And who are we to say, we burnt FFs to develop, but you can't. It just wouldn't wash.

So what do we do? We try and use the Oil we have in a more efficient way. Use Nuclear Power to cut out FF Power Stations, while at the same time building up renewable capacity so as to eventually phase out Nuclear Power too. If Fusion comes along some time soon, which it won't, then all well and good.

Oil is used for a lot of things - Pharmaceuticals, Plastics etc, but the largest consumer is the different forms of Transport we have: Diesel Trains, Aeroplanes, Cars, Ships (Nuclear Powered aircraft carriers aside). Basically our whole way of life is based on burning Fuel to move things around. One of the easiest ways to address this is by focusing on the largest market: the personal car.

Lexus just brought out a Hybrid Car which they are advertising over here. Now obviously these things are going to be expensive for a while, and are not even a LT solution, as they still effectively burn oil - but its a step in the right direction. LNG is supposedly going to be the next big thing, as it can now be safely transported with these 1billion pound Tankers they have built. Gas gives off hardly any Carbon when burnt and is extremely efficient. More and more Petrol stations have LNG filling pumps.

So a lot of stuff is being developed, but you can't just replace the internal combustion engine overnight. Government needs to take the lead here, not individuals, as it will never work that way.
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #82
o_robg

I think you're arguing against something no-one said. I can't be bothered to point out each thing you mention which isn't refuting (or relevant to) any previous points, but basically if you read back your post and see something that isn't relevant to the statement we need to be careful with fossil fuels, not burning them needlessly, and we are all responsible for taking care of our own consumption of them, then it was probably not strictly speaking necessary to say it.

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Levy
the Earth's an OK place to live right now
If you're this short-sighted, you should've gone to SpecSavers.
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 10:46 AM   #83
o_salty milkshake

I'm not trying to have a go at you, but you really are talking rubbish :P
Can't be bothered to argue every point, but here are 2:

India and China won't be able to afford oil before too long.

You can't expect goverments to take the lead on moving away from oil, nearly the entire Bush administration are part of the oil industry.
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 AM   #84
o_general levy

If there wasn't an Oil Industry, Peugeot wouldn't have a Plant in Coventry, and then the City would be an even more crime-ridden cess pool.
o_general levy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #85
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
The Earth is a lot tougher than you might think - if the Earth wants to fuck us over she will do so whether we burn oil or not. All this "we humans are going to destroy the Earth" nonsense smacks of arrogance - who are we to think we can destroy a planet? This planet can hit back with ice ages, volcanic eruptions, natural disasters of an unfathomable scale. And life will go on - not in the same way, but this planet will not become a barren Mars-like wasteland. Aren't we just about due an ice age anyway?

The Oil companies are the first ones to invest in alternative energy - they want to be around and making profits even if oil is no longer viable as an energy source. When we truly need something, we will develop it.
he's quite right you know, the earth will cope with all the shit we're throwing at it, but not in our sort of timescale. remember the earth was once a molten mess.. that was MILLIONS of years ago.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM   #86
o_salty milkshake

Or indeed billions of years, but I'm not sure what your point is?

Quote:
If there wasn't an Oil Industry, Peugeot wouldn't have a Plant in Coventry, and then the City would be an even more crime-ridden cess pool.
I'm not from Coventry, I just live here, you won't see me defending it. I work for Peugeot (the Manufacturing side won't be here for that much longer).

I think a lot of it's problems stem from the Luftwaffe flatening it a while back.

I'm not against the oil industry as such, I'm just aware of the reality of the world we're living in.

Old 09-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #87
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. I do not believe in the theories of planetary destruction via the internal combustion engine. I have never read anyone's paper that was not miserably slanted and horribly inaccurate. Growing up the Chicken Littles were clucking about Global Cooling. At some point they switched to Global Warming. It's junk science.

Right now fossil fuels are easy and cheap to extract and make useable so the businesses in place to do so are able to make their money at a very low production cost point. Unless Gov't force the issue it will take the reserves of readily available fossil fuels drying up to make them look elsewhere. Where I live, what I do for a living and the activities I am engaged with require that I drive 20,000+ miles a year. I also happen to be an enthusiast so I do what I can to make those 20K miles a year more fun.

If you want to get busy making yourselves feel better about your own efforts bark at the powers that be to get busy finding a commercially viable alternative power plant.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 03:33 PM   #88
o_robg

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
I have never read anyone's paper that was not miserably slanted and horribly inaccurate...It's junk science.
Chalk one up for the US propaganda machine.

I mean seriously, what job a) means you have to drive 20k miles a year and b) makes you an authority on global warming. I'd love to know.

Some sort of adventuring climate tester perhaps, traversing the globe with a whip and a gun.

Or alternatively you're spouting tired platitudes, copied from the cigarette industry, which have been repeatedly spoon-fed to you by petrolheads.

I don't know which it is, I'm just listing the possibilities.
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #89
o_salty milkshake

to be fair 20K miles a year isn't that much, it's only a 40 mile commute, twice a day, five times a week, fifty weeks a year

Old 09-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #90
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Does it matter? Seriously. Clearly you're ok with the "information" on global warming. I'm not. And we're just two morons on an internet message board. What does any of it matter? There's almost NEVER discussion on message boards. Typically it's entrenched opponents in different camps lobbing mortars on each other.

As far as the quantity of driving goes keep in mind that things are alot more spread out over here than in the UK. Nevada is a huge state and we do not have the population density that you have there.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:29 PM   #91
o_jinx

Yeah, that's the Bush way. Why listen to those "scientists" with their crazy "reseach" and "facts". Much better to close your eyes, cover your ears, and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" and hope things turn out okay! After all, it didn't say anything in the Bible about global warming, it must be a lie just like evolution!

I paid $60 to fill up my tank yesterday
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 04:33 PM   #92
o_jinx

Quote:
The Oil companies are the first ones to invest in alternative energy
Actually, they buy it up to prevent anyone from developing it and challenging their monopoly on the energy market.

I agree, the Earth will probably be just fine in the long run. It has a system which, over time, will return it to homeostasis. A system which really doesn't give a damn about us, as most people in New Orleans will tell you. The ones that aren't dead.
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #93
o_sizeablessonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx
Yeah, that's the Bush way. Why listen to those "scientists" with their crazy "reseach" and "facts". Much better to close your eyes, cover your ears, and say "LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA" and hope things turn out okay! After all, it didn't say anything in the Bible about global warming, it must be a lie just like evolution!

I know. Hes thinking "I need me some more money!"

And $60????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now its like "do I want to drive or buy a game?"
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 04:59 PM   #94
o_sizeablessonic

This is Bush: "All your oil are belong to U.S."

Edit: CRAP did not mean to double post. Is there any way to deleete a post?
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 05:00 PM   #95
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
hahahahahahahahaha... urm, yea
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #96
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:

No, actually it's digging into what they are saying....checking the support for what they say and not being satisfied when they can't or won't explain the gaps. It's rubbish.

Old 09-02-2005, 06:47 PM   #97
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG
Mate, other than some very flawed logic there, you don't wanna be waiting till the Apocolypse to see if there's a god - if you were to find there isn't, you'd have been wasting your time, and were you to find there is, you'd be too late
Yeah... flawed because of pain killers. I doesn't make any sense sometimes. Ick... I hate the itchyness that accompaneis this shit.

---goddammit, its making not sense.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #98
o_captain_cadaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Quote:

No, actually it's digging into what they are saying....checking the support for what they say and not being satisfied when they can't or won't explain the gaps. It's rubbish.
aye, liberal hippies lie just as much as big buisness to prove a point. Everyone remember in the 4th grade when our teachers made us write reports for earth day saying that the lumber industry is evil, pesticides and genetically enhanced foods are poisonous, and recycling trash is the solution to everything? What a bunch of crapola that we have to be hand-fed that shit from the cradle.

Anywho, the reason U.S. oil is going up...there alot of factors, but the big one is China. As China is becoming a bigger world power, they need coal and oil for their industry. Just this summer they bought out a Canadian oil company. Basically there is alot of oil being used but not enough pumping out of the ground. Like said before, we need to work on extraction and extraction processes. Maybe some of my colleagues in the petroleum engineering dept. can help with that.
o_captain_cadaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #99
o_salty milkshake

Are you in the urea extraction dept?

Old 09-02-2005, 08:24 PM   #100
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_cadaver
Anywho, the reason U.S. oil is going up...there alot of factors, but the big one is China. As China is becoming a bigger world power, they need coal and oil for their industry. Just this summer they bought out a Canadian oil company. Basically there is alot of oil being used but not enough pumping out of the ground. Like said before, we need to work on extraction and extraction processes. Maybe some of my colleagues in the petroleum engineering dept. can help with that.
Demand....pure and simple is the biggest part...or so my gut says, however, that there's alot of profit making going on in the Oil Industry. At least that's the take I have reading their public financial statements...well the summaries anyway...