Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Devs: teh plan

Aight well im not a dev or something im just going to post a decent plan to activate FF, it contains the usual stuff: work out with the stability and stuff to then release a big fat patch with advertising... but POINT by POINT, using colors for the diferent difficulties, EASY, MEDIUM, and HARD.

TEH PLAN v1.0

Step 1: the easy part

Its no secret that the FF community its in a special moment, the ammount of players its decreasing very little and increasing very little too, its like frozen, thats cos there is a community of regular players, when i get in a server i see almost always the same people, wich means unless if u devs totaly forget about this game, u will have "base" of players for at least some months.

Lets start with the easy stuff that can be done right now:

* Delete ALL the "FF is dead" threads, they dont help at all, even if some of them where made by guys that cares bout FF, those threads damage the image of game. Dont allow this kind of threads unless they have solutions in it, if not, they are part of the problem.

* Create a forum section for clans, this encourage ppl to make clans, join clans, seek for clans, i dont want to make this long so ill stop now but its really obvius this will help.

* Update the download links at the webpage, ppl dont want to get into forums and search for patchs and versions and other stuff, they want to clik, download and play.

* Official IRC channel for pickups

* The users that are (decent) mappers and lua coders = precious users, ask em to join your team for helping you guys with the map creation process, this will certainly save lots of hours of mapping for u devs and will encourage the users to keep mapping, plus the releases of official maps would come out faster and the polishing of maps like epicenter and others. Ofc maybe the map leader can supervise them and stuff but still they are going to be really helpfull

* Make THIS thread sticky

Step 2: the guide

About the guide, ive seen the wikipedia thread and tbh its not going to work out well.. when i made a guide for my country it was like this:

Begining to play guide:
introduction explaining clearly but also like trying to sell the game (lots of cool screens), then a FF pic with some numbers, a little down the explanation of what was in those numbers, then some technical info about the nades and the skills, then a brief explanation of each class, not too deep but if u read it u will understand much more if u have to read this confusing guide with TOOONS of info that is explaining u how to be a uberly experimented demoman when u just want to blow things up and kill people. Also i aded the changes from TFC to FF in each class, not all of em but some, and at the end i added the most immportant changes + changes 1.0 to 1.1 and stuff... here is the link to the guide for u to get the idea:

http://foro.gameland.com.ar/showthread.php?t=119339

Then i also made a TECHNICAL PROBLEMS guide (with a FPS guide (about the directx, commands, and stuff) and solutions for crashes and all that stuff), a SKILL guide (freaturing concing, strafe, aiming with rpg, and all that stuff), a CONFIG guide (to make binds configurations and stuff) and this one that i didnt even start it but it would be what are the guys in the wiki thread are doing, a ADVANCED CLASS GUIDE, that one will take lot of time and it must not be this huuuge fucking guide but a big one with the necesary information.

I can try translate the guide i made and the other ones, it will take time tough and polishing due my not to good knowledge of the english language)

* Make a simple guide + tecnical problems + config + skills + a advanced one (i think all of em or all except the advanced one should be at the main page but even if i manage to do it right away (no way) they shouldnt be at the web till the web gets upgraded

Step 3: stability

By relevance:

* Host_Error: CL_CopyExistingEntity: missing client entity xxx. This bug kicks people out of the server, ive seen it happend to more than half of the server at the same time, ITS NOT A AISLATED CASE BUG, and its fucked up. The only real patter or whatever ive noticed, at the map openfire_sh4x it happends like 5 times more often than in other maps at the point of people was getting kicked by groups of 5+

* The pyro IC bug http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=12850

* Flag bug http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=13151, ive noticed this happends too with the people that is set on fire (the flames stay back like traces, im not saying the bug where the flames keep going out of nowhere but just as the flag bug)

* Respawning with the camera as crouched

* Flames staying in the air with no reason at all

and others less important

Step 4: in-game modifications

not much to say, i hope there are devs around to work this things out:

* Add the medkit animation of this thread: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=12720

* Remove the -100 points for killing yourself

* Change the message of the spy`s sabotage like this: when the bar is filled it must say "Sabotage Unit PLACED" and in the menu has to say "Activate SENTRYGUN unit" or something like that, that way it would be way more easy to understand how the sabotage freature works

* Add the shotgun reload animation of this thread: http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...602#post302602

* Swim animations

* Change the model of the pyro`s IC, at least color it with a color and remove the rocket counter (it always stays in 0).. u can make it orange or team-colored but make it diferent than the rpg.

* Add a freature that allows the a AC fire as "automatic", with "+special", this means even if they hold the fire button the bar will only fill to the middle, avoiding the overheating but not shooting as intense as the manual mode (that can pass the middle of the bar of the fire intensity). This will help noobs a lot.

Step 5: preparing for the release

Real Advertisment:

* Make a donation option

* Pay for getting the game publicited with that money

* Get all the advertisment you can, posting at the steam forums, mouth to mouth, getting into TFC/TF2 servers and telling ppl about FF (lots of them dont even know about the existing of the FF)

* Use the steam offer of getting publicited (create a goodamn good text that sells the game)

Media Advertisment:

* Total conversion of the actual webpage and the forums maybe too, the screenshots sections is a pice of shit, we must take at least 5 incredibly good screenshots full of action and wrath, about the class screens i made some that people is using but i can do better with some of those. At the webpage we must add the guides in a decent and easy to undesrtand way and at the forums almost all the stickies must be cleaned and some of them removed.

* We must have some good videos with lot of action, ffs this game can have more action at a video than anyone with the flying dismembered corpses and all the guns and fire and explotions and bazookas and granades ahhh i have lots of good ideas and i can send some cool demos, and please remove the staying alive video and all those that really suck, the only decent yet is the dustbowl one (that for me lacks lot of action) and the ones be_ made

* At least 1 "trailer" really well done

User behavior:

We, the old users with years of experience must contribute to the game, u know when u get to a server and u start killing everybody with nades and stuff and the guys dont even know that they cand hold the button to make the nade blow off earlier, dont be so harsh with em and sometimes let em pass u or take a flag or kill u or something like that, that plus teaching em it has good results. My clan is willing to teach to new people and stuff, we can arrange some date or stuff like that, we`ll see but the main thing is..

* Old players, dont be assholes to the new players, and cut em a slack, teach em stuff if u can and blah blah

Step 6: the release

At this step if all said before get done, we must have a game with advertising, major-bugs free, cool media, easy for new players to get in (easy acces to simple guides, at least get 3 links for the full download plus the torrent before releasing it at the public), players willing to welcome the noob ones, and a great great GREAT game.

This beein said, now there is only one thing to know, is there are a dev crew around here to make this plan? cos i have no doubt right now there IS a community of non-devs players willing to help... but if devs are not around, then lets just give up on this now.

Last edited by GhostBuster; 12-10-2007 at 02:12 AM.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 09:34 PM   #2
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Yes to all of this. This is totally the way we need to go with this game. Dustbowl and one that may be considered a trailor-ish vid are in the works for me, but it has been very hard to work on them because of an other project. Need more time. Within this month. Thank you for posting teh plan.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I agree as well, even if there's some grammar mistakes, awesome ideas.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Hey well, im spanish (Argentina), it was hard enough to think in all that...

Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
That IS a lot of shit.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
DarkieJ

i agree Yes but the -100 kill damage.. why would you remove it? its in it.. it dousnt matter for people I think they dont have enough people to create animation on it
DarkieJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Camphlobactor

Stability should be before modifications. Those are high priority issues and it's much better to be able to play the game then not being able to play at all.
Camphlobactor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
im just wondering why cant they yse the same animation from the super shotty to the single? Also, isnt the super's anim valve's orginal shotty anim for HL2?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
a082

add player shadow,it will make more beauty.truth proved, player need beauty visual.
a082 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #10
a082

and make an official 2fort, many people want it.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkieJ
i agree Yes but the -100 kill damage.. why would you remove it? its in it.. it dousnt matter for people I think they dont have enough people to create animation on it
Lots of people just take care too much about the score, or others just get frustrated, or others like me wants to know how many people we really killed/flags capped and stuff with out the lost points by kamikaze shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camphlobactor
Stability should be before modifications. Those are high priority issues and it's much better to be able to play the game then not being able to play at all.
Totally agree, ill change it right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a082
add player shadow,it will make more beauty.truth proved, player need beauty visual.
Id rather stay with critical addons, those freatures can come after or with the patch if they already got everything to go but if they had to take lot time doing it ill say let it pass for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a082
and make an official 2fort, many people want it.
Yes of course, many people want rock2 too.. but its hard to map thats why i put the "get mappers out of the mapping forum" at the first step.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:34 PM   #12
=AS= Pt

The best plan i have seen here. Congratulations Ghost.

I would also say to make a visible Download (full version), download (patch 1.11) butons. Making it easy to every people to download and start playing the game.

The user behavior is another BIG issue. Teach all people,so they stick...

The post he had in the other forum its very good two. Very good descripion of classes.

GREAT POST. This one will stay in top of forum for a long time i say.

Thank you Ghost
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 12:34 AM   #13
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Well, you certainly seem to have thought long and hard about this. Makes a good read!

I'm pretty sure that at least a few of the things on your list are being worked on, but yes, major bugs such as that "Client" thing need to be ironed out (and FPS need to be improved!), the website needs more day-to-day attention, and playerguides for the newbies are very important as well. I also keep enviously staring at the INS mod, who have a strong PR machine going on, with polished videos being released and regular updates on the development process and so on and so forth.

Anyway, yes - agree with nearly 100% of what you said. Let's get to work!
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 02:50 AM   #14
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
TL;DR

Just kidding. Nice work there Ghosty. Gimme a bit to digest it before actually commenting or making redundant comments.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:55 AM   #15
shadow
Retired FF Staff

so is 2fort not being done at all?
has there been progress?

i was done with mapping for this mod, but if you guys need someone to work on it, i could probably finish it up for you.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #16
a082

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
so is 2fort not being done at all?
has there been progress?

i was done with mapping for this mod, but if you guys need someone to work on it, i could probably finish it up for you.
I want 2fort~

Old 12-05-2007, 09:31 AM   #17
Toffee

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Thats the sort of response I was looking for from the thread i started, good job Ghost.

Actions speak louder than words though. Someone with authority needs to do this stuff, or to give the authority to people who are volunteering to do this stuff. Especially the website in my opinion.

Where the hell are all the devs to respond to this? Do they not want the mod to be a success or something?

Old 12-05-2007, 10:44 AM   #18
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Great job Ghostbustar.
One more thing - change the main menu image to a kind of nice demo,someone already suggested it.And let that demo be an option in options ().As we all know, the people want cool game.If a main screen look's scary, some retards wont even join a server, so change it!
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 11:08 AM   #19
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Yes!!!
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #20
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Lots of people just take care too much about the score, or others just get frustrated, or others like me wants to know how many people we really killed/flags capped and stuff with out the lost points by kamikaze shots.
thats why the traditional -1 kills never bothered anyone? i dont see a problem with punishing suicide.