Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Anyone know how to model in 3DS Max?

I'm using the program for the first time to try to convert some models into useable textures/models for my map.

Currently, I've got the Wall Worm tool installed and unfortunately I'm stuck.

I can export the model .qc/.smd files as well as the VMT files just fine, but it won't export the VTF files. Apparently the Wall Worm tool requires the file types of each texture be used as either .TGA or .PSD files. My texture files were all .JPG files. To try to fix this problem, I converted the .JPGs to .TGA files, then went into the 3DS Max Slate Material Editor to change the filename/path as well as the Bitmap parameters.

Screenshot:

Now, when I try to export VMTs/VTFs, I actually see the VTF files available but they are grayed out with a reason: INVALID DIMENSIONS.

Any idea what can be done to fix this issue?

Screenshot:
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Last edited by KubeDawg; 03-21-2014 at 09:41 PM.
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Ok, I found a workaround to this problem by saving all the JPG files as VTF with the VTF plugin for Photoshop. Once I did this, I still needed to compile the.qc file so it would become a .mdl file to open in hammer.

When I attempt to compile using the GUIStudioMDL compiler, I keep getting a "Can't find steam app user info." error. I've verified all the file paths are correct for the gameinfo.txt & the .qc files. I get this same error while in 3DS Max when I export the model files (A little windows cmd window appears and shows the error), but it is still able to save the .qc and .smd files just fine so I have no clue what I'm doing at this point.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Have you reinstalled source sdk, sdk base 2006, or fortress forever since the steam pipe update?

Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

I believe so. I've at least gone to SDK 2006 properties, local files and used the Verify Integrity option and it re-downloaded the SDK. I've not reinstalled Source SDK or FF though since.

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #5
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Download Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer. It should show up in your steamapps\common directory. Go in and copy the bin folder.(folder itself and everything in it.)

Paste but do NOT merge it into your Steam\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin\ep1 folder.

Take the option to rename instead of merge. Name it something like binMODEL. At this point you could probly just point wallworm to that folder. If not, when you want to model go in and rename bin to something like binMAPPING and rename binMODEL to bin.

I tried just merging the bins but it ended up breaking sdk tools for me, so i couldn't map or use the model viewer. Which is why I plan on doing this name juggling to keep everything happy.

I'm still having problems compiling vtfs as you were, but I think this is just a simple lack of proper pathing.

If you don't want to do the folder juggle, you could try just replacing studiomdl.exe and vtex.exe from your 2013 bin into your sdk bin. I haven't tried that but it was suggest by the wallworm fellow.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 08-03-2014 at 03:19 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM   #6
StinkyTaco

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
If you needing to convert some existing models , you might want to take a peek at Blender, and the Valve supported exporters for HalfLife 2.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...nder_SMD_Tools

You can import and export everything except .MAX files with blender. Most people will export OBJ, or 3DS files for static meshes, and Collada or FBX for animated things from 3D studio, to get them into Blender.

Blender makes it easy to use Unity too. Unity can read .Blend files, and automatically convert everything over.

Hope you find a solution, those models look really nice!

EDIT:
"Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015"
Awesome! i love your server! If you need an Admin, let me know, I play for about 3 hours a day. I am sure i will play more after my next project is done.

EDIT EDIT: Fixed link, i was linking to old page:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...nder_SMD_Tools

Last edited by StinkyTaco; 04-04-2015 at 06:47 PM.
StinkyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #7
Fat-Suzy
Server Owner

Class/Position: Engineer / Heavy.
Affiliations: {TALOS}
Posts Rated Helpful 75 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Download Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer. It should show up in your steamapps\common directory. Go in and copy the bin folder.(folder itself and everything in it.)

Paste but do NOT merge it into your Steam\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin\ep1 folder.

Take the option to rename instead of merge. Name it something like binMODEL. At this point you could probly just point wallworm to that folder. If not, when you want to model go in and rename bin to something like binMAPPING and rename binMODEL to bin.

I tried just merging the bins but it ended up breaking sdk tools for me, so i couldn't map or use the model viewer. Which is why I plan on doing this name juggling to keep everything happy.

I'm still having problems compiling vtfs as you were, but I think this is just a simple lack of proper pathing.

If you don't want to do the folder juggle, you could try just replacing studiomdl.exe and vtex.exe from your 2013 bin into your sdk bin. I haven't tried that but it was suggest by the wallworm fellow.

I managed to compile some models for fortress forever last night after running into the same compile error moto had. Copying new sdk exe's into the old bin is a cludge i wanted to avoid at all costs to i worked out the correct way to use our native 2006 studiomdl.exe.

To fix studiomdl.exe some files that moved during the steampipe update need to be moved back...

Copy C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config\SteamAppData.vdf to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SourceSDK\bin\ep1\bin \config\SteamAppData.vdf

After moving this file i was successful in compiling using our native 2006 studiomdl.exe using the Notepad++ technique described here:
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...iling_QC_files

I know its a little late but i hope this helps anyone trying to compile models in future.

Last edited by Fat-Suzy; 02-11-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Fat-Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.