פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #42
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
dinosaur donkey cocks i can't fit the 9800gx2 into my case, and the 8800gtx/gts versions are highly debatable (all depends if the sata cables can just squeeze down the sides or not). fuck monkeys

so i started looking for the fastest card that will definitely fit, and have come up with:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1008

it's a nicely clocked 8800gt512mb on a shorter than reference pcb and with a (hopefully) decent and quiet fan. looks like my best option. any thoughts? gonna order tonight i think.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #43
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Move shit 'til it fits.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 PM   #44
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
my 256MB runs everything, including crysis, fine. with the extra MB you'll be able to play Crysis with more AA and higher res.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2008, 03:52 PM   #45
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
my 256MB runs everything, including crysis, fine. with the extra MB you'll be able to play Crysis with more AA and higher res.
Whoopteedoo!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:58 AM   #46
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

ermmm, hmmm.. so i got the 8800GT512MB and was all installed fine. i pld TFC on it about 5 hours solid, then loaded up tf2 and it instantly went all fcked (about one frame every 10 seconds, and flashing lights and stuff). then the pc turned off and since then it doesn't boot at all with the 8800 in (all the fans try to spin up then all stop a fraction of a second later). if i take the 8800 out it works fine. if i put my old gfx card back in it works fine (and fine in games too).

so yeah, the obvious conclusion is that valve feel sufficiently threatened by FF to the extent that they have resorted to putting special bug in TF2 that destroys just my gfx card in order to stop me playing FF

greenday: i use 1680x1050 res, and in my experience 256mb is not enough (my current one is 256mb and in demanding games the performance is v respectable up to about 960x600 but higher than that it suddenly plummets).

Old 03-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #47
greenday5494
D&A Member

please tell me you're joking about the valve bug thing...

oh, BRW, i know 256MB isnt enough, i wish i got the 512. i play at 1280x1024 for w/e game can play it at, but at crysis, it doesnt ply well.

i'll gladly take the GTS512 off your hands...

Old 04-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #48
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

ru5? ofc it's not a valve plot to bring down FF.. but yes, TF2 did blow my brand new card up the first time i ran it, and i've sent it back today for a replacement. if the replacement one blows up too then i will have to get the soldering iron and some paperclips out and make my own gfx card from scratch that actually works - i mean, how hard can it be?

Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 AM   #49
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
mb not the right forum for this, but does anyone out there have an "8800 GTX 768MB" and pretty decent components for the rest of their system pls? i've been waiting to upgrade my gfx card until there's a single card (non-SLI) solution that can run FF flawlessly, and i'm hoping that this current generation can do just that. by "flawlessly" i mean the fps never dips below whatever i limit it to (ideally 2x my refresh rate, but it might have to be 1x still if the cards aren't up to it yet) even when there are 20 ppl spamming the donkeys out of dustbowl.

rest of my system is:
- dualcore 4200+ athlon.
- 2GB decent ram.
- 2 decent hard drives in mirror RAID mode.

oh ye, and i'll running with resolution of 1680x1050, v highest model details, and v lowest world/shader/hdr/etc settings.

so, hopefully rest of system will not be a problem so long as there is a gfx card out there now that is capable of doing this, and from reviews i've read the 8800 GTX 768MB seems to be the best high-memory nvidia offering (some FF maps seem to need a load of memory so i think 512 isn't enough) and there's no way i'm buying ati after my last experience.

anyone out there got one pls?
That GTX should run flawlessly on FF. Do you use Rivatuner for FAN control by chance?
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM   #50
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ

Quote:
ru5? ofc it's not a valve plot to bring down FF.. but yes, TF2 did blow my brand new card up the first time i ran it, and i've sent it back today for a replacement. if the replacement one blows up too then i will have to get the soldering iron and some paperclips out and make my own gfx card from scratch that actually works - i mean, how hard can it be?
You'll need an ounce of love or it won't work.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 AM   #51
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Quote:
dinosaur donkey cocks i can't fit the 9800gx2 into my case, and the 8800gtx/gts versions are highly debatable (all depends if the sata cables can just squeeze down the sides or not). fuck monkeys

so i started looking for the fastest card that will definitely fit, and have come up with:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...56&subcat=1008

it's a nicely clocked 8800gt512mb on a shorter than reference pcb and with a (hopefully) decent and quiet fan. looks like my best option. any thoughts? gonna order tonight i think.
Don't let the size discourage you. You can buy "ANGLED" SATA connectors just for that reason. If the card is in the way of the SATA cables just use the ANGLED connectors.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #52
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

yeah, well i already am using 90 degree sata cables if that's what you mean, but i can't have them all like that unless i can find some that are angled the other way (else they get in each others way). i might be able to get a bigger card in, but the card i went for (linked above) seems to be the obvious best choice - 8800GT512MB is the sensible sweet-spot atm, good default clocks, small pcb that easily fits in my pc, (hopefully) quietish zalman cooler - i just need to hope the replacement they send me isn't a duff too...

as with any gfx card there are a few other ppl around the net who have been having stability problems with it, and the reply from gigabyte is to underclock the card yourself to the nvidia reference design defaults. this is intended as a "stability" fix though, not for if your card dies completely (i.e. i think my problem was different, and something was completely broken on the card from the start - it wasn't just overheating). however, i might give that a go before i use it anyway (underclock it) because the 8800GT reference clocks should be perfectly adequet, and just getting the thing to work reliably is much more important to me than a pretty irrelevant ~10% at most performance gain.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #53
Zatoichi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
ermmm, hmmm.. so i got the 8800GT512MB and was all installed fine. i pld TFC on it about 5 hours solid, then loaded up tf2 and it instantly went all fcked (about one frame every 10 seconds, and flashing lights and stuff). then the pc turned off and since then it doesn't boot at all with the 8800 in (all the fans try to spin up then all stop a fraction of a second later). if i take the 8800 out it works fine. if i put my old gfx card back in it works fine (and fine in games too).

so yeah, the obvious conclusion is that valve feel sufficiently threatened by FF to the extent that they have resorted to putting special bug in TF2 that destroys just my gfx card in order to stop me playing FF

greenday: i use 1680x1050 res, and in my experience 256mb is not enough (my current one is 256mb and in demanding games the performance is v respectable up to about 960x600 but higher than that it suddenly plummets).
i know you stated earlier that you were going to get a better power supply, did you? if not what are you using now?
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2008, 01:12 PM   #54
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ

Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Fanpete?
OOOH NOW I GET IT!

Fan + boy.

LULZ.

Old 04-01-2008, 01:18 PM   #55
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatoichi
i know you stated earlier that you were going to get a better power supply, did you? if not what are you using now?
it's definitely not the psu. yes i did get a new psu (700W modular coolermaster), but after TF2 slayed my FF machine the first thing i thought was OHHH the psu has died... so i put my old psu back in, but it didn't make any difference. i then took out the new gfx card (with my old psu connected up still) and it all instantly worked fine. i then put my new psu back in and it still worked fine. with either psu, as soon as i put the new gfx card in it doesn't boot at all, and when i take the new gfx card out (or put my old gfx card back in) it works fine. pretty conclusive.

Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #56
greenday5494
D&A Member

iy probably wasnt TF2 that killed it. it was just overheating, and as TF2 is has much more advanced graphics, shader calcuations etc

Old 04-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #57
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

orly?

Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #58
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
iy probably wasnt TF2 that killed it. it was just overheating, and as TF2 is has much more advanced graphics, shader calcuations etc
For once, greenday made sense!

I also agree with him: advance graphics killed your VidCard.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #59
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

oic