Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #21
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
I'm glad you stopped by and took the time to post this
I do what I can for the community. I still visit the forums if only for the non-FF related sections.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:15 AM   #22
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I'm still waiting for the debate part. How exactly is TF2 a kid's game?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #23
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
That's because there aren't many things that FF has done (is doing? maybe?) that TF2 hasn't done/isn't doing better. There can't be a debate. Is TF2 simple(r) than FF or TFC? Sure. Sometimes it's best to K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid for those of you who live under a rock). People calling TF2 a child's game are just butt hurt that no one will take time out of their day to visit FF's corner of the internet and download this seldom updated mod that has a community of hackers, former hackers, douche bags, and dicks (Save for the few I can count on my 2 hands). Look at the front page and the date on the last update. Dev journals from over a year ago and a page update back in February. How could an outsider possibly know that this mod ISN'T dead. Yea, go ahead and debate, it'll be cute.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #24
chilledsanity
D&A Member

Gametype: AvD, I/D, waterpolo, hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I think it's the cartoon characters, bright colors, goofy voices, and an emphasis on dressing your character up.

Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 AM   #25
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
Only kids like fun things.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 AM   #26
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledsanity View Post
I think it's the cartoon characters, bright colors, goofy voices, and an emphasis on dressing your character up.
The art direction was taken for simplification. It's the selling point of Team Fortress 2. The maps are well lit, you can tell the environment from the dynamic entities, you can tell teams apart as well as their respective classes. There is a humorous aspect to it, of course. Robin Walker said they modeled the art style around those funny gaming experiences people would always have, such as the people who send tanks flying with explosives or making dominoes in Garry's Mod. The funny thing is the people who are quick to judge TF2 on its graphics are the same people who criticize others for judging Fortress Forever's dated graphics.

There are no real goofy voices in Team Fortress 2. The voices all have some sincerity in them even when they're delivering otherwise humorous lines. This is yet another selling point of the game. Each character has a unique personality that makes it even more appealing to certain play-styles and players. Every time I play Team Fortress 2 and come back to Fortress Forever, the game just feels empty. There's nothing that makes it entertaining or fun.

You can't dress your character up. There are only hats. They were added for novelty sake. It's just something to spice up the art direction. Most of the unlocks are for different weapons. Nonetheless, it's funny that so many people criticize Team Fortress 2 for trivial shit that has nothing to do with the game-play. The only criticisms of its game-play are the luck-based mechanics (critical hits) which do rage the fuck out of me even if the probability of them happening are tied to how well you're doing. The second is that it's too slow. I don't think so. It's perfectly paced. You can take your time and enjoy the game. It's not as demanding and exhausting as Fortress Forever. This doesn't make it less exciting. Get a good game going where both teams are working together and the amount of chaos on screen makes up for the speed.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #27
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
I have been playing TF2 now and then (especially before FF) and I really wanted to like it, but never really got into it. TFC is probably my all time favorite game and TF2 is just way too different.

I installed TF2 again the other day and now after having played FF it feels extra slow. TF2 is very simple, you just walk and shoot. No grens, no bhop, no conc, no special movements, nothing whatsoever. I accept it's well balanced (maps and classes), but I never got too fond of the maps. I actually disliked most maps. just not my cup of tea.

I never played a clangame in TF2, but I can't imagine it's a lot of fun. I can't take the game seriously in that aspect. it's probably fun if you just want to play a few rounds on a public and try out new weapons and hats, but I couldn't play it for a few hours. there is no competitive element, no longterm motivation.

I just need pace, speed, grens, cool concjumps that make me yell WOW, airshots, explosions, the TFC/FF-macho convos on the pubs etc. I know we are rough, we are dicks, we are the outlaws in the hl2 universe.

on the other hand FF is very similar to TFC. if there was a working and huge community it could become my all time fav. unfortunately that ain't the case.

Last edited by JackBauer; 07-14-2010 at 08:59 AM.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 PM   #28
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
TF2(not to sound like I'm bashing it here, but...) is a lazy gamers game. Yes, it's well lit... but so are many TFC and FF maps. The overall game speed is similar to Counter Strike:FUCKING S-L-O-W! You have respawn delays(which really... who wants that in a Fortress game?), slow movement, nothing to help an advanced player show off their time developed skill, low thrill level, etc...

Part of the attraction, for me anyway, to TFC and FF, is the speed of the game. I like an intense, high adrenaline game. I get a thrill from playing them. Then again, I'm not doped up on ritalin like 3/4 of the kids playing games these days.

The graphix of TF2 are Pixar'd to the point of being a major turn off to me. I noted to my GF that the new Pixar movie coming out looks like it was animated by the TF2 team. I know that FF lacks in the graphix dept... but that would change if we had(sorry Dev team) better modelers.

Gameplay wise, FF does need some changes. SG's need a tweeking, Engies could use a new buildable, Solly rockets could travel a little faster, Scout needs another nade, basicly all classes need some tweaking. FF is plain FUN to play. Exposure, or lack thereof, is what's hurting FF right now.

TF2 isn't a BAD game.... it's just not what I find enjoyable.

Then again, I liked playing Dodgeball:Source.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 07-15-2010, 01:04 AM   #29
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabeggar View Post
Look at the front page and the date on the last update. Dev journals from over a year ago and a page update back in February. How could an outsider possibly know that this mod ISN'T dead.
This is quite true, despite development still going. I'd like to be a lot more proactive about this moving forward. I think getting rid of the twitter and dev journal and doing an actual blog would be cool. Like jailbreak: source ( http://blog.jailbreaksource.com/ ) but most of that is tutorials/howto/behind the scenes.
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals

Old 07-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #30
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
This is quite true, despite development still going. I'd like to be a lot more proactive about this moving forward. I think getting rid of the twitter and dev journal and doing an actual blog would be cool. Like jailbreak: source ( http://blog.jailbreaksource.com/ ) but most of that is tutorials/howto/behind the scenes.
Instead of getting rid of twitter and the dev journal, the dev team should hire additional fellows whose job would be to specialize ONLY in writing stuff on the front page. Problem solved?
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Old 07-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #31
Bridget
Banned

I offered.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:18 AM   #32
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Can you point me to this Bri? Did we stop you from writing something and giving it to us for reviewing?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Old 07-15-2010, 09:30 AM   #33
Bridget
Banned

I spoke with a dev about it recently. I'm not implying I offered to help and was turned away.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 AM   #34
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
kk, sorry I got the feeling that was implied n that it was an 'old' offer. Well personally I don't think it'd be a bad thing - depends on how it was written.

I did write something a few months ago and never posted it cause I wanted to finish altering CP3 on warpath. But I never did finish cause it was too difficult and tedious :/ And therefore the journal never got completed...

Then I was busy for ages and haven't since found the motivation to try again & am doing other FF related stuff. I always finish things in time for release so no-one start putting the "All is DOOMed!" hat on. I'll get round to it at some point
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Old 07-15-2010, 11:30 AM   #35
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Just because TF2 is cel-shaded does not make it a kid's game, i know plenty of cel-shaded games that are NOT kids game. The graphics just give it a different environment than say FF, which went more to the modern war look.

Ruta brought up the community, and I'll agree to a degree, it's horrible, tiny, elitists, assholes, cunt boxes, and JEWS(!), but it also has it's nice folks like any community. What community doesn't have that?

One thing that is bad about it is, that the dev's NEVER talk about what they are currently doing on the game, they tried it and said, "Fuck this!". Hell, a twitter account was made(well, more like taken back), FF has a Facebook account,it uses vBulletin, which has a surplus of features that can be added on, so everything is linked together, but they are not used.

Sure, there is the beta forums, but only a selected few can see it, and then 3/4th of them don't even post in there. SVN commits were just add to the forums, but they aren't detailed, they are more for the dev team, but then again the devs can see them without this feature. Oh, GIT is better.

What we do need as Bridget suggested is a real PR, to go around and get FF noticed. Posting on random forums trying to insult TF2ers is not the fucking way to do it, dumbass chef. You wonder why people hate FF sometimes. As many can see the PR is open.. lol as is beta relationship, am I suggesting Bridget for this? No, god no. Sorry man, but you are a trolling douche bag.

Yea, i went on a rant, lawl.

Just so it's not completely off-topic: TF2 to FF Comparison!

Team Fortress 2
  • Cel-Shaded Graphucs
  • Slower game play
  • No Primary or Secondary Gernades
  • Better Public Relations team
  • Crit Hits
  • Character driven weapons
  • Character Personalitys
  • BIGGER TEAM(Dev)
  • Delayed Respawns
  • Tons of updates, adding new features to the game
  • assholes
  • Weird ass remakes of TFC Maps
  • Original maps
  • *Not sure on this, but since TF2 has been updated to Source 2009 i guess it has the ability to use Squirrel now.
  • Dev Team quickly fixes bugs within the game

Fortress Forever
  • Modern War like graphics
  • UGLY ASS UI
  • Grenades
  • Skill Maps
  • smaller team(Dev)
  • Stupid crowbars
  • Way faster paced than TFC
  • no cirts
  • no delayed respawns
  • bunny hopping with AUTO JUMP(lawl)
  • older crappier source engine
  • slow updates
  • assholes
  • TFC Maps stays more true to the original maps
  • Less original maps than TF2
  • lua allows more new game modes
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #36
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosh View Post
Instead of getting rid of twitter and the dev journal, the dev team should hire additional fellows whose job would be to specialize ONLY in writing stuff on the front page. Problem solved?
This was tried a while back with "PR people" and in my books it was completely worthless. I didnt see much of anything come of that, for having entire people tasked to it.
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals

Old 07-15-2010, 07:26 PM   #37
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
it worked for a while.. but then they all packed up and left.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products

Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM   #38
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
rutabeggar cant hang therefore he disses

and tf2 is a kids game because it doesnt require any type of skilled movement all you need is a couple of pointer fingers to play. the children who play tf2 clearly lack the motor skill functions needed to play good adulty-like games ie FF

and how are the ff models not good iggy? they are just more realistic therefor arent as flashy and noticeable

Last edited by CHURCHMOUTH; 07-15-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 PM   #39
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHURCHMOUTH View Post
rutabeggar cant hang therefore he disses

and tf2 is a kids game because it doesnt require any type of skilled movement all you need is a couple of pointer fingers to play. the children who play tf2 clearly lack the motor skill functions needed to play good adulty-like games ie FF

and how are the ff models not good iggy? they are just more realistic therefor arent as flashy and noticeable
The models suck, they suck so much I am usin' the TFC Toon ones, lol.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014

Old 07-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #40
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
Yea because everyone that starts up TF2 automatically knows how to rocket jump, sticky jump, Force jump, double jump. Obviously there's no skill involved what so ever in tf2. I don't understand why they even have a competitive community.

Closed Thread