Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #21
StinkyTaco

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Seems like I need to be a little more verbose with my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Are you arguing just for the sake of arguing?
Nope, i am just a simple game developer, who knows what he is talking about.
You are the one who insists on deviating from the topic for the sake of argument.
I feel stupid that i took your troll bait in the first place, the post was completely off topic and absurd, i should have seen it then for what it is.

Quote:
You don't seem to know what the doppler effect is.
Sigh...
As I have stated twice now I was not talking about the doppler effect, i am talking about a simulated doppler 3d sound system. Reading comprehension- it is your friend, dont fight it.

Quote:
I never stated sounds would go off earlier if they were louder, where is the logic in a statement like that? Sounds made louder would be easier to distinguish, are you honestly trying to argue against that? You are obviously being confused here, so imagine all the superfluous sounds such as explosions being toned down, it would be easier to pick up the other sounds that are unaffected or optimised.

Why would increasing the volume of a sound make it sound like it's coming from a different direction?

Please take 3 large breaths, and go back and read my post again, you are obviously confused about what i am talking about. (please see what I said earlier in this post about reading comprehension)

Grab a copy of 3Dgame studio, or Blender 3D and play with the game engine sound system, then you may start to understand a little bit about how games and sounds work together.(caution, you will have to read the manual, and there are no pictures.)

Making the sounds "more audible" or at a higher volume should not effect game play at all, they will all start and stop at the exact same time.

If what you are saying is true, then people with high end sound cards are cheating too because they can hear more sounds being played at the same time. They hear more sounds therefore, they get an unfair advantage, because people with a cheaper sound card will not hear all of the same sounds.Dont you see how absurd this sounds?

BTW, why are you throwing in the "explosions being toned down" now?
I never said anything about sounds being toned down, or turned down to gain an advantage over other players.

Curve ball? More Troll bait?

Please keep on topic. Your attempts to derail this thread are not appreciated.
The thread is about controlling announcer and MOD sounds that do not have controls in the options.

If you wish to debate "tweaking the sounds = Cheating" please start your own thread. (push the "post new thread button", and dont expect me to post there... i usually do not take part in petty forum domination games.)

i dont see why you even posted in the first place, What the hell dose the announcer have to do with footfalls, and explosions, and cheating?

Push off , and let us discuss the topic please.
StinkyTaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 PM   #22
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyTaco
simulated doppler 3d sound system
please elaborate.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #23
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Stinky: here's the deal.

You're saying, and you're right, that footstep sounds (as an example) would still start and stop at the same time as they do now.

However, currently, footstep sounds are quiet. Barely noticeable above background noise.

Say the footstep sound was replaced with a loud "ding!" though. Now, instead of tff, tff, tff, tff it's ding!, ding!, ding!, ding!

It's more noticeable against the background noise, and therefore grants an unfair advantage.

Why is it the people who make reading comprehension wisecracks never seem to have much of a handle on it themselves?

Old 09-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
bokko
when ff will out?
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
sigh, so your mod failed, huh?

You explicitly stated 'the doppler effect' as being what makes sounds start at the same time, which doesn't really make sense physics-wise. I mean I never studied game enginges but I did study basic physics, I don't know about you?

Why are you talking about the timing of sounds, your reading comprehension is probably at fault here?

I'm not saying fiddling around with the announcer voice would be an unfair advantage (If it's too loud or annoying it should be toggleable). My question was for anyone with experience of playing around with the sounds for FF, not necessarily you, and it was NOT a troll attempt. You have derailed the thread by going bat shit insane over a simple question.
bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #25
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
well, does FF support sv_pure? if it does, put sv_pure on, and you'll only be able to use stock files.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote