Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-02-2005, 08:23 AM   #1
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
WIP: ff_fortitude

Screw this, go here: http://forums.fortress-forever.com/viewtopic.php?t=2711

Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
o_robg

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Mate that looks crap your textures and lighting suck...it's gonna be rubbish to play on!
o_robg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
o_robg

Just kidding. I like the layout and the conc launching exit You'll have to make sure it's not too easy for O to get away at that point, but yeah I like it all rampy and stuff. How easy will it be for O to get to the top up those ramps (though I like that they aren't too big so D can't spam them too easily)?

Cool cool start though, like it.

Oh, p.s. It'd be cool to make that conc-launching ramp thing into something that a base would have; you wouldn't expect base designers to actually build in something to deliberately help O get the flag out of their base. I dunno...make it a wall a demo can knock out sideways with a detpack? It seems odd having something that only really benefits people taking the flag out of the base, if you see what I mean.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Well that conc ramp isn't much of an Offense escape point once they've gotten the flag. Unless they can climb four stories and then make their jump. Hopefully the layout will allow the offense opportunities to hide from any defenses that might be set up while at the same time offering up a large number of close-proximity chokepoints. Can't say for sure.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 AM   #5
o_robg

Aah I see, sorry. The ramp's for native O to attack quickly with, fair enough.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
o_the phenom

Good so far. But bulk it up a bit. Make some walls thicker where you can, and make the entrance to the base smaller if possible.

Otherwise, keep it up.
o_the phenom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #7
o_donny

It looks too blocky to me
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
o_imbrifer

I agree with The Phenom's suggestion to bulk it up a bit. The base appears fairly small from the pics - are you aiming at a map for a small-to-medium number of players?

The general design looks great - I think where it all will come together is the texturing (which is frequently the hardest part). I assume as you add more detail you'll curve walls, add dimension, and so forth. Keep working on it, and as you go in more complex directions, I'll criticize you more harshly :)

Props!
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 05:33 PM   #9
o_drtom

layout looks interesting, rr reminds me of fortsake2 fr, which is superb.
i assume your gonna rebuild most of it and what you have now is just palceholder stuff to show you where things go? cause as poeple ahve said, aesthetically it looks a bit baf at the mo! but gameplay wise it could be interesting! just build on it !
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 PM   #10
o_lord soth

Nice start, but man.. everytime I see those textures like that, I always think of the VR missions in Metal Gear Solid... heh..... damn VR missions.... lol
o_lord soth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 11:38 PM   #11
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

The bases are small right now, yes. When it's done that back wall won't be there, and the bases will be a lot deeper, probably with greater division to make multiple routes through it. What's in there right now is just the front half or third of the main base.

It's a bit blocky, I plan on smoothing it out and adding detail as I go along. Right now this is really just the skeleton, I've been going back and adding more and more detail as I add more things.

My plan is to put the path to the flagroom on the second level, so that offense has to get up there before making their move (unless they go around via the water). This will make that second level a major action area, but when it's done it will be significantly deeper.

If I had to give a percentage, I'd say the base is about... 35% done in overall structure. That doesn't include cleaning it up and texturing. The yard is about how I want it, and I still have to lead that river around.

At any rate, thank you all for the comments.

Old 08-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #12
o_zsleek7

Whats going under the bridge? It seems like the diagnol walls on the far end of the bridge in screeny #1 will piss off alot of medics trying to conc base to base if there is like an abyss below the bridge.

Overall I like the sharp and crisp design.
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2005, 12:16 AM   #13
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Actually it's water below the bridge. Which diagonal walls are you referring to, the ones on the bridge itself or the ones on the front of the yard? The ones at the front of the yard will probably be removed or shortened.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:45 AM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

In the event any of you care, I lost all of the files for this map after reformatting my hard drive last night. It slipped my mind to back them up beforehand.

At any rate, I'll probably start work on the map again, although I'm not sure if I'll continue in the same style as this one. I've been working out new ideas and situating things in my head (and in Hammer), and I've got a few pretty good ones.

So, to the two of you that were looking forward to the map, my apologies. Hopefully the new one will strike your fancy just as well.

Old 08-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #15
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
that so nearly happened to me. i lost my curriculum vitae instead :(
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2005, 11:11 AM   #16
o_loader

Looks good so far.

I would make the front, and inside, more detailed.
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2005, 11:19 AM   #17
o_sp0rk

It looks pretty good. And, am I the only one that likes to see these maps with the dev textures? I think they look kinda cool like that.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #18
o_loader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp0rk
It looks pretty good. And, am I the only one that likes to see these maps with the dev textures? I think they look kinda cool like that.
Yes you ARE the only one.

You do realise they are placeholders? He isn't going to keep them that way :/
o_loader is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loader
Looks good so far.

I would make the front, and inside, more detailed.
Of course. It was barebones work at the time. All gone now, though. Bleh. Hopefully the resurrection will be nice.

Old 08-21-2005, 01:00 PM   #20
o_nezumi

And make it something besides standard capture the flag!

Come to think of it, I'm going to go post this in every thread for a map in production.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote