Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
IP Ghosting

Hey, my sister asked me about a good IP hider (her words) to help conceal her IP address. The reason is because in her appartment they offer free wireless internet so long as you have a wireless card. But she is concerned that her ip address goes out to other people in the complex and wanted to know the best way to get her safer. She's willing to pay, but of course when she asked me I scoffed and told her I could find something for free.

Little did she... or you guys... know, but I intended on asking all of you. Mostly just to see if there was a decent free firewall program that will give her simple security and peace of mind. I was going to recommend AVG but was wondering if there was something else.

What do you guys got?
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Rehab

Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Peer Guardian is a good and free ip blocker.

http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
Rehab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Hey, my sister asked me about a good IP hider (her words) to help conceal her IP address. The reason is because in her appartment they offer free wireless internet so long as you have a wireless card. But she is concerned that her ip address goes out to other people in the complex and wanted to know the best way to get her safer. She's willing to pay, but of course when she asked me I scoffed and told her I could find something for free.

Little did she... or you guys... know, but I intended on asking all of you. Mostly just to see if there was a decent free firewall program that will give her simple security and peace of mind. I was going to recommend AVG but was wondering if there was something else.

What do you guys got?
Wireless is visible period. There's no way to hide it. Best she can do is a good firewall that keeps her "invisible" by not responding to ICMP and other queries. That said...her "traffic" will be visible to anyone that cares to monitor such things. She's visible because her traffic is moving via wireless and she's visible at the router and all points in between. Short of sticking to wireline only she's visible.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
I'm running ZoneAlarm, even though I'm on my own network with secured wireless. It does get somewhat cumbersome as it will prompt for permission for each program that wants access to the internet. Either way, it'll keep people off her machine unless she sets the subnet as a trusted zone.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
the only thing i could suggest is creating a secure tunnel elsewhere, and routing all your traffic from there. innoc's already covered why.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 AM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Oh no, people on the network know my IP! Whatever shall I do!

is equivalent to

Oh no, people on the street know my house address! Whatever shall I do!

You can't hide, so just take precautions and deal with it.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #7
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife

What do you guys got?
As a Network Security Major... That question makes my brain bleed.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Oh no, people on the network know my IP! Whatever shall I do!

is equivalent to

Oh no, people on the street know my house address! Whatever shall I do!

You can't hide, so just take precautions and deal with it.

lol, my sister isn't as up on the new stuff. I don't think she's specifically worried about the knowledge of her IP. but concealing it is the only way I know to give her piece of mind since I know that anyone who wanted to could hack her laptop if they so desired. Of course all they'd find is avril lavigne songs and vegan recipes for brownies.... but those are some damn good brownies.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote