Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2011, 04:35 PM   #61
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
It looks pretty good man, it's actually almost exactly how I pictured it in my head. Now... the question is, will it actually alleviate the traffic at that choke point? I hope it does, sure looks like it will devide the attention at that location.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2011, 07:36 PM   #62
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I'm glad it's as you envisaged. Also hope it will work but I think it will
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #63
Hammock
D&A Member

After 2.43's release I've finally got to play a few rounds of warpath, with low numbers and a near full server.

And I must say you did an amazing job on this map, that side tunnel works great, it definately helps alleviate the congestion at that choke point.

Everything else looks great visually, runs smooth, and plays smooth (as in no mysterious corners you seem to get hung up on).

My only comment about it, and even I've been debating it in my head on whether or not it might need a change, is cap point 3. More particularily the time it takes to cap it. I like the idea of needing to stand on the cap points to capture it, as opposed to TFC's where once the lockout timer ran out, it was an instant cap with a touch.

There's benefits to the system, someone can't get behind enemy lines and insta cap 3 in a row before the enemy can back track.

But it seems to get a little frustrating for cap point 3, where it feels like an eternity to make the cap. The insta cap in TFC allowed for command point 3 to really be a warzone quite often, a lot of back and forth action. Knowing your team could soon get cap 3, you would strategize on how to get 4/2, so as you were sending people to 3 you were also sending people to 4, or sneaking people in.

But with this long delay to cap 3, it was a frustrating struggle for my team to even break into the yard to actually get the cap, it took forever (like 8 minutes). We did finally get the cap, and then it became the same issue for the enemy team, it took them like 8 minutes to get it back.

There was far less back and forth action in the middle of the map, and more of a turtle defense at commands 4/2. Which creates a very static game play. In a map like warpath when things go back and forth it provides more opportunity for the game to swing either way. Infact in TFC sometimes when you get stumped on trying to make the final cap point, you let the enemy team make caps 4/2 and 3 just to pull them out of their turtle defense spread them out and create another opportunity to break through their gap.

But I do like the idea of the capping taking time for command points 2/4 & 1/5, as those are considered your team's base flags, but 3 is middle ground, the neutral territory to be faught back and forth over, and shouldn't be soo easily defended by a single solly that only has to distract the enemy long enough for his teammates running by to complete the kill.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #64
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
yeah makes sense to me. I also noticed its harder to pull back on 3. During which time the other team is gaining points and makes the gap in points a lot more drastic. Making 3 less of a game changer would make sense.

So I will make a change for 2.5, less time to cap point 3 (still same lock time I think though) and less points earned over time for control of CP 3. Thuis making more of the team points come from owning the enemy's 2/4 CP.

Perhaps we can work this in on an existing pub server and test it? Any pub server owners willing? Then main servers can take the new LUA as they please. For me it's not such a big deal that we need to worry about difference between servers when it's down to something like this? What do you think? Devs?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-06-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM   #65
Hammock
D&A Member

I like that idea to lower the amount points earned over time for cap point 3 as well.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:10 AM   #66
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Once I've finished working out the kinks in my new server, I'd be more than happy to test with the new LUA.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #67
angrypyro
D&A Member

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
warpath (and other control point maps like it) seems to currently be the most balanced gametype right now. ctf has problems with only scout and medic being useful on offense and jumppads being destroyed too fast and avd/ivd doesn't have secondary nades which also ruins the balance/gameplay.
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote