Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Music Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
I also use music a lot as a creative stimulant. Any kind will do, what ever floats your boat, but classical music is supposed to really do wonders for the brain, according to science or something. I listen to that sometimes, but like I said any kind will do./
This is totally the biggest thing, I cannot map without music. It really gets you thinking.
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I don't have the leet skillz to map for FF, but when I map for Cube 2, I definitely listen to music as a stimulant. And drink coffee.

I also try to imagine the dynamics with which I hope my map would be played: flag routes, item spawns, where the "life" of the match would tend to be at the majority of given moments, how the respawns would affect the way the map is viewed from a fresh look (where players would tend to run right out of the gate), how the physics could make x thing be used in y and z ways, etc.

I also just love sketching out the bird's eye view of the map on graph paper, and go from there. I tend to look to Quake maps for inspiration, because I love a lot of them (Reflux, Courtyard, Spider Crossings for CTF; Blood Run, Campgrounds, Silence, Hektik, Toxicity, and Aerowalk for dueling/DM; etc.)
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
ya know, I think I will try the music thing. gimmie some tips about what genre. I AM DESPERATE!
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #4
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
ya know, I think I will try the music thing. gimmie some tips about what genre. I AM DESPERATE!
Like I said classical is supposed to be very good for your brain. Researches have shown great improvements in student studies and work when classical music is being listened to while studying or working. Beethoven or Mozart.

Or just what ever really floats your boat. Something that'll get your brain excited, or something chill to just vibe out to.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
There is so much wonderful classical music out there. Here are some of my favorites, and why:

This version is a little fast, but it was the first one on YouTube. Considered one of the greatest symphonies ever composed, notice how it really paints a picture for you through the melodies. It rises and falls with each phrase, and paints a beautiful countryside image that is different for every person. Notice how it also rises up into one of my favorite climaxes *ever* from 6:00-6:43, then recaps to the opening phrase and goes along with a modified version of it (ABA form, to a degree).

Dvorak's New World Symphony. Absolutely stunning piece of work, and the 3rd movement is my favorite. The oboe's solo is to die for, especially when mimicked by the clarinet, flutes, and finally the string section. I almost got to fucking play this in concert, but I had to have surgery. Multiple melodies play into each other so gracefully, you hardly notice the phrase transitions. Mesmerizing. 4:12 really takes you into a bright swing and carries you away.

Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor. Absolutely incredible fugue for organ. Notice the opening from 0:00-0:19 -- the motif, so to speak -- and how it is gradually repeated by other "parts," such as as 0:18, then at 0:42... my favorite part by far is 1:40-3:00ish. Such a beautiful buildup with a gorgeous top melody.

Smalin's videos are a must. I have also heard they are *nuts* when you are baked. Brandenburg Concerto No. 6, I. Allegro is a superb chamber music piece for two cellos, harpsichord, and two violas. So many complex melodies and phrases that interweave and pass by one another -- such a beautiful piece. The third movement is to DIE FOR.

...well, there are a few off the top of my head.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Does Rice have to shank a bitch with his magical metal Jew spork?
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
-mooney-
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 34 Times
whatever you do DO NOT LISTEN TO CAPTAINAHABS MUSIC
-mooney- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
CaptainAhab