Old 02-24-2009, 08:37 AM   #81
Bully
Beta Tester
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spectating
Gametype: British Bulldogs
Affiliations: ®™ ^
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
Gig, i love this map as it is tbh. I often think maps are spoilt by having too many props that get in the way of play or way off textures that imo take away the overall feel and art direction that i believe FF should have. It would have been nice to get a washing line with a few clothes to hide behind but never mind, i think you have really done justice to possibly my favorite old school map.

After speaking to various people I mentioned to you about your thoughts on having the map AvD and the thinking would have been to help pubs as most have low numbers. There could have been 2 versions of it maybe, that was all i was getting at, if that's what your on about. I asked a few people if anyone could help you too and like i said also, a lot of people already have very long "to do" lists and little time to spare. This is maybe why you didn't get the support you were looking for and i really don't think anyone has a hidden agenda, everyone here want's this mod to succeed and that is the only agenda.

I'm pushing Rawh to get this up on one of the SNT servers for the EU. (edit. Rawh can read my mind, and he knows when i'm going to post so he posts before me to make me look daft! :O)
Bully is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #82
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Just got done playing this with 12~ players and it was really fun. Nice map !
hlstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #83
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hey thanks gigabite. very nice looking map.

Old 02-24-2009, 02:17 PM   #84
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
It's a fantastic map. My only issue with it is people getting confused where to go, unless they've played the TFC version. Signage ftw!

Also, is there a chance to move respawns up to the next hallway for both teams? That would make things a lot better than the older version.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #85
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF- View Post
Slap together some brushes for the clotheslines and i'll convert/add/edit. Post the vmf here or send link through PM or something.
Still stands.

And yeah, i believe an AvD version of casbah would pwn as well

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #86
GiGaBiTe

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to GiGaBiTe
Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF- View Post
Still stands.

And yeah, i believe an AvD version of casbah would pwn as well
I can only give you dimensions.

4 x 320x128 (wide/tall)
1 x 448x128
GiGaBiTe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 10:38 PM   #87
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Love the map, thanks alot Giga!

I don't like the idea of AvD on this one.... now "RCTF" could be fun, on that one.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #88
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Got this on the e0 rotation and people love it

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #89
MightyLotu

yeah, i played it and i think it's good as it is now, doesn't necessarily need more props
that screenshot you posted earlier in this thread didn't do it justice since it doesn't show the lighting which makes a big difference and it had an emptier look on how the screenshot was taken from topview
MightyLotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #90
Rawh
FF Whiner
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill-----> View Post
Got this on the e0 rotation and people love it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully View Post
I'm pushing Rawh to get this up on one of the SNT servers for the EU. (edit. Rawh can read my mind, and he knows when i'm going to post so he posts before me to make me look daft! :O)
Added it to server #1. Was still looking for a map for it to add to the list and this one really is it.

Played it with a few lads. They loved it (thought there's a bit of confusement if it's a CTF or OvD map)!
Rawh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #91
Lt Llama

Put it up as beta 4 on Euroskillz.

Some random feedback from the logs:

Quote:
haha i remember that spot from the ol' days :d
Quote:
oh its not uh ... its a wall
Quote:
ITS CASBAH :O
Hope you find it useful
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2009, 12:02 PM   #92
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
It's a good remake and I've enjoyed it so far.

It definitely needs some form of signage on the walls though, it's quite a confusing map for new players and adding some painted arrows or signs somewhere on the walls wouldn't hurt at all.

The other thing I felt that could be changed a little was the main brick texture, I don't have a problem with how it looks just how often it's sitting there on very plain walls. It reminds me of the 'classic' remakes of avanti and ksour which I would prefer it didn't. I'm not saying change the texture, but it feels like a bit more variation would complete this map visually. The signage would help break up the monotony of that texture, so maybe you can kill two birds with one stone.

Overall though, good work.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #93
GiGaBiTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xks View Post
It's a good remake and I've enjoyed it so far.

It definitely needs some form of signage on the walls though, it's quite a confusing map for new players and adding some painted arrows or signs somewhere on the walls wouldn't hurt at all.
Why do people continually irritate me by not reading the thread, going to the last page and posting the same thing over and over again?

Last edited by GiGaBiTe; 02-26-2009 at 01:32 AM.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #94
xks
Exceedingly Correct.

Class/Position: Variable
Gametype: QuakeLive CTF
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
Why do people continually irritate me by not reading the thread, going to the last page and posting the same thing over and over again?
I posted without reading the whole thread, I glanced at most of it and read the last two pages before I posted.

Only one person really mentioned the walls being a little bland but not in the way I did. Another person mentioned about the floor which I thought was absolutely fine. Someone else mentioned about some form of directions, which I agreed with.

I'm not trying to criticise your map in a negative way, I think it looks fantastic and I've enjoyed running around it looking at all the things you've added to it. I feel the more opinions from the community you get about a map you've created the better.

You can get annoyed at what I wrote or take it as yet more praise and thoughts on a map you've created. Surely it's better that people are interested and post their views than no one seeming to care?

It's a big map for most of us and we all liked it so you're bound to get a lot of opinions on it. If the new Rock2 and Badlands turn out as good as this then we can all be very pleased.
xks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #95
GiGaBiTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xks View Post
I posted without reading the whole thread, I glanced at most of it and read the last two pages before I posted.

Only one person really mentioned the walls being a little bland but not in the way I did. Another person mentioned about the floor which I thought was absolutely fine. Someone else mentioned about some form of directions, which I agreed with.

I'm not trying to criticise your map in a negative way, I think it looks fantastic and I've enjoyed running around it looking at all the things you've added to it. I feel the more opinions from the community you get about a map you've created the better.

You can get annoyed at what I wrote or take it as yet more praise and thoughts on a map you've created. Surely it's better that people are interested and post their views than no one seeming to care?

It's a big map for most of us and we all liked it so you're bound to get a lot of opinions on it. If the new Rock2 and Badlands turn out as good as this then we can all be very pleased.
I was more talking about the signs. I'm getting tired of people complaining about them. There are no suitable signs for the map and I'm not able to make them. If people want signs for the map, they can make them and I'll add them.

As for the walls and floors, they're staying the way they are. This is a remake of casbah, and as such it should resemble the original casbah, not go way off and add super-detailed walls, insane and ridiculous curves or other such nonsense.

I realize I'm being an ass, but this map has brought me a great deal of headaches, letdowns and anger. I just want to be left alone and people stop bugging me about it.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #96
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
map needs more signs tbh

lighten up gigabite, youre bound to hurt yourself getting all worked up about the forums.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 02:08 AM   #97
GiGaBiTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
map needs more signs tbh

lighten up gigabite, youre bound to hurt yourself getting all worked up about the forums.
Where did I say the forums were bothering me? I'm getting flak from everywhere, not just here.

Oh, and you're not helping the situation.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 AM   #98
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
I feel your pain. It's very annoying to get criticism about stuff that is obvious, and that you already copped to. Check your PMs in about 1 minute.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #99
Lt Llama

I had a little run through yesterday. Forgot as usual to use bzip2 for the map so it tooks some time to download for people. I think if this map had been released at the very beginning of FF it would have been one of THE great maps. Now it is hard for any map to get the attention it deserves.

This IS casbah for me. The trims you added works very well. Fav spot is the room after the little bridge. I like what you did with the ceiling. About new players dont finding their way? Are new players more stupid than when we started playing casbah? If they cant find their way to the flag room then they probably have problem finding their own shoes.

The only odd thing is that some people get the problem with shiny, silvery looking crates, a white crowbar and weapons. I had that in beta 3. Then had a comp disaster and switched to another one. In beta 4 everything looks fine. But two players wondered "is it supposed to look like this?". Someone said it is because of cubemaps. But how come it looks normal for me and not for others? Is it the map or is it FF?

Oh yea, someone requested a couple of clouds .
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2009, 06:48 AM   #100
GiGaBiTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Llama View Post
I had a little run through yesterday. Forgot as usual to use bzip2 for the map so it tooks some time to download for people. I think if this map had been released at the very beginning of FF it would have been one of THE great maps. Now it is hard for any map to get the attention it deserves.

This IS casbah for me. The trims you added works very well. Fav spot is the room after the little bridge. I like what you did with the ceiling. About new players dont finding their way? Are new players more stupid than when we started playing casbah? If they cant find their way to the flag room then they probably have problem finding their own shoes.

The only odd thing is that some people get the problem with shiny, silvery looking crates, a white crowbar and weapons. I had that in beta 3. Then had a comp disaster and switched to another one. In beta 4 everything looks fine. But two players wondered "is it supposed to look like this?". Someone said it is because of cubemaps. But how come it looks normal for me and not for others? Is it the map or is it FF?

Oh yea, someone requested a couple of clouds .
I built the cubemaps for both HDR and LDR so I don't know what's wrong there. All I can suggest is the map possibly got corrupted when downloaded from the server (I've had it happen frequently) or their client is glitched.

The clouds.. Casbah is in a desert, you rarely see clouds. If I can find a skybox with few clouds and a reason to update the map again, I might do it. Otherwise, it's going to stay as-is.