Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping > Maps

Old 06-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #81
own3r
Custom mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Very impressive i look forward to see what you do with these skills of yours very good so far keep it up.

As far as things being "clean" do you mean adding rust (orangy I presume) or adding slime etc?
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #82
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Some pukestains from dieing and respawning over and over again.. few accidents on the way to toalet and such too? j/k

I totally agree with you on the hammered thing.
Even tho I thought that it was because it makes you hammer your computer because the brushes dont show up as you planned them and fucks everything that is bit more complex, up.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #83
barronofhellion

thanks for the comments and conserns... all of these textures are still in the wip stage, but need touchups still... just showing off something other then nodraw pictures heh... the only texture i have done are the two air vents... one is in the map wip preview and the other is this one... actually there still is a little bit more normal maping work to be done on it because i added rust and some dust at the air holes...
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/3...box0032bj6.jpg

Last edited by trepid_jesse; 06-18-2007 at 02:34 AM.
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #84
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by own3r
Very impressive i look forward to see what you do with these skills of yours very good so far keep it up.

As far as things being "clean" do you mean adding rust (orangy I presume) or adding slime etc?
I don't know exactly. Maybe its cuz everything in there looks brand new, no scratches or anything....hmm.. thats really not what I want to say but I just cant put my finger on it.
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM   #85
barronofhellion

well thats what i would say , really i just started work on the textures , and need to add the little details still, the reason i did them at this point is to see if they would turn out right, if it feels right in the map then ill add more details to it, but if it looks like crap then its back to the drawing tablet, saves me a lot of painting if it looks like crap heh.. the air vents looked great in the spots there in on the map thats why they are the 2 that are done

Old 06-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #86
Beetle
Beta than eva'

I think your textures would be perfect for nod's ( or whoever's) remake of Axl's Hwguyz. It would make it look very arcade, what with all the flashing lights.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:19 PM   #87
`badger`

Send a message via MSN to `badger`
Looks interesting!
`badger` is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #88
nodnarb

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle
I think your textures would be perfect for nod's ( or whoever's) remake of Axl's Hwguyz. It would make it look very arcade, what with all the flashing lights.
Shax ended up taking over it.
nodnarb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2007, 06:49 PM   #89
own3r
Custom mapper

Should the blue bits on the floor be there? It reminds me of the purple checkers when textures go wrong... i still have nightmares.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:17 PM   #90
barronofhellion

lol , well its not going to be on the main floor , its actually part of the power core battery like thingys, (check the last nodraw pic) was just testing it , ran out of faces that weren't textured yet.
actually the original map for Ut is sorta arcadish , if you consider a map thats lowgrav and has huge wind tubes the run around the map.. so thats where im tring to go with the textures, although like i say i will add more details in the future.. once i start with my compiling.
im currently working on the main floor texture actually , this is going to take a lot of work

Old 06-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #91
barronofhellion

well not much to update on this time, but the new floor texture i have , since its tiled so much it might not be good to add more to it but i still might

Old 06-09-2007, 10:07 PM   #92
own3r
Custom mapper

Yeah maybe some larger more rectangular ones with grooves cut out of the corners with smaller (square) tiles in the gaps at each corner?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:33 AM   #93
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
Things are really coming together. Few mappers put in the effort to make their own textures, but you have the dedication and motivation. Well done indeed!

The 'looks TF2ey' that some people have mentioned could be that the textures look very clean. If you can add some dirt, scrapes, scuffs, gruff, etc. to make them look more weathered/realistic, thatd be wonderful. Regardless, the animated textures are great and the layout of your map looks like a party.

How many people do you want to play on it? If it gets too big, the open spaces can tear peoples video cards to shreds - so watch out. I love the last shot you posted where everything is white with the starry window - well done on making the architecture first. Get some more texturing rolling (you don't have to use all custom textures ) and I can give you more feedback.

Keep up the good work!
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #94
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
The 'looks TF2ey' that some people have mentioned could be that the textures look very clean. If you can add some dirt, scrapes, scuffs, gruff, etc. to make them look more weathered/realistic, thatd be wonderful. Regardless, the animated textures are great and the layout of your map looks like a party.
Yep, he's not done with the textures, he said they are WIP.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #95
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Yep, he's not done with the textures, he said they are WIP.
Which is why I gave suggestions on how to make them better. Don't be condescending.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #96
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Which is why I gave suggestions on how to make them better. Don't be condescending.
Yep but you exactly gave the ideas that he had already had have by own3r and himself.

Old 06-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #97
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Actually, they wanted to add "little details" and "rust (orangy I presume) or adding slime etc" whereas I recommended adding "dirt, scrapes, scuffs, gruff, etc." I did not "exactly" give the same ideas. It is like they said 'add some details on the walls' and I said 'add some windows, trim, dimension and overhangs, etc.' Similar, but no means "exactly" the same.

Now that that is settled, lets get back to the thread. These last 5 or 6 posts have done nothing to help barronofhellion.

Speaking of which, I'm looking forward to seeing how you'll do the lighting in the map. There will be many interesting ways to do it since you have lighting in your textures already.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #98
barronofhellion

oh i will get to the details when i get a good feeling for the map, the major problem with details and huge maps like this is tiling, if you put a scuff mark or dent or whatnot in something , it repeats 10000 times and looks crappy , so what i wanted to do was make all the texture ideas i have basic and get them on the walls, when im done with the map and texturing for the most part go back and then add to them , or make decals to just add a bit of wear... i wish to use all my own texture because the ff map textures are all real life places, the map im working on is in a huge alien like hall , and besides that it keeps me busy and gets me out of the "bitch about updates thread" lol... really since it is such a basic layout map all the time it would take me to make the map stuff will go into the textures ... its hard to tell with that wip test map and the pictures of the nodraws but there are trims , i just added a over hang today for the main lighting...

edit- map should do good with 10vs10 maybe more might get insane but i like it insane

Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 PM   #99
Beetle
Beta than eva'

nah you can fix the repeating things by just making the scuff decals

Old 06-10-2007, 08:26 PM   #100
Donny
Community Mapper&Idiot

That 'thing' over the catwalk looks awsome.