Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-15-2005, 09:30 PM   #1
o_yohan1973

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Map concept question for the tech heads

Ok boys, here it goes, this is a concept behind two of the maps I’m working on currently.
The first map is simply a FF version of a little cheesy map I did for hl1 tfc. There are two flags and one capture point that is in a hole connected to a teleporter (teleporting you back to your respective base). The capture point is in the middle of the map and each team dashes to the middle to be the first to jump into the hole. Once through the other teams flag returns and a counter starts up giving the “hole” holding team points. It’s a very simple king of the “hill/ hole” type map. The other map builds from this concept but adds some complication. I’m not sure if it can be done or if I even have the understanding of entities to do it myself. There are still 2 teams, 1 flag per team, but this time 4 capture points (2 blue and 2 red). You have to take your flag to the other side before the other team gets their flag to your side. Once you get your flag to the enemy side you’ll have your option between two different holes to jump through. The easiest hole (hole 1) will count off maybe 2 points per 8 seconds of occupation. The more difficult hole (hole 2) will count off maybe 3 points per 8 seconds of occupation. The way the level is set up it will take about 10-20 seconds to move the flag from one end of the map to the other. The holes are really close to each other, hole 2 just requires more skill to get through. (That's all I'll say about that )Would this lil concept be possible or do I have to better explain it in order to obtain a more technical answer? I would post pics of the maps I’m working on but they are not mirrored and are all “Orange” as of now since I’m waiting on the FF textures to be released. Thus they are not nit-picked detailed either…
o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
o_broodingdude

Not techie, but here are the textures:
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/viewtopic.php?t=1907
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2005, 10:33 PM   #3
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by broodingdude
Not techie, but here are the textures:
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/viewtopic.php?t=1907
I thought that was an incomplete texture pack....Hmmmmm, I guess I'm just late huh, lol.

Old 06-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
o_jerm

it's an incomplete non official texture pack

imo wait for the ff team to release theirs with the game
o_jerm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 01:35 PM   #5
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerm
it's an incomplete non official texture pack

imo wait for the ff team to release theirs with the game
Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I agree, I checked out that pack, it's all metals.

Ohh please let the official texture pack be top notch(I'm sure it will be)! I'm in mapping limbo. I can't seem to make anymore progress on anything since my little head won't further process anything without the visual aid that detail mapping with the correct textures afords.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
o_drtom

you could take the hl2 textures and just panit a red & blue line on them? thats basically what 99% of tfc textures are
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
o_ginger lord

It's what I've done for my Epicenter remake as well.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2005, 08:18 AM   #8
o_thedarkone

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtom
you could take the hl2 textures and just panit a red & blue line on them? thats basically what 99% of tfc textures are
But then all those textures would have to be inlcuded with your map, massively bloating the file size. They might work well, but if I want to try a Source remake of some old TFC map, I don't want to have to download 30 megs worth of stuff because the author didn't use any of the dev team's textures.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #9
o_drtom

i guess hl2 textures would be bigger than hl1 so maybe your right, but atm custom textures with maps make the file liek 5~6 meg, and with everyone on broadband i dont think 15-20 meg for a map and textures is that bad

but yea your probably right :P
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2005, 12:33 PM   #10
o_ginger lord

Some of the custom DoD: Source maps people are making and testing in the beta test the .bsps are well over 25mb, without models and sounds included into the .bsp.

Then again DoD maps are huge and have tons of entities, the new Avalanche has over 5000 entities placed by hand.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote