Old 10-12-2007, 06:40 PM   #81
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Is the physical effect of the concs hitting the walls being looked at? I know that in TFC you could bounce a conc off of the wall and it wouldn't loose any speed, but in FF it significantly effects the conc. Is this something that is being looked at or proposed to change, or do we just have to learn to deal with it?
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM   #82
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hey, i just wanted to ask if you are working on the "loop sound" crash or the "blue screen" one.

Here in argentina we play only clan-style and those bugs are preventing us to play clan v clan matches. And a lots of new players run scared with that "5 or more minutes to load a map" bug, some of them have 1gb ram and games like cs:s and tf2 loads way more fast.

We really dont want to turn to tf2, but a lot of people is doing it and i cant blame them, if my game took 5 minutes to load and after a couple of minutes it crashes and meanwhile i play with not too good fpsrate due to the high requeriments needed (that beat cs:s and tf2 ones)... I might consider it as well.

I just want to know if you are working on those 3 big badass bugs for the next patch so we can keep people playing FF, we are kinda starving of players. And yes, we tried with the drivers and the cuality models and all that stuff for the crashes.

Thanks a lot and good keep up the good work, you created a game with A LOT of potential, exploit that!
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 11:12 PM   #83
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
We fixed a number of bugs, including crash bugs, and the one that made up 90% of the dump files we recieved, so you should definately give the patch a shot when it comes out. There is no specific blue screen or should loop crash. Peoples system react differently to crashes. Bluescreens or hard lockups are usually a signal of a deeper problem. The patch should help everyones stability though.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 11:32 PM   #84
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Has the fps increase? Have the maps been optimized even more? It gets unplayable at some points, and I was wondering if its going to be the same story with the patch ...
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #85
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Hey, i just wanted to ask if you are working on the "loop sound" crash or the "blue screen" one.

Here in argentina we play only clan-style and those bugs are preventing us to play clan v clan matches. And a lots of new players run scared with that "5 or more minutes to load a map" bug, some of them have 1gb ram and games like cs:s and tf2 loads way more fast.

We really dont want to turn to tf2, but a lot of people is doing it and i cant blame them, if my game took 5 minutes to load and after a couple of minutes it crashes and meanwhile i play with not too good fpsrate due to the high requeriments needed (that beat cs:s and tf2 ones)... I might consider it as well.

I just want to know if you are working on those 3 big badass bugs for the next patch so we can keep people playing FF, we are kinda starving of players. And yes, we tried with the drivers and the cuality models and all that stuff for the crashes.

Thanks a lot and good keep up the good work, you created a game with A LOT of potential, exploit that!
WHAT?! TF2 requires DX8 and above. FF requires DX7 and above. i dont think FF's beats TF2's by a LONG shot.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 06:30 AM   #86
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494
WHAT?! TF2 requires DX8 and above. FF requires DX7 and above. i dont think FF's beats TF2's by a LONG shot.
I dont know if you tried tf2 but you definitely get better fps and they worked to make the models and stuff to look really smooth so even with 15 - 20 fps you dont get the choppy feeling you get in ff with less than 40 fps. I guess thats the only good thing about that "comic style" look tf2 has.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #87
justanotherplayer

demoman changes?

Are there any Demoman changes coming up? As of now the Demo feels just too weak. Also the pipebombs and the redgrens seem to bounce way too much off the ground right now (its like they have a too low gravity = hard to lay traps close to the player himself) and the hitbox for the redgrens seems quite small nowadays. The pipebomb detonation delay feels too long as well.

Are there any changes coming up for that class?

Old 10-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #88
NewKleer

it would be great if the patch can include some of the more popular custom maps, because majority of people wont sit around and wait for a 50mb map to download...which means the only maps that dont clear the server of people are the std ones
NewKleer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2007, 08:18 AM   #89
Beavis

Agreed. 1.1 needs some new maps! The playerbase needs a jumpstart again and bugfixes won't help that much.

Please devs, think about this! You need that extra "x" factor in the upcoming patch to bring in new players and old players back.

The default map rotation needs to be changed as well, get rid of Push for a start. All the servers here in Australia pretty much used the default map rotation (sigh) and when maps like Push comes on the servers went dead.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #90
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
maps aren't made overnight. we aren't delaying code fixes for the sake of waiting for new maps. other than that, i agree new maps are needed.

Old 10-14-2007, 09:50 PM   #91
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Is the engineer building in displacemetns thing going to fixed in 1.1?
Or do the mappers need to fill all the cracks with nobuild...
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 01:55 AM   #92
richard nixon

You should include custom maps. But if I was in your shoes I'd be hesitant about that. But then again you could put a warning along with a checkbox to enable installing of custom maps and the warning should say "if it don't work don't come to us". Might help alleviate some jerks complaining and dissing the mod...dunno how many.

I have to disagree with whoever said bug-fix patches don't bring back more people. There's plenty of people who discontinue playing because they get annoyed easy by bugs and what they might think as "unpolished" aspects like animations/sounds/medengy menu. I think maps would increase the popularity maybe a little bit more than a bug fix.

and to the Push hater, I've never seen that happen. I don't think you should remove Push from the default rotation. If you don't like it that much and if you really think it's a problem take it up to the server operator where you like to play at. Don't try and ruin the fun for us Push lovers. There's other servers, if you don't like Push leave. I personally have a big hard-on for ff_push to be honest.

To the devs: Have you an idea about a possible release date? Like a ballpark figure. Say 2 months? 1? 4? Just like to know to get something to look forward to.
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 02:02 AM   #93
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
Is the engineer building in displacemetns thing going to fixed in 1.1?
Or do the mappers need to fill all the cracks with nobuild...
Well I can tell you that I know it is at least getting worked on. A solution or at least partial solution will likely be in place for 1.1.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #94
Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
maps aren't made overnight. we aren't delaying code fixes for the sake of waiting for new maps. other than that, i agree new maps are needed.
Sorry mervaka, I meant one or two of the community maps that have been released already - the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
There's other servers, if you don't like Push leave.
Unfortunately, not in Australia.
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 05:54 PM   #95
Eric the Pixie

SG Vunerability

Maybe its just me, but I think the SG is severely lacking in stamina.

On more occasions than I would like to admit, I've been killed, my level3 SG has blown up and a dispenser near me has also bit the dust - all at the same time and what did it? A SINGLE GRENADE from a medic.

The first few times I thought it might be due to the dispenser contributing to the blast, but time and time again, I lose a Level3 SG (with full armour and health) - even when the gun is on its own - to just one well placed gren from a medic. Even if I sit behind it twatting away with my trusty spanner, a single gren kills both me and the L3 SG - not terribly handy and a tad frustrating when you consider all those trips back and forth building the damn thing in the first place.

Another observation is the lack of any real damage from a Soldier's nail bomb - it just does its spinny thing, goes off like a damp squib and everybody carries on as if nothing happened lol. I can remember when these things caused a fair bit of damage to SG's and anything else in a closed space - not anymore.

I think we could do with a different sound for the engineer giving armour, ie a distinct sound that happens every time you strike the player. At the moment I hear the same sound for every spanner swipe and its difficult to tell if I've actually hit my team mate or if I've swiped fresh air.

These are constructive criticisms btw, I'm not complaining. I'm just pointing out that maybe there still needs to be a wee bit of tweaking to be done in these areas.

On a final note, the SG models, animations and textures are 100% spot-on. I often get distracted by standing admiring the brilliant "Cast-Metal" effect and the way the light reflects off the various surfaces - top job.

EDIT: I forgot to ask this, is it possible to have the SG face the Engie (by default) when he makes it. I appreciate it will point towards you automatically if you build in a corner, but at all other times it points away from you, and tbh, I often can't make out which way it is pointing from the transparent image when you build in that 50/50 area near a corner or wall.
This request is no big deal really, I reckon I will adapt to the way it works at present if its something that will cause a shed-load of work to change - but I thought I'd mention it anyway since I was banging on about Engineer stuff.

Last edited by Eric the Pixie; 10-15-2007 at 06:04 PM.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:07 PM   #96
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
I dont know if you tried tf2 but you definitely get better fps and they worked to make the models and stuff to look really smooth so even with 15 - 20 fps you dont get the choppy feeling you get in ff with less than 40 fps. I guess thats the only good thing about that "comic style" look tf2 has.
uh, ok. i get 20 FPS all the time. meh, i guess i havent noticed any "smoothness" or "choppyness" since i know only one small range of FPS. once i upgrade though....
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #97
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Is the physical effect of the concs hitting the walls being looked at? I know that in TFC you could bounce a conc off of the wall and it wouldn't loose any speed, but in FF it significantly effects the conc. Is this something that is being looked at or proposed to change, or do we just have to learn to deal with it?
Just quoting myself hoping someone responds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric
EDIT: I forgot to ask this, is it possible to have the SG face the Engie (by default) when he makes it. I appreciate it will point towards you automatically if you build in a corner, but at all other times it points away from you, and tbh, I often can't make out which way it is pointing from the transparent image when you build in that 50/50 area near a corner or wall.
This request is no big deal really, I reckon I will adapt to the way it works at present if its something that will cause a shed-load of work to change - but I thought I'd mention it anyway since I was banging on about Engineer stuff.
You can aim the sg anywhere you are aiming...that's the magic of the new Sg...
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 PM   #98
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Woot for messagemode! Now FF has a feature that all other source mods SHOULD have.

Maybe this will motivate Valve to put this in the damn engine.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #99
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
maps aren't made overnight.
ill say, ive been working on a cheasy 'port' of hall of giants for 4 months now ! most of that texture creation tho lol... and im currently at the trouble shoot hammers lameness step
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2007, 09:31 AM   #100
Eric the Pixie

@ Dr.Satan

Quote:
You can aim the sg anywhere you are aiming...that's the magic of the new Sg...
Good point m8, there are a lot of nice touches to this game, and that's one of them

My trouble is, I'm a bit dim - and I'm slowly climbing out of TFC mode and starting to appreciate the way FF does things - I only paid attention to the aim thing after you mentioned it, lol. (got it bound to a key now).

Still, I hope the SG's take less damage or the meds gren gets reduced in power sometime soon.