Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > FF Technical Support

Old 09-18-2007, 11:19 AM   #41
Ratman_84

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Getting error.

"The name '-applaunch' specified in the Target box is not valid. Make sure the path and file name are correct."

Old 09-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #42
Thunderknight
Supreme Jackass

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Make sure you:

Spelled it right
No quotations around it

It should look like this:

"c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\FortressForever" -dxlevel81
Thunderknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #43
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderknight
Make sure you:

Spelled it right
No quotations around it

It should look like this:

"c:\program files\steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\FortressForever" -dxlevel81
No, it should be "applaunch 215 -game "D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\SourceMods\FortressFor ever" -dxlevel70" Make sure you take out the first and last quotes, but leave the ones around the path, and make sure that goes at the end of whatever is in the target field on the short, and not replacing what's already there.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 07:05 PM   #44
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

another way to do this is the following:

1. run steam
2. right click on the steam icon in your task bar
3. select "games"
4. find "Fortress Forever" and right click on it
5. click on properties
6. click on "set launch options..."
7. paste this on the empty space:

-dxlevel 70

or,

-dxlevel 81

because i've read that dxlevel is gonna be restricted to 80 and higher

8. click ok
9. click "close"

After you have started FF with the new dxlevel 70, any resolution changes you make, will default back to FF default. For instance, if you change the res to 640x480, when you start ff again, it'll default back to 800x600.

To stop this, start your game with the dxlevel 70 thing. Then, exit the game. Then, remove the -dxlevel 70 line by repeating steps 1-9, but deleting that -dxlevel 70 line, instead of adding it.

Then restart FF. Your hardware setting for dxlevel is now going to stay at 70 unless you change it in the future with -dxlevel <something>, as well as your res and details.

It's a very round about way, but it seems to work.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #45
Vertigo

I've had this problem since the summer of 2006 with HL2: Ep1 and Valve says they can't reproduce the problem. I've been trying to fix it eversince and so have others on the Steam forums. I don't believe it will get fixed any time soon. Playing in -dxlevel 70 is the ONLY solution for me.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:27 PM   #46
strikerman

Having -dxlevel 70 worked perfectly for me. I've tried running it in several different configs from lowest res/graphics to 1280x1024 with everything on high, and still no crash! Makes me happy, plus I can see a cloaked spy easier haha.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:34 PM   #47
Ratman_84

I put -dxlevel 70 in the launch options command line and it seems to have solved the problem. Graphics just look a tiny bit worse and buttons and switches don't show up until I move close to them. Kinda annoying, but far less annoying than crashing ever 5 minutes.

Here's hoping it continues to work. And that they find a fix for it.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #48
blaster

I think alot of people with ATI vid cards have been having issues lately because they came out with a new update on 10th of September. After I updated my vid card I didn't have any more connection issues. At first windows firewall kept blocking everything but that is fixed now..

I had the game installed but under tools in steam I didn't have the SDK bases installed either. That may have been why I was having so much trouble before..

Anyway yeah I joined a 2fort server for the first time a few minutes ago and it locked up and looped the sound..Same thing you guys are having. I know it isn't the vid-card issue though because I'm all updated. Nothing is being blocked by firewalls/security software and everything should run smoothly. Not sure about the heapsize thing I never heard of it but if I wanted to change it how do I do that? Thanks..

Old 09-19-2007, 12:16 AM   #49
richard nixon

I get the same crash, it will just freeze the audio will loop and after a few seconds it will go to desktop and says "hl2.exe has encountered an error and needs to close" blah blah

and the funny thing is, is that it always happens when I'm the hwguy. Now I do play that class a whole lot so that might be it, but I also play demoman and pyro quite often too, depends on the map. It's never happened when I played and it crashed the other times, but that may be all to chance and probability.

And yes my computer is 100% clean of everything, no remnants of old drivers, everything is updated, nothing is overclocked, my shit is as smooth as baby's bottom. I have set my -dxlevel to 81 and to 90 just to see if that fixed, and it did not. I tried switching it to -dxlevel 70 or whatever and I'm not going to put up with that ugliness just to play a mod. So in short, I've done all the recommended things in this thread and others. I believe it is a problem with FF and not the Source SDK Base as other mods that came out before the newest update have no had any problem whatsoever.

Also I'm not running the Steam Community ingame so I doubt that is the problem as well.

Besides the crashing the game runs pretty fucking good and is damn good fun to play. Since money is short lately I'm glad I can play the next generation TF game without buying TF2 (which I will...eventually, but I still love you FF). No other problems other than the scoreboard issue bother me. Even with the crashing I still play the game very often. (2-3 hours a day if I'm not out/busy)

here is my mdmp file that just happened to me while playing on dustbowl minutes ago (as hwguy): http://rapidshare.com/files/56666110...pfile.zip.html

and I have forgot: I have a Nvidia geforce 6200 with the latest drivers (tried switching to the non-beta and had same problems so I went back to the very latest)
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #50
Bakedbean
Crap, where's a gun!?

Dr.Uudge thanks it work perfectly so far, no looping sound.
Bakedbean is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 02:29 AM   #51
Deja Vu

thought I'd register to post this - same problem with game freezing, sound looping, and sometimes my whole pc freezing (sometimes I can alt-tab out). Specs -

Athlon64 3200+
1GB Mushkin DDR400
Asus A8V
ATI Radeon x850 256MB (latest Catalyst)
Realtek Onboard Audio
Win XP Pro SP 2

I have no other issues with any other source game/mod. In fact, I play Insurgency all the time and have never had it crash.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #52
Jabberwock

neither no sound or -dxlevel70 worked for me.... what do i do? i finally got past retrieving server info, and now this shit

Old 09-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #53
Vertigo

The lower I set dxlevel, the easier it is for me to alt-tab out and bring out the task manager. When it does, Steam is chugging 100% CPU usage and when it stops doing that, I can get back into the game. Steam, at least in part, seems the likely culprit, or just reacts to a problem caused in HL2 by going apeshit.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #54
northy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu
Alright, does it give any error, or does it just crash without a word?
Sometimes, OpenGL error, only had it happen once so far.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:27 PM   #55
Deja Vu

yeah so I lied....I was playing Insurgency last night for the first time since FF came out and it locked up. My guess is that the Steam update is what is causing this issue on my machine. I'm gonna give a few other Source games a try tonight and see if I get the same problem.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 AM   #56
nautika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Uudge
another way to do this is the following:

1. run steam
2. right click on the steam icon in your task bar
3. select "games"
4. find "Fortress Forever" and right click on it
5. click on properties
6. click on "set launch options..."
7. paste this on the empty space:

-dxlevel 70

or,

-dxlevel 81

how do i set dxlevel back to default? or even know which is my default dxlevel?

Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM   #57
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Prepare a sacrifice for the gods, give me 200 USD plus a plane ticket to your place of residence, and I'll do it for you.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #58
Guerilla

hey all ive crashed ingame about hmm 10-20 times in the past few days, kinda random occurences, sometimes i got 2 hours or sometimes 30 seconds

i have zipped up my mdmp files for the devs to look at to help see the root of the problem

Click here to download crashlogs.zip

Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #59
TriaD

I've had this problem with hl2 mods ever since valve put out that gdamn source sdk base.
Since its the base engine all hl2 mods run off of, I can't really run any hl2 mod without the problem. But I run HL2 and hl2dm just fine.

I think its a problem with some kinda texture error and DirectX. I noticed I never had the problem when playing any dod:s orange maps. But I would crash on every other dod:s map.

Reinstalling the game didnt help
New Drivers
Updated DirectX
lowering DirectX(helped a little, crashes less often)

I recently thought I had fixed my troubles by setting my -dxlevel to 81 and running powerstrip at the same time. That worked wonderfully for about a week. But I tempted fate... and changed my dxlevel back to 90. Now im getting crashes all over again.
TriaD is offline   Reply With Quote