Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-17-2008, 03:07 AM   #21
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Wrestling games are probably the most low budget games out there. I'm a semi wrestling fan (I'll watch it when I catch it on TV) and I don't mind playing them but the controls are just so sloppy and the graphics look worse than those $2.00 Burger King games. Even worse from here on out WWE is developing their own games or last I heard anyway. Wrestling and sports games are the B movies of the game industry. Only good a few months after release and only enjoyed a little over time only to be rehashed with a different title 6 months to a year later.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #22
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Pretty sure Freeman is about as far removed as you can get from a stereotypical hero.
I'm pretty sure he isn't.

He's a brown haired _____ who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

This can be turned around to almost every FPS ever made.

Replace ______ with:

Convict
Man in a suit
Physicist
Bad-Dude

He's a brown haired physicist who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a man in a suit who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a convict who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a bad-dude who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombis, aliens, and even men.

Just replace his occupation/background with whatever the character is and it's a copy+pasted story.

FYI: 20 cool points if you guess which of the characters I'm talking about.

Edit: Also, Uber can't get any further away from missing a point. But it's ok, you can try to be witty.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
I disagree whole heartedly. There are very few physical attributes in those characters that are similar as well as a serious lack of characteristics in "personality" in those characters.

There are some similarities but not enough to justify your statements in my opinion. To insult people that disagree the way that you have implies that you can't even handle the possibility that you're wrong.
No. There are many physical attributes that are similar between those characters as well as them all having similar personalities.

Gordon Freeman has short, messy, brown hair, and a goatee. Solid Snake has short, messy, brown hair, and a goatee. The Bionic Commando guy has long, messy, brown hair, and a goatee. The GoW guy has short non-messy brown hair, and a goatee.

The GoW guy follows the orders he is given. Gordon Freeman follows the orders he is given. Solid Snake follows the orders he is given. The Bionic Commando guy follows the orders he is given.

Gordon Freeman doesn't give a shit. The GoW guy doesn't give a shit. The Bionic Commando guy doesn't give a shit. Snake does. HE'S A REBEL.

They're incredibly similar, with Snake having the most personality only because he has meaningful dialogue and is part of an epic story that actually makes sense and can be followed. Having more personality, though, doesn't mean that he has a different personality than the others.

Also, I haven't insulted anybody. People are purposefully missing a point because I included their beloved hero in the mix, which is sad.

It's mainly Uber, though, who doesn't really understand what he's talking about.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Credge; 04-17-2008 at 03:51 AM.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #23
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Seriously dudes, lets get some purple-haired, clean shaven, unemployed, disobedient, hippopotamus-killing, child raping characters up in this bitch. Anything less is totally unoriginal and can't be fun. I mean COME ON, no one actually has messy brown hair. Taking orders? BORING.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 04:10 AM   #24
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
I'm pretty sure he isn't.

He's a brown haired _____ who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

This can be turned around to almost every FPS ever made.

Replace ______ with:

Convict
Man in a suit
Physicist
Bad-Dude

He's a brown haired physicist who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a man in a suit who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a convict who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombies, aliens, and even men.

He's a bad-dude who, through some turn of events, has to save the world from zombis, aliens, and even men.

Just replace his occupation/background with whatever the character is and it's a copy+pasted story.

FYI: 20 cool points if you guess which of the characters I'm talking about.
Are you referring to Duke Nukem?

BTW, I agree to a certain extent with the "same-ism" of the games...I think there's been alot more emphasis on eye-candy than there is pushing innovation in terms of storyline, action, character motivation. Like the Phys-X card...honestly...I could care less. What do I play regularly? Games that are anywhere from 3-10 years old. Those are the ones with replay value for me.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM   #25
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Hey I like this game. What else can we use as a topic for "give a few vague generalities that apply to a few instances and bitch about it!"

All forums suck! They have threads and posts and people who are idiots. How uninspired!

All restaraunts are boring! They have food that people pay to eat! LAAAAAME! I'm tired of eating delicious hamburgers or fried chicken or tacos or pizza and paying money, how about something original?

am I winning the game?

Old 04-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #26
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Shit guys, I've figured out the problem. This is what Valve obviously should have done:

Last edited by uBeR; 04-17-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 05:59 AM   #27
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
^Oh Shit

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 AM   #28
Inceptor
/Fail

I only really play FPS's...

Halo - I haven't played 3 yet but I'm pretty sure its the same thing. There's no feel for it. Maybe if you're one of those halo enthusiasts who study every little thing in the SP story. But honestly.

COD - I think I've played all of them. Never played multiplayer but all the games seemed repetitive. I haven't seen COD 4 as of yet in detail, but them going into modern warfare should break the retardedness.

Gordon Frohman - He has glasses. I dont really follow character development in games, but HL2 probably has one of the best storylines out there IMO.

Fortress - Awesome.

But yeah. Ideas are starting to get repetitive. Uber dood with guns goes kills aliens/terrorists and wins.
Inceptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 06:46 AM   #29
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
What about F.E.A.R., that was different!

I still don't get the whole story...(busy with Extraction point, holy hell Alma got pissed!)
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:33 PM   #30
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

I never looked at Snake as the "usual stereotype". Metal Gear Solid was a very well thought out and executed game. I don't feel in anyway that there was anything unsatisfying about it. Now the other games that came after it are horrible but thats another story.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:52 PM   #31
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I never looked at Snake as the "usual stereotype". Metal Gear Solid was a very well thought out and executed game. I don't feel in anyway that there was anything unsatisfying about it. Now the other games that came after it are horrible but thats another story.
But that's the point. Sequels are being made in more and more of a rushed fashion just to get it out and make money off of them.

I understand the true point. It seems almost EVERY game that comes out is another FPS with no new noteworthy features. Where are the amazing RPGs? How about the platform action games like Prince of Persia and Devil May Cry? Sports games are adding less and less innovative new features every year as well.

This is what happens when your pop culture revolves around technology. Eventually you'll hit a ceiling, even if it's just drywall and will be broken down soon.

The whole point is that there are just enough games out there that have just enough slight differences that the average person that picks up a game once every month or two will keep buying those games every other month and not get bored with it. It's also ok for the EXTREME gamers who buy every title they come across and want to review them and pick them apart piece by piece.

But what about the middle-man? A couple games a month? Where's the innovation we saw in the 90s? Where we would regularly see a new UI of some sort or get something totally new?

Gone with graphics, sadly. It seems to me that when the graphics started getting more and more realistic game writers were given less and less money and did worse and worse work because it costs so damn much to make those characters and backgrounds look so damn good. I, too, would like to see something fresh and new that we've never seen before. A whole new UI that isn't really point and shoot with a story line that draws you in, not just keeps you entertained for a couple hours at a time.

It's gotten to the point where I've given up on the modern RPGs because I can put them down and walk away without any second thought. That's sad.
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM   #32
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Halo's one two and three were updates of each other. They created an online community and wanted to maintain that so each game was essentially just an update to that community . that's why the online play is so similar. The story has progressed and Halo 3, story wise, was a let down for me.

The game itself however, is original in it's own right. Not to mention the intense visual upgrades the game has recieved.

Let me get one thing straight though, I'm just tossing reasons, not excuses, and I like plenty of other games more than I like Halo. Half-Life, the original has still offered more to the gaming world than all three halo's combined.

my biggest problem with Halo is that my friends, who have never left a console in the realm of gaming, consistently claim that all of the "new" things it's done are amazing and revolutionary. Mean while, I've seen all them multiple times before.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 02:41 PM   #33
Zatoichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Shit guys, I've figured out the problem. This is what Valve obviously should have done:

tbh..that definitely wouldn't work, i spent the last hour or so wondering whats under that sexy mans suit...it would turn a nation of young, "straight", gamer boys into rampant flaming homosexuals...and as for the ones already gay, they'd just be puddles on the floor.
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
SmellyCat
Darknight

Am I the only one who actually doesn't/didn't give a crap what Gordon looked like?
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:38 PM   #35
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

For once uBer is cracking me up!

But seriously, wtf is up with Halo? It's like the biggest selling game these days... Are xbox owers that bored?
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #36
SmellyCat
Darknight

I guess - I played it (3) for the first time the other day and found it to be worse than i expected. And I was expecting painfully average...
SmellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #37
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Come on, guys, don't give Credge such a hard time. He's totally right. All the fucking FPS games these days are all in the first person, they all have guns, they might even all have mêlée, and they all include shooting things. I mean, when will the FPS genre get original? Jeez.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #38
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR

Pretty close.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 AM   #39
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
What about F.E.A.R., that was different!

I still don't get the whole story...(busy with Extraction point, holy hell Alma got pissed!)
amen and amen again. About the story, your character is the 1st born of alma, when she was ~14. Her father, who is also the father of Alice, the girl who gets killed in the end from the first F.E.A.R., is also the father of alma. When alma is artificially impregnated, she has you, the main character, but your psychic power is not very strong. In fact, the only psychic power you have is to sort of a super speed brain processing where from your point of view, it seems like time slows down, when really, you're mind is processing information faster, due to the psychic power you have. Also, you can spot dead people.

Alma's second son, fettel, is the guy you kill in the end, and is your brother, who is super psychic and therefore qualified to be part of a program where he was trained to psychically control mindless human super soldier clones. In the end, Alma's "energy" or "essence" is released due to her physical body being destroyed from the whole site exploding.

extraction point and persues mandate is kind of like place holders until the real sequel, "Project Origin" comes out, and therefore, the storyline for those 2 should be ignored relative the Project Origin.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 PM   #40
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Indeed, gaming does seem to be getting a bit repetitive-that's probably the reason the Wii's run away with this console generation. It actually offers a new way to play.

I really, REALLY wish gaming had another 32/64 bit era-in my opinion, that period (from around 94-99/2000) was one of, if not THE most innovative time in the history of the industry. Developers were just learning how to work with what was the new way to play at the time, which was 3d graphics, and as a result, came up with some very innovative stuff. After the stuff that sold big was discovered, the patterns began to become set as publishers followed suite in an effort to make more money, and as a result, the innovation began to slow around the beginning of the era of the PS2 etc. While the Wii is still a great new way to play games, it's just not as new as 3D was at the time, and while innovation with the Wii will still be high, I don't think it will even begin to match that of the 32/64 bit era.