Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2008, 11:39 PM   #41
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'm working on getting a personal server set up. Should be ready by this weekend, and I'm thinking of devoting it to the SoTF cause. Thoughts?

Old 03-18-2008, 12:15 AM   #42
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I'm working on getting a personal server set up. Should be ready by this weekend, and I'm thinking of devoting it to the SoTF cause. Thoughts?
I think that's awesome. I was thinking of renting one as well, a small one with maybe a 8-player slot just for training but I have to see if it wouldn't affect my personal finances too much. I'm still working on the site, the homepage is up but not functional. But eventually, if we did have a server, I was planning on setting up a schedule on it's use for each teacher-pupil pair. At the moment there's plenty of emptys but the problem with that is if the student needs more time or the session lasts for a little while, the possibility of someone else logging on and interrupting the session is pretty high (and it wouldn't be anyone's fault).

So yeah, server's a great idea. There will be a paypal button on the site but I don't know who will be in charge of that? At the moment if you'd be the only one hosting the server then we could just link it to your account for the time being until we find something that works. Good work.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 12:21 AM   #43
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
That'd be fine.

The server won't be costing me much. I'm planning on 16 player slots at the moment.

I figure we could give all SoTF members administrative privileges, allow them to lock the server temporarily if necessary, etc., as well as dealing with griefers.

Maybe we could have it locked for most of the day, letting SoTFers invite players to join, then open it up as a pub during the evening.

Alternately, we could just run the default rotation as skill maps. Then it has appeal to pubbers who want to try some out, and teachers can help newbs out on them as a training tool. Let the teachers change to proper maps for more specific strategies if necessary, etc.

We should focus on recruiting mappers. Get some newb-friendly skill maps made, etc.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:54 AM   #44
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
We could also have 'students' apply on the site under the category of their choice that they want to learn in?
Server will be awsome

Also
Updated my info on the first page
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #45
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Well, we can't use #sotf on GameSurge for IRCing, as it's taken up by a ... tournament organizer, it looks like. Quakenet is available though.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #46
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
perhaps just something like #stf? or schooltf?
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #47
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Try to keep everything on one server =\. #schoolTF ftw.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #48
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
yeah I was camping #sotf on qnet but my irc logged me off like 2 days ago and I forgot to jump back in there lol.

Gamesurge I think I found that #schooloftf was open but I can't remember for sure.

Also my concmap that I'm making I plan on calling conc_school and doing it mostly for SoTF. Once that one is done I can start mapping some other things people feel we could need.

Circ let me know if you need help with setting up the server. Also I still think getting a few servers sometime in the future will be cool...like 4 / 5 slot private servers that teachers / pupils can jump in and lock down and it would be a bit cheaper then a full server, but 16 seems fine for start up and will go a long way.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 PM   #49
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
#schoolTF ftw.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #50
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

#schoolTF registered on GameSurge.

I can handle the server setup (done a thousand of them in the past), but I appreciate the offer.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:08 PM   #51
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

I like it!

I would like to see the white be something more interesting like an off color of the side, and the SOTF (I know you know ) but the server tracker is a great touch and I really like the mission statement in the center now! Although I would change the text to be something a bit more crisp...it seems squished in there right now.

Still haven't done anything on my end...sorry I'll play with it when I get a few min I promise!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #52
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Okay I'm confused, who the fuck are you responding to?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:51 PM   #53
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Haha, Satan replied in wrong thread
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #54
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

You guys still looking for teachers?
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #55
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Always.

Old 03-19-2008, 06:16 PM   #56
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I'll volunteer. I've got nothing better to do.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #57
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Okay I'm confused, who the fuck are you responding to?
cow...he knows what I'm talking about it's just easier to post here then try to catch him on steam...don't worry about it lol!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 PM   #58
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
I like it!

I would like to see the white be something more interesting like an off color of the side, and the SOTF (I know you know ) but the server tracker is a great touch and I really like the mission statement in the center now! Although I would change the text to be something a bit more crisp...it seems squished in there right now.

Still haven't done anything on my end...sorry I'll play with it when I get a few min I promise!
Hmm, you mean the content's background color? Yeah it's not really white but I know what you mean, something more subtle. As for the intro text yeah, it does look plain along with the Site Map on the side. I'll figure something out for them eventually. Don't worry about your end, it can be added at any time so take your time. The server I plan on having it on SoTF's server obviously, just set on a different server now for the time being. But other than those two things, I think that's it for now and can start on the other pages.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2008, 10:10 PM   #59
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownaetion
Hmm, you mean the content's background color? Yeah it's not really white but I know what you mean, something more subtle. As for the intro text yeah, it does look plain along with the Site Map on the side. I'll figure something out for them eventually. Don't worry about your end, it can be added at any time so take your time. The server I plan on having it on SoTF's server obviously, just set on a different server now for the time being. But other than those two things, I think that's it for now and can start on the other pages.
yeah I know it's not white, but something more subtle that will blend better with the rest of the site would be really nice. But not too strong to overpower the image in the background cause I really like that...adds nostalgia!

Yeah the text it's really plain, but it also seems to run together too much or something. Maybe get something like you originally had, but just for that part to make it really stand out from the rest. And then yeah, something more distinct for the Site map...maybe just outline the black with like brown or some sort of an off color that blends with the back color to make it just pop out a bit.

Yeah obvious about the server, but I like that idea and you did pick a good server lol!

and yeah...after that I think it will be perfect.

I have some ideas for the other pages, but maybe we can get on IM or something and go over it later...idk, that or this way it seems to be working out quite well cept for confusing the hell out of everyone else lol which I can't really decide on weather that's a good thing or a bad thing
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-19-2008, 10:54 PM   #60
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Name: Vicious

Experience: [ESAD] Defensive Captain, [ESAD] Clan Leader, {NFO} engineer, [sYn] Clan Leader. Been around way too long. Defense, mostly.

Contact me: pm me for email

Schedule: Almost any day (other than league days)

Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote