Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
shotgun ideas. (and alittle bonus.)

well it may be more than a few ideas i had but i wanted to see what people thought of them so i figured what better place to post ideas/changes that i think would make the game better than on the ff forums.

okay well we have to start somewhere so im gonna start with the less controversial ideas and move to the more controversial ideas.

the super shotgun/shotgun morph- well i when i learned that the SSG is only 2 regular shotgun blasts. (i pretty sure i remember hearing that.) well i also found that in the controls there is a secondary weapon attack that no one uses. so i put 2 and 2 together and came up with this.

if the class has access to the SSG he no longer has to switch to the shotgun, (and would hence be removed from that class.) he simply presses his secondary fire button to fire a single shot (for use at long range.), instead of having to switch to the regular shotgun to fire down range which most people don't know about or even use in the first place.
(note* classes that have only regular shotgun wouldn't change.)

and on a completely random note its KubeDawg!!!
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 07-08-2011 at 05:19 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Is the shotgun spread random? Making that regular is all I care about : D
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #3
angrypyro
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Is the normal shotgun even ever used by anybody?
angrypyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
Is the normal shotgun even ever used by anybody?
It's useful if you've exhausted the magazines of your more damaging weapons, and you don't have time to reload. It's also not too bad for picking off targets from a distance, due to its tighter pellet spread than the super shotty.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Ronzui

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
The NG should have some sort of special SSG fire rate or something, why the OP spy has 3 grens and a SSG is a mystery to me, seems TFC traditions hold true for some classes but not others.
A double firing rail gun would be awesome for defending, maybe just a second more overcharge with two shots instead of one? lame? perhaps...O by the way when u are defending with a rail gun thats all u can hear its clouds and blocks all other gameplay sounds and is highly annoying, how bout a more subtle sound like George Jetsons space car ramping up or something besides the horrible headache medicine like we have now, just a thought havent been able to update yet, on the boat shit, AT@T 5 gig cap sux ballz...
Ronzui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
angrypyro
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by episkopos View Post
It's useful if you've exhausted the magazines of your more damaging weapons, and you don't have time to reload. It's also not too bad for picking off targets from a distance, due to its tighter pellet spread than the super shotty.
Wouldn't it be better to just reload and use the other weapons since the shotgun is so weak anyways and all weapons reload pretty fast. plus the nailgun that every class has seems to be stronger.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to just reload and use the other weapons since the shotgun is so weak anyways and all weapons reload pretty fast. plus the nailgun that every class has seems to be stronger.
Well the point is that you don't have time to reload in some situations. You won't be able to reload if you're chasing down a scout who's concing away with your flag.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #8
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Buckshot pretty much summed it up for me. I'd take 2 different weapons any day over 1 weapon with 2 fire modes.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #9
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
Using attack2 would mean we'd need to find another button for it and would mean we'd probably have to consider attack two for all other weapons - something I'm not convinced is a good idea.

The second shotgun with it's narrower spread is very useful at a distance, I sometimes use it when HW on destroy to pick at people as they come in before swtiching to the AC. It's more powerful than one might think, just the reduced spread makes it somewhat harder to get good shots off when you take lag/hitboxes into account.

Also as episkopos said, soldier being able to swtich to the secondary shotgun has proved useful many times once you run out of all ammo. You often don't get time to reload when it means someone is getting out of your base with the flag.

No idea what Ronzui is on about with the spy at all. The spy has only had 2 frag grenades since 2.41 and if you had the hallucination grens in 2.41 then thats because the server owners changed the official files to keep them in. Something I think we've now stopped?

TFC traditions will only stand in places that we feel work. We're reworking aspects of all classes - spy and demo may have the next more significant changes (like HW did this time). For one example we hope to be giving the spy back a secondary gren in the next big patch.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
Using attack2 would mean we'd need to find another button for it and would mean we'd probably have to consider attack two for all other weapons - something I'm not convinced is a good idea.

The second shotgun with it's narrower spread is very useful at a distance, I sometimes use it when HW on destroy to pick at people as they come in before swtiching to the AC. It's more powerful than one might think, just the reduced spread makes it somewhat harder to get good shots off when you take lag/hitboxes into account.

Also as episkopos said, soldier being able to swtich to the secondary shotgun has proved useful many times once you run out of all ammo. You often don't get time to reload when it means someone is getting out of your base with the flag.

No idea what Ronzui is on about with the spy at all. The spy has only had 2 frag grenades since 2.41 and if you had the hallucination grens in 2.41 then thats because the server owners changed the official files to keep them in. Something I think we've now stopped?

TFC traditions will only stand in places that we feel work. We're reworking aspects of all classes - spy and demo may have the next more significant changes (like HW did this time). For one example we hope to be giving the spy back a secondary gren in the next big patch.
i think all of you took a BIG swing and a miss at my shotty post so i hope this will clarify it. it doesn't change anything damage wise the secondary shot will literrally be the single shotguns exact shot just like having one but i don't have to switch to a 3rd weapon to use it.

the current shotgun secondary fire makes it switch weapons and on your current button config mouse 2 is the standard seocondary attack. to my knowledge its per weapon.

elmo you got the closets you got a piece of it. you win the worlds most painful pun.

Last edited by WiFiDi; 07-08-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #11
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
lol @ the image.

And oh - yeah - I derped that I forgot attack2 in that sense. My bad. Yeah that was dumb. I dunno what I was thinking to get completely off there.

Anyway we're much more likely to reserve attack two for something more errm... "special" like the HW overpressure. I'm sure we'll find something good for the solly. A few things have been suggested in the past but not really talked about for very long.

Plus I do like having the two separate shotguns.
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 07-08-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
There's no secondary fire per weapon at this time. The sniper has a zoom that just works with the sniper rifle, but most classes just have a menu or a weapon switch. The soldier just has a weapon switch, so you could take that away and give him something else. A demoman needs that button to det pipes.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #13
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
There's no secondary fire per weapon at this time. The sniper has a zoom that just works with the sniper rifle, but most classes just have a menu or a weapon switch. The soldier just has a weapon switch, so you could take that away and give him something else. A demoman needs that button to det pipes.
okay so it probably won't work well okay fine with that if you ever find yourself going down the path of making individual secondary attacks for each weapon slot keep this idea in mind. otherwise i didn't actually think it make it this far as no one seemed to understand my idea in the first place

Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
angrypyro
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
well it wouldn't work for the demo anyways because he doesn't have a super shotgun but for medics attack 2 is needed to throw med packs, the heavy to use the overpressure, the spy to cloak/disguise and the engineer to build/det/dismantle

Old 07-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Quote:
In Fortress Forever combat usually resolves within less than 7 seconds. An extra second spent reloading can easily make the difference between life and death.

Which is why this idea would make the single shotgun less useful, as it would share a magazine with the super shotgun. It would deny many classes their "backup backup weapon".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
the current shotgun secondary fire makes it switch weapons and on your current button config mouse 2 is the standard seocondary attack. to my knowledge its per weapon.
No, it's not per weapon. Secondary fire is per class. See my abilities table.

What you're talking about is unique to the soldier now, and before 2.42 it was unique to the soldier and HWguy (better update that).

Last edited by episkopos; 07-09-2011 at 09:25 AM.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2011, 04:26 PM   #16
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Single shotty > super shotty at, I'd wager, about 2000 range or so. Anything less and the super is better, but at the 1500-200 range they're equal enough in damage dealt, and the single shoots faster and reloads faster. It's actually really good.

Leave it as it is.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote