Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Tech

Old 05-22-2008, 11:51 PM   #1
fireb0rn

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Will this buy a good buy?

I've been looking at my options for buying a new computer. I recently found this through fatwallet:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...d=2405#oem_cpu

(the prices on the components seem f'd up, but here's the american version to compare)

Anyways, it seems like a pretty good deal. I'm liking it because it doesn't have any unnecessary crap that would add on to the price that I've found in other systems (I.e., Vista). I can get 3% off via fatwallet and the shipping is free. Of course I've gotta deal with mail in rebates but whatever. It comes to ~$442cdn after taxes. I'm guessing the cooler shouldn't cost more than $30 on top of that, but I dunno.

There are some downsides: I'll have to buy a cooler (I wanted an aftermarket cooler anyways, since I might do some minor o/c'ing with the Q6600). Most of the downsides are with the mobo, though: doesn't support SLI, doesn't support DDR3, I think. The SLI thing I don't think I mind, but the lack of ddr3 support might be a problem in the coming years. Hard drive is a bit small, too, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

Now, time for some probably stupid questions:

For the video card I'm looking at some kind of GeForce 8800 GT probably. I'm not quite sure how compatibility works with the video card though. What do I need to look for to determine its compatibility? Does it need to be EVGA like the mobo is? Also, the mobo doesn't seem to support ddr3 memory, but is a ddr3 videocard fine?

Do I have everything I need? I've never actually built a computer before, though I dunno if you can even call this "building" a computer since I'm probably going to buy that bare bones system. As for recyclables, I've got a decent sony dual layer dvd burner / cd rom that's relatively new, but could probably still be upgraded in the future. I have a 300gb seagate HD that's something like ~5000rpm, but I doubt I'll install it since it's kinda old and will probably just suck up power. I've got a good keyboard, a decent mouse and a good USB headset. My monitor is 17", non-flat screen and probably 2 years old. I don't think I'll be able to afford a new monitor right away, but that's something I think I'll upgrade later after I get a new tower. Should be good enough to keep around for a little while, though. I also bought a new fan that's mounted on the side of the case recently (I think it's ~2.5"), though it was relatively cheap. And I have everything else that a computer that's about 7 years old and semi-functional should have.

For the internet I use a home network, my computer is connected to a HUB that's connected to the modem. So I'm guessing I'll need an ethernet card. I don't know too much about them, though. I have one in the computer I'm running now but I doubt it's recyclable since I haven't done anything with it since I bought it a long time ago.

What about fans? The case seems to support two 120mm fans. Does it really matter what I get or can I just pickup some generic 120mm fans? It looks like I'll need some sort of cooler for the cpu, too. I don't plan on doing major o/c'ing, but it would be nice to maybe do a bit. What's the cheapest I can get a good cpu cooler for? I've looked at stuff like Thermalright's Ultima 90 which looks great but is out of my price range.

If anyone has any general sort of suggestions, too, feel free to add. I'm looking at spending less than $700 and I think I can manage that if I get a decent deal on a video card. It's about $450 for the comp + ~$180 for video card = 630 + fans + cpu cooler and possibly an ethernet card will probably be just above $700. Unless I'm missing something, which is very possible.

Anyways, thanks in advance for any help.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
All I can say right now is don't worry about DDR 3. It's not coming out anytime soon.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 01:57 AM   #3
Zatoichi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
All I can say right now is don't worry about DDR 3. It's not coming out anytime soon.
tell newegg that. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...n=ddr3&x=0&y=0
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 02:06 AM   #4
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Hm from what I read on /. the distribution of DDR3 was really fucked. I'm personally wary about that sale.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 AM   #5
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
There is another thread here about DDR2 / DDR3 ( http://www.fortress-forever.com/foru...ad.php?t=15940 ) that references an article on Hardware Central ( http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardw...le.php/3746066 ) which pretty much discusses the current state of DDR2/DDR3.

For a budget system, you are not likely to find DDR3 because it's more expensive than DDR2. Prices are dropping for DDR3, but they are still not in the DDR2 range.

Now to answer the original question (my opinion only):

- System looks like a good buy for what you would get.

- SLI, while it does give you slightly better performance, is unnecessary. Get the best single video card you can afford (the 8800GT is in that sweet spot of performance per dollar). You may also want to look at the 8800 GTS or even the ATI 3870 if you are so inclined. The brand is immaterial... you do not have to match them. I'd look for price and warranty as criteria, and read some reviews on the various brand names.

- It's got a Gigabit network connection on the motherboard. You won't need another network card.

- Your DVD burner may or may not work with the mobo. I'm guessing it's IDE (but I could be wrong here). Innoc has mentioned that there are issues with IDE drives working on newer mobo's. Perhaps he can fill you in on that.

- The case supports 2 120mm fans. Get something quiet. It's air flow and not speed that is important. Having jet engines running continuously will be annoying after a time.

- For a CPU cooler, get one of the brand names: Zalman, Artic Cooling, Thermaltake, etc. You should be able to pick up a decent one for $30 - $50. However, be aware that overclocking can sometimes require a bit more. Don't forget to buy some Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, too (about $5 US)

Nothing much else to get. It has a decent 250GB HDD (and you can add another later). 2GB memory, etc.

Go for it and enjoy your first build!
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
fireb0rn

thanks a lot!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
Zatoichi

Quote:
Hm from what I read on /. the distribution of DDR3 was really fucked. I'm personally wary about that sale.
why? do you think the top online computer parts retailer is going to take your money and run?
Zatoichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
fireb0rn I would look at places like...

http://www.ncix.com
I've ordered from them before. MUCH better shipping prices then tigerdirect.

http://directcanada.com
I haven't used them yet, but they have some nice prices for stuff and shipping costs look good. I have talked to others who have bought from there.

It would be nice if newegg.com actually shipped to Canada as they have had some nice prices at times, but then you have would still have to deal with boarder costs.

Anyway it doesn't hurt to look around at a few places first and compare right.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
- Your DVD burner may or may not work with the mobo. I'm guessing it's IDE (but I could be wrong here). Innoc has mentioned that there are issues with IDE drives working on newer mobo's. Perhaps he can fill you in on that.
From another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Apparently this has been a known issue for some time on newer boards using a Jmicron or Marvell controllers for the IDE port. ATAPI operations are problematic to be sure. Google "P35 atapi problem" if you're interested. You can follow the path from there.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
fireb0rn

alright, so I decided to just get it all from tigerdirect. the shipping was free since I bought the barebones kit.

Quote:
Thermaltake Smart Case Fan Blue LED 12 CM qty: 2

Masscool Intel Socket 775 Copper Core CPU Fan

ZEROTHERM ZT-100 Thermal Grease AA Grade

EVGA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI

EVGA nForce 650i Ultra Socket 775 Motherboard

Intel Quad Core Kentsfield 2.4Ghz Q6600 CPU

OCZ Platinum Rev 2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz (2x10

Seagate 250GB Serial ATA w/NCQ 7200/8MB/SATA-3G

BFG 650w Power Supply

Ultra XBlaster Mid-Tower Case Black
I ended up skimping on the cpu fan because they had a terrible selection and required you to buy one for the 30day warranty on the cpu. I might get an arctic freezer pro 7 later as I've heard that's a good one for the q6600. the deal on the video card was decent, $180 after $10 MIR and some free game that I probably won't even play.

this is what it came out to:
Net Product: $750.94
Sales Tax: $90.12
P & H: $0.00
Total Shipment: $841.06

of course there's -$100 after the rebates so it turns out to be $741.06... not bad. I'll let you guys know when I get it. thanks again!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #11
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
EDIT: I just ordered this. Went with faster ram since the mobo can support it, and a cheaper power supply (same brand)

1 COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119068
$49.99

1 Nippon Labs 3 ft. HDMI TO DVI Gold-plated Cable Model DVI 1 HDMI
$5.99 (it came free with the heatsink, why not?)

1 GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
$89.99

1 ASUS EN8800GT/G/HTDP/512M GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
$164.99

1 COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power RP-550-PCAR 550W ATX from factor 12V V2.01 Power Supply
$59.99

1 Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
$131.99

1 GeIL Ultra 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$53.99

1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$59.99

1 Arctic Silver AA-1.75G Thermal Compound
$3.99

1 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
$26.99

DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #100285 -$20.00 (case+PSU)
DISCOUNT FOR COMBO #103054 -$5.99 (cooler+some cable I don't need)
Subtotal $621.91
Tax $0.00
UPS 3 Days $20.64
Order Total $642.55

And I'm looking at $40 in rebates, from the ram and the video card. I hate mail-in rebates so I tried to minimize those.

Last edited by Crazycarl; 05-30-2008 at 04:53 PM.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #12
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0rn
this is what it came out to:
Net Product: $750.94
Sales Tax: $90.12
P & H: $0.00
Total Shipment: $841.06

of course there's -$100 after the rebates so it turns out to be $741.06... not bad. I'll let you guys know when I get it. thanks again!
GL on the rebates, I hear their rebate programs suck monkey nuts, so just, GL on that. Anywho, are you in canada or the US? If in the US, I'd go for this Zalman CPU fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118019
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler
On sale for $54.99.

I bought the 9500 cause I'm cheap, but Zalman's are always a good buy.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
fireb0rn

canada. not being able to buy from newegg is a pissoff.

I've only heard good things about the evga rebates though. the power supply is a BFG rebate but I should be fine if it doesn't go through, only $10.

Old 06-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #14
fireb0rn

so yeah, the bfg 650 watt psu isn't even compatible with the nforce 650i motherboard. so I got fucked. now I'm going to have to wait for it to return and buy another psu. lame

Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0rn
so yeah, the bfg 650 watt psu isn't even compatible with the nforce 650i motherboard. so I got fucked. now I'm going to have to wait for it to return and buy another psu. lame
what was the problem? Not ATX 2.x compliant?

Old 06-07-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Read the reviews at the bottom. Looks like it has more issues than that.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
fireb0rn

yeah, there's a thread on the evga forum about it too. It's got all the connections and whatnot, just doesn't want to power up.

right now I'm just using my old psu (it's a MAX 500 watt). I bought it only in August 07 and it's fine, though I have to get a Y splitter for the 4 pin adapters as I need another for the second case fan. so far it's working well, though the IDE hookup to the motherboard for my dvd burner is kind of loose for some reason. it's compatible though.

I'm kind of disappointed that I wasn't given a manual with the mobo though. all there is is some quick install guide that's about a page large. some of the info on it is just plain wrong (the header plugin locations for the case, for example) and in other parts there isn't nearly enough information given. at least I could get the manual online, but seriously.

ah well, I'm gunna phone up tigerdirect and see what they can do for me. the PSU I'm using right now is pretty cheap so I don't really wanna keep it in my computer for too long. but I'm glad it's up and working anyways. hopefully will be playing FF on it soon.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #18
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

FWIW, if you're still seeking a power supply Antec Trupower and Earthwatts has ALWAYS done well for my designs. When you're building for public safety you can't screw around with something of which you're not sure.