Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
How to save FF (an attempt)

Many may say this game is dead - also a lot of folks said the same about TFC 6 years ago and you still can find full servers in 2011 (!). they ain't dead till they are dead.

My suggestions to bring back a bit more life into FF:

• Dev team seems to be untermanned. there are several people without the required coding/maping etc skills out there, but still willing to do other stuff as in writing journals/blogs etc or just plain office work. may they can help the dev team a wee bit? would be helpful if the dev team could tell us what exactly is needed.
  • hopefully with an improved team finally finish 2.42 and/or 2.5 before summer.
  • I still believe a FF blog would be helpful. the community is split into several little pieces (forum/pub servers/pickup), that's why a source of news has to be concentrated on one gathering point. a way to reach them all, no matter if they play once a week or 24/7. either this board (although some stuff on here could actually scare new peeps off) or a FF blog (kinda like the TF2 one). promote the blog on the servers and if possible set up a direct link from the FF game menu.
  • Try to contact Robin Walker, John Cook and Ian Caughley and ask them nicely to try out FF and about their opinions on it. they may have become stuck up and won't do it - but may be they will. their email adresses can be found on valve's website.
  • import achievements.
  • as soon as a new patch comes out, everyone on this board has to advertise FF. word-of-mouth recommendation! tell your real life friends, your family, your steam friends, game forums and especially your old TFC buddies and ex FF players. use facebook, twitter, steamgroups... set up groups, write comments etc. use the new technology. some people used it for revolutions!
  • Show some old TFC videos to your old TFC buddies, use their sentimental nerve. ask them if they wanna re-experience the good old days. ask them to play FF.
  • Advertise 2.5. make it out to be an extremely important patch. likea brand new gaming experience. everyone has to believe it's something new and they need to feel the urge to play it (again). if possible contact game magazines (that write stuff about mods). advertise, advertise... like above.
Just some ideas. may present some more later.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
nope, game's dead, same arguments, will never be considered
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 AM   #3
carryonplease

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
getting the word out seems to be the biggest issue. The gameplay is fine. I just think people don't know about it and are hesitant to become regulars because you cant always find a server to play on all hours of the day. thats where the catch 22 is...
carryonplease is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
In all honest I think the biggest problem is that it's most widely enjoyed by a small type of players. The largely successful games and mods are enjoyed by the widest demographic. FF is great, I love it myself. But I'm not everyone. I also don't play a lot of any games recently. Been sorta sucked down for time. (new job kinda sucks).

The personal stuff is irrelevant though. The things suggested would certainly work really well, but the biggest problem really is the Devs. These guys have personal lives just like the rest of us. I have trouble finding time to play video games, let a long finding the time to work on one. I don't usually like speaking for other people, but I would imagine that after these guys get done work they just want to watch tv and play video games like every other person. Giving them more devs, and more help would be a good idea, and the first task. But I think the devs are aware of this already.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 12:53 AM   #5
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
it's not very active at all, that's true. however we all seem to spend a lot of time on a dead game. Hope dies last.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:09 AM   #6
Bridget
Banned

It's denial. We all wish it weren't dead, but it is. Let's move on.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
If you truly believe that, why do you keep coming here?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
It's about that time again! flipflop
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 12:13 AM   #9
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
It's about that time again! flipflop
Spring fever.

@ Bridget

For a dead game we still spend an awfully big amount of time on here. I assume the active posters still haven't been able to move on.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
Majesty
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Hahahaha. You are an acquired taste, Bridget, but I think I might actually like you. Don't let it go to your head.

Last edited by Majesty; 03-26-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: not enough balloons
Majesty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Bridget
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
If you truly believe that, why do you keep coming here?
Habit, Laughs, Boredom, etc

Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
KoRniLLiAn.LG
D&A Member

Class/Position: soldier O or D..doesn't matter
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: none..but hope to join one someday
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
Quote:
hmmm..thats sound like the same reason's why some person would want to do drugs...does that mean FF is bad for your health...HEY..if we tell people that.. it would be popular with all the kiddies.
KoRniLLiAn.LG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #13
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Quote:
He's kind of right though. If you have nothing really better to contribute then to remind us that the game is already dead, then why waste your time here?

I know that you've done a lot for FF in the background, but really you've contributed jack shit since you first stated "The game is dead." You gave up on it, and you continue to remind us about how much of a failure *YOU* think its' become. Honestly, people have fun all the time playing in O-T so then there must be something that they are doing right, to keep this game going. People still have a great time playing the game. I know that in that server you'll find maybe 4 members of O-T playing about the same time, and more come around to play with or replace other members. But still 4 members. Thats out of 20+ players every day in JUST that server. I don't think the game is the failure. It's suddenly come to my belief that the public servers that went inactive are to blame for the FF's slim player base/ 'dead' game.

If Talos was still up and running with active members, you don't think that people wouldn't start coming back? Think on it man. Activity starts with the clan members. That's the boost to public servers. You have them go inactive and people stop showing up.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM   #14
Bridget
Banned

Oh look, a post I'm not going to read, because I ain't even care about your opinion, broz.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #15
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Hi Bri :3
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #16
Bridget
Banned

FF is dead. Deal with it. Devs killed this game. They gonna rape you with emotional appeals, and threaten you with admin abuse to keep you from speaking the truth, but the truth is the truth no matter how deep you bury it. Deal with it, FF community. You dun goof'd, and let the devs centrally-plan you in the ass for years. Love the game, but hate the devs, that's what I say. Squeek and the gang complaining 'bout this "real life" shit and about how it leaves the devs no time to work on the game when I used to see them playing hour-long pickups.

Complainin' about not enough time to develop the game, despite the fact that 2.42 has been done for like four months now (they just haven't got around to RCs yet apparently) and the fact that they'll take a good ol' chunk of their time to issue infractions or write long-winded posts about how devvin' the game is so hard (despite their admittance that all they'd have to do is up some variables on the SG to tie people over, something they should have done like four years ago).

There's no hope. Give up your delusion. Stop being in denial. Do like I'm doing, channel all this care into improving real life productivity. Strive, in other words, to not be Fortress Forever dev. Make that yo life goal. Write it down on yo forehead. I know you gon' be mad 'cause I'm speaking straight truth, but what can I say? Those who are wrong gon' get mad 'n' defensive. Those who are insecure gonna mash that admin button until their ego is inflated with nothing of any real value to account for it. It's no thing. As Linus says, that's why I'm the boss; I simply know better than you. D'aww what?

"PROMITTIMUS AT NON TRADIMUS" - FF Dev motto
User received an infraction for this post

Old 03-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
Bridget
Banned

p.s. hi Ne lemme s yo d

Old 03-27-2011, 01:49 AM   #18
eomoyaff
The Crowbar Commander
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Anything.
Gametype: CTF/CP (AvD needs fixing)
Posts Rated Helpful 28 Times
Really toned it down there Bri-dogg. Way to parrot your way back into the thread once again, to prove absolutely nothing. I applaud you for your nonsense.

Also what I speak above is still true. It's arguably agreeable.
eomoyaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 AM   #19
Bridget
Banned

Nah, you're wrong.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
Billy2600

Class/Position: Soldier D
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Getting opinions from Valve might not be a bad idea, just sayin'.
Billy2600 is offline   Reply With Quote