Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server Administration

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
groovyf
In the clouds

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
That was my point too. I couldn't care less how SME runs his servers, but the plain fact is, bunnyhop in FF isn't a cheat nor an exploit.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #22
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
That was my point too. I couldn't care less how SME runs his servers, but the plain fact is, bunnyhop in FF isn't a cheat nor an exploit.
To you, it isn't. To me, it is. You don't get to decide for me. Get it?

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #23
Etzell
D&A Member

Define an exploit, please.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #24
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I don't even see the reason behind blocking bhop now. Its not as if it gives a massive advantage and you can still trimp just fine off ramps if only to a certain point. This seems to be a holdover from TFC anti-bhop. But meh, whatever. If no one plays there, then no one can complain.

You are a pirate!

Old 10-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #25
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SME
To you, it isn't. To me, it is. You don't get to decide for me. Get it?
Way to miss the point.

An exploit is something being manipulated in the game engine that wasn't supposed to be there... this would be TFC, and I'm not going to argue there as that's been done to death.

But this is FF now, where it is part of the engine, part of the game, therefore there's nothing to exploit.
Irrespective of whether you think it is an exploit, by the very definition of exploit it clearly isn't one.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:50 PM   #26
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I don't even see the reason behind blocking bhop now. Its not as if it gives a massive advantage and you can still trimp just fine off ramps if only to a certain point.
It's not that it gives a "massive" advantage, it's that it gives "any" advantage, at all, imo. It has nothing to do with TFC, other than it may have been discovered there. I don't allow it in ANY of my servers, even non-fortress servers.

Hope that helps.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
groovyf
In the clouds

I can clearly see you want players on your server to fight each on on an even playing field, which I have no beef with.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #28
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
You honestly can't call what's in FF bhopping anyways. It doesn't even work the same. There's no vast difference in speed between someone running forward and jumping forward. Don't believe me? Take two meds side by side and race them, your so called bhopping med will win by like 10 feet maybe

Even the way it's designed now, the only thing it really lets you do is keep the speed you have gotten from some external force propelling for a few more hops, then you slow right down to normal speed.

I don't miss bhopping from tfc, personally this method they've made is far more fair, as anyone can do it by releasing and simpley holding the space bar before you've made contact with the ground. Seriously a monkey can figure it out (a dumb retarded monkey).

These servers I've played on with it, haven't hindered my speed one bit, since it takes 7 jumps to kick in, I figure 5-6 jumps is about the time it takes me to slow down to normal speed anyways.

So what is the application stopping then since it's redundant to stop a non existent bhop? It hinders double jumps off inclines to 2nd levels, a new feature built into the game (unless you consider this an exploit). It also takes away any agility/dodging/juking manuevers you might want to do.

Neither side really makes a lot of sense in this arguement.

a) the people who claim bhopping is part of the game and should be left unhindered
b) the people who still think it's a cheat

Because the way the FF dev team made this thing you can't really call it bhopping at all. It is its own unique method.

But I guess if you really want to hinder double jumps, and jump+duck movements then this application is definately doing its job.

Cheers,
Hammock

Old 10-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #29
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovyf
An exploit is something being manipulated in the game engine that wasn't supposed to be there... this would be TFC, and I'm not going to argue there as that's been done to death.

But this is FF now, where it is part of the engine, part of the game, therefore there's nothing to exploit.
Irrespective of whether you think it is an exploit, by the very definition of exploit it clearly isn't one.
I don't care if it's intentionally included or not, the effect is the same, it's a speed cheat. You can say it's a speed cheat that the devs wanted in the game but the fact remains the same, it gives an advantage and I don't allow it on any of my servers.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #30
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
I would block shotguns if I had the funds to run a server.

Bunny hop and movement is the blood and sole of TF game play..WTF are you doing.?! :O...

You refuse to play FF how it's meant to be played. And attempt to Nerf it because you suck, sad.

PS that isn't elitist talk nor do I think I am, I'm just saying it like it is.

Last edited by Paft; 10-05-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #31
Player
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
SME, you are absolutely ridiculous...

Old 10-05-2007, 10:07 PM   #32
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
SME, you are absolutely ridiculous...
You are absolutely ignored.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:21 PM   #33
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriaD
{NFO}*{NFO-FORTRESS}*{NFO}www.nfo-clan.com
8.2.122.202:27015
I have noticed this as well on the server. Being a member, I'm rather confused about it. During practice it wasn't in place, but otherwise it's on.

I'll talk to the server guys.

EDIT: SME, could you explain how it's a speed cheat when it is part of the games mechanics? Would a class only ability, such as sprint, in games like WoW be considered a speed cheat because not everyone gets it?

Last edited by Credge; 10-05-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #34
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
He believes that because it gives an advantage, it's a cheat/exploit.

May as well ban conca jumping. SME is an awkward fellow to put it simply. Anyone who disagrees with him goes on ignore. Anyone who makes a remotely possibly offensive comment that may offend the most sensitive person in the world is put on his ignore. Quite the sheltered "Everyone is the same" life imo...

First infraction! Flaming!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:48 PM   #35
[AE] 5316 *TKZ*
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Medic - O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater Clan
Send a message via ICQ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via AIM to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via MSN to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Yahoo to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Skype™ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
I don't see why my clans server is posted on there. I bunny hop around it all day and don't ever notice anything stopping my movement. I'll talk to our chief server administrator and have it looked into.

In the mean time, I would appreciate that our server is removed from the post above. It is never our intention to fragment the community, and AE fully supports the bunnyhop built into FF.
==================================================

Old 10-05-2007, 11:10 PM   #36
CrazyCro
OLD-DEVILS

Class/Position: D
Gametype: FPS
Affiliations: OLD-DEVILS
Until today I was unaware of this issue on my server. We at NFO also support the bhop built into the FF engine. It was an unintentional block built into Detox. As of this post it has been disabled to fully allow all functionality within the game. Thanks to {NFO}Credge for bringing it to our attention.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #37
TriaD

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
I don't see why my clans server is posted on there. I bunny hop around it all day and don't ever notice anything stopping my movement. I'll talk to our chief server administrator and have it looked into.

In the mean time, I would appreciate that our server is removed from the post above. It is never our intention to fragment the community, and AE fully supports the bunnyhop built into FF.

And it is not my intention to defame your server or make assumptions. I am simply stating the facts from servers I have experienced this on. I did test all these servers before I posted and all had the same problems after 7-8 jumps. The whole point of this thread was to gather information on why this was happening, and if your server owner cares to fix the problem.. then more power to them.

I will also not remove the servers listed, there is no shame admiting there was a problem and then taking the proper procedures to remedy said problem. I fully condone everyone play on these servers if they so like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {NFO}CrazyCro
Until today I was unaware of this issue on my server. We at NFO also support the bhop built into the FF engine. It was an unintentional block built into Detox. As of this post it has been disabled to fully allow all functionality within the game. Thanks to {NFO}Credge for bringing it to our attention.

I thank you as well for removing the anti-bhop. And im sorry you had to find out this information like you did. Now that everyone knows its the detox plugin all future incidence's can be handled in a more discrete manner.

Last edited by TriaD; 10-05-2007 at 11:19 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:30 PM   #38
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by [AE] 5316 *TKZ*

Yeah I was wondering about that, you guys are cool as space penguins.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:47 AM   #39
SME
Damn lazy bastard

See, I'm even willing to help those that want to bhop fix their servers. I just don't want it on *my* servers and that's all that counts.

Old 10-06-2007, 01:56 AM   #40
SGM Division ******
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Defensive
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: [SG-X] Clan - http://www.sg-x.info
Send a message via ICQ to 417
In response to this thread and our server being a target of it I have temporarily disabled the anti-cheat feature which is blocking the built in BH featured in FF.

We have already had multiple players using speed hacks in our server. Now our admins instead of being able to just play and let the plug-in regulate speed hackers our they will have to stop playing, go to into spectator mode, watch the player and then manually ban the player.

Hopefully Detox build a variable into the next update which will make it where speed hack cheats can be detected by FF's BH can still be allowed.

Closed Thread