Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-01-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
o_yohan1973

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
WIP: Tightwad

Well, I thought to myself that maybe I should post some screens of one of the levels I’m working on. So here I am doing just that! This one is a re-working of one I did for TFC classic about 2 years ago. It’s called “Tightwad.” Unlike many other mappers here, I have a very different approach to creating levels. I only make levels for 2v2 to 4v4 max. Tiny levels!
Why?
Well, We play TFC during our lunch breaks at work. Most games are 10 min per level, we might play 5-6 levels, and at any given time there are usually no more than 6 ammatures playing at a time. The most complicated thing we do is rocket jump! So my levels are designed with that in mind. This level is still a work-in-progress as you can see from my use of DEV textures. I’m trying to figure out a decent way around my current issue of not finding ideal textures to use. I figure it’s best to think of it as a design challenge rather than a hindrance.

o_yohan1973 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 08:26 PM   #2
o_fresh

im loving it, brilliant stuff. Keep it up mate your onto a winner.
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
Those shots look cool - 1st, 4th, 5th, 6th (in left to right horizontal order). I actually like the dev textures. Maybe the base outsides could be futuristic solid team colors... cause you know in the future everything is solid color. :P

I really like several of your "camera" angles for the shots - makes it look nestled into the cliff/rocks.

On a random note, I still don't see how people can make a map and not texture it as each brush is made. Weird.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
On a random note, I still don't see how people can make a map and not texture it as each brush is made. Weird.

I understand bro, If I were working on a level that was for say...DOD I would work with the intended textures. I'm doing this way since I know I can get away with it since I'm going "futuristic" with the theme. I'm some what using my imagination to guide my brush work. I'm sure that as far as texturing goes I'll be ussing pretty solid textures. So far I'm guessing I'll be using 4 textures for the floor, 4-5 for the walls (not including rocks and cliffs) and maybe another 4 for the ceiling. Since I have no team colors to work with really I'm planning on using recessed panels in the walls with a reveal and a team colored light behind the panel. If my wall colors are primarily nuetral then the recessed team colored lights should provide decent illimination to indicate the team color. Just a guess so far. My back-up plan is to just find a cheesy swath of "team" color ot put into all the recessed to give a hint of team color. I'm planning on changing up the rock-work to better intergrate it into my overall theme...or at least to create a theme. The base is settled into a rocky outcrop and I'm thinking I want is to start looking more like some lost northern wilderness in the back woods of Canada. I'll figure something out...

Old 08-01-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
o_ohcanep

Looks promising... so it's CTF but for 4-8 players?
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 10:20 PM   #6
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcanep
Looks promising... so it's CTF but for 4-8 players?
Yes sir. I know most of you guess frown upon tiny levels like these but that's all we play. I'm designing my levels to fill a void left by you guess who make these clan playable levels. Those larger levels don't play well with only 4 newbie players running around in them. lol My level will SUCK at clan play but it's just right for what we do durring our little lunch breaks.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:01 PM   #7
o_imbrifer

Bravo, Yohan - when I play, it's usually 4-6 people on a LAN with a horrible net connection (thus we can't have fun in online games). I'll be snatching up your map once you're finished, and I'll have a go at some smaller player-num maps once I've finished what I'm working on now.

Anyway, as for criticism: some of the rock textures look weird (for lack of a more precise term). At the bottom of the last shot, the part coming up out of the water against the orange structure looks like it has a texture that is way stretched. Beyond that, though, the map looks amazing :) I'll come by and harass you more once you get a texture theme going or post s'more shots.

Rock on.
o_imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 11:03 PM   #8
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Nah, 2v2s and up are pretty popular too.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 11:21 PM   #9
o_travis dane

I say, did VALVe add an insta-create-nifty-rocks feature in hammer since HL2? Just about every map I lay my eyes on has gorgeous rocks.
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i noticed that, id love to know how :(
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 AM   #11
o_bokko

Looking good even with those textures :>
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #12
o_geokill----->

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I like the way the base looks intagrated into the rocks, nicely done
o_geokill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #13
o_kam

Looking good~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Dane
I say, did VALVe add an insta-create-nifty-rocks feature in hammer since HL2? Just about every map I lay my eyes on has gorgeous rocks.
Combination of displacements ease of use and normal mapped textures make them look pretty darn cool.
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 02:35 AM   #14
o_deadly furby

I like the look. Mixing realistic textures with fantasy colors makes for an interesting look. I believe the concept of small maps is good. Way back in the early days you would find maps that were ideal for small groups of participants. Keep up the good work.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 06:51 AM   #15
o_drtom

when i do a bit of mapping i usually take the texture first then build the brush to fit the texture !

and this map looks nice as nice!
o_drtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
o_ohcanep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1973
I know most of you guess frown upon tiny levels like these but that's all we play.
Nah, it's good to have some smaller maps too, especially when you only have few friends ready for some midnight foolery (or for a lunch break gaming). :P As Jiggles mentioned 4v4 and alike matches are being played these days 'cause... you know why.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #17
o_donny

I like to play with big croup so this map isnt for me
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2005, 04:08 PM   #18
o_yohan1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbrifer
Anyway, as for criticism: some of the rock textures look weird (for lack of a more precise term). At the bottom of the last shot, the part coming up out of the water against the orange structure looks like it has a texture that is way stretched. Beyond that, though, the map looks amazing I'll come by and harass you more once you get a texture theme going or post s'more shots.
Rock on.
Yeah, I'm going to rework my cliffs because I've thought the same thing...they look alittle weird. I couldn't put my finger on it either and I built the dang thing. I think maybe they are too bubbly looking. You know, like Dragonball Z terrain(the cartoon)! lol I'm reworking those rocks that jut out of the water too because you are right....the texture IS stretched badly. That is what's left of my first attempt at working with displacements. lol