Old 03-06-2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Basic concing techniques everyone needs to know!

Ok guys I need to get a list of the most basic techniques every person should know when playing on a concmap...

Think if you had never played a concmap before and you jumped in one, what kind of jumps would be good to know?

What I have:
  • HH
  • drop conc
  • double conc (hh 2nd)
  • double conc (drop conc 2nd)
  • water concing
  • tripple conc
  • air control

What else?
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Last edited by Dr.Satan; 03-06-2008 at 11:31 PM.
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Air control is essential for many concmaps, and new players can't be expected to know or figure it out on their own.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #3
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
I pretty much never conced before, have tried it some ages ago but only short amounts of time. I'd like to jump in soon and start trying to build up skills to a decent level, nothing pro-like I'm after. So if I were to jump in to a conc map, the kind of jumps I'd be looking forward to doing would be the ones I encounter in league maps, the ones that I'd spend most of my time, hoping to achieve better skills that I can take and use on those maps.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 12:31 AM   #4
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
Air control is essential for many concmaps, and new players can't be expected to know or figure it out on their own.
Hopefully the training mode sorts this out. Air control is emphasized quite a bit.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 03-07-2008 at 12:39 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 01:04 AM   #5
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
fantastic!

Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
go squeek!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Another thing is to tell them that they're not REQUIRED to jump for the effect to happen, you'd be surprised how many people in TFC didn't realise you could just stand in front of the conc to have it push you around :S
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Lt Llama

Hold & release (like whats needed on j1 on ff_charybda)

+

SPECTATE

Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Player
D&A Member

Strafe jumping, air hand-held conc (more advanced version than that listed originally; not exactly basic, either), pre-primed conc (timing and placement; again, not a basic skill), juggling (vertical and horizontal; horizontal being the more challenging of the two)

Spectating helps; timing is essential and comes with practice--this applies to conc placement, too; asking questions / requesting help is also very helpful.

Experience with concmaps helps with ctf-based conc movement; it does not matter what type of jump; it builds your timing, your knowledge of what is and what is not possible with the amount of concs possible, conc placement and so on.

Playing conc maps is benefical to league-style play, people!
Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 PM   #10
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Great thank you guys! Keep it up please...

He's my idea...I'm going to post it in the mapping section once the map has made more progress, but I'm making a concmap that is just easy, not made for skill or anyone with any skill whatsoever, but made to be simple for a newb to join. I'm going to put a help button at every jump that can be pressed. When it's pressed I want it to read to the player how to do the basic technique being done there. Step by step through all of the basic techniques I can do. I've got about 10 or so jumps already done, but there aren't any textures in it yet and i'm not quite ready to show SS's.

I'll post a list of the jumps I have when I can get home and go over the map again!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
Doughnut-4|4-

I need a description of most these cause i learned ingame how to do 'em. I assume drop conc is unprimed, toss it, and jump on it? And air conc... is that where you jump off a ledge and drop it under you while you fall?

Theres what I like to call a crouching conc where you put a conc on the ground and while running past it, crouch right before it goes off so you get a nice low flying push.

What do you call a conc where you shove yourself into the floor with 2 health and manage to kill yourself from the force?
Doughnut-4|4- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #12
Handym
I got some bread, bitch

Send a message via MSN to Handym Send a message via Skype™ to Handym
I don't know but that one is definetly getting added to the "100 stupid ways to die" thread..
Handym is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM   #13
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughnut-4|4-
What do you call a conc where you shove yourself into the floor with 2 health and manage to kill yourself from the force?
crappy!

but yeah I'll go over what I'm using to define those.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-08-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Player
D&A Member

Drop conc

method 1 (Basic):
prime conc, jump off a ledge and drop it beneath you; the core of juggling, only performed mid-air.

Air hand-held conc

method 1 (a) (Basic): drop two concs with a short delay between the two. Now prime a third conc quickly and hold on to it. As the first conc is about to explode, jump. The second conc will explode shortly after, increasing your vertical / horizontal speed (depends how you angle yourself to the force of the conc); the third conc will then propel you even further. The third conc is the air hand-held conc.

Useful for passing long horizontal jumps, clearing large proportions of vertical jumps and so on. This method can also be reduced to two concs where a ledge is available, as explained below:

method 1 (b) (Basic): drop a conc off the ledge, prime and hold a second shortly after. Now drop down onto the first to receive its push force; the second conc will then explode enabling you to travel great distances.

method 2 (a) (Advanced): mid-juggle, prime a conc near the top of your height (as you are travelling upward), then shortly before you start to fall again, you need to throw the conc above you and very quickly prime another conc--hold this conc. If done right, you will now start to drop above your conc (your conc should start to drop before you begin your descent), and continue to drop above your conc (hopefully with a decent gap between the two of you for maximum push); when the time comes, the first conc will explode shortly followed by the second conc allowing you to reach great heights.

method 2 (b) (Advanced): this alternative is the opposite of (a) in that you do it as you drop, so to speak, and is used more for travelling large horizontal distances rather than vertical distances. Mid-juggle, you would prime and drop a conc forward / down (whatever works for you (forward is harder than straight down)) then prime and hold a second quickly after; you will now target your class so that it is near the first conc when it explodes, followed by the second for the hand-held conc.

Method 2 is a show-off skill, perhaps, but is required in some maps (TFC) where there are conc limitations (conc_arsemeh jump 2, for example; you are required to use two air hand-held concs to complete the jump...you can only complete the jump with air hand-held concs). There are other ways the advanced method can be applied, but I wont list them...you need to figure that out yourself :P

I hope that explains the differences in a coherent manner (I doubt it :P)

Old 03-08-2008, 06:21 PM   #15
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
Great thank you guys! Keep it up please...

He's my idea...I'm going to post it in the mapping section once the map has made more progress, but I'm making a concmap that is just easy, not made for skill or anyone with any skill whatsoever, but made to be simple for a newb to join. I'm going to put a help button at every jump that can be pressed. When it's pressed I want it to read to the player how to do the basic technique being done there. Step by step through all of the basic techniques I can do. I've got about 10 or so jumps already done, but there aren't any textures in it yet and i'm not quite ready to show SS's.

I'll post a list of the jumps I have when I can get home and go over the map again!
That's a great idea. How about also making an easy/hard side to each jump so you can give the choice to people who want to try the harder jumps.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #16
Player
D&A Member

Another alternative to that suggestion: make the jumps combinable.

How it works:

team 1 does each jump as a singular task
team 2 combines a number of jumps as a singular task (combine jump 1, 2 and 3, for example; you land at j2, you are sent back to j1)

Essentially you could have it set up as such:

team 1: single jumps (easy)
team 2: combine two jumps (intermediate)
team 3: combine four jumps (advanced)
team 4: combine six jumps (expert)

or

team 1: single jumps (easy)
team 2: combine a set number of jumps; jump 1, 2 and 3; jump 4 and 5; jump 6: 7 and 8; jump 9, 10, 11 and 12 for example. Look at tfc maps such as conc_groove2 / 3 for ideas (intermediate)
team 3: combine all jumps (advanced)
team 4: reverse; single jumps; collect ball and combine reverse jumps (easy / intermediate & advanced)

Make the map appeal to a broader range of players (new / experienced etc), that way you get multiple skill levels playing one map so experienced players can teach the new players and watch them progress onto harder combinations :P

Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #17
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg
That's a great idea. How about also making an easy/hard side to each jump so you can give the choice to people who want to try the harder jumps.
well I was thinking of making 2 maps...this one will be called conc_school and then making another one called conc_2cool4school or something but that's actually not a bad idea either.

I'm also tossing around the idea of making a teleporter room so you can go to whichever jump you want to try out instead of having to get thru the whole map, but idk I kinda was to keep it really basic and that could potentially confuse someone...

POST IS UP IN MAPPING SECTION.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Last edited by Dr.Satan; 03-08-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:53 PM   #18
Player
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Satan
I'm also tossing around the idea of making a teleporter room so you can go to whichever jump you want to try out instead of having to get thru the whole map, but idk I kinda was to keep it really basic and that could potentially confuse someone...
Wow, just wow...you really do know how to belittle your audience :S

From all my years playing on skill maps, not one person has ever been baffled by a teleporter room...

Old 03-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #19
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Wow, just wow...you really do know how to belittle your audience :S

From all my years playing on skill maps, not one person has ever been baffled by a teleporter room...
lol I know that's why I said I'm tossing around the idea...I don't know if it will confuse them, but I want this to be very easy to play...
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 03-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
A teleporter room for the easy map would be good. If your worried about someone not understanding what the hell their doing in a room full of teleporters, just make it clear in the game.txt, and use game_text in the game to display them messages as soon as they spawn or go near a teleport. I think that's as safe you can get with that but hey, you never know.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote