Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #61
Vicious
Nothing left to believe in

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I see no reason not to start the league before 2.0 and just upgrade part way through a season or whateva
Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #62
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious
I see no reason not to start the league before 2.0 and just upgrade part way through a season or whateva
That's the plan atm, just need another clan to sign up...would prefer like 3 more sign up but I can do it with 4 (currently have 3)
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:05 PM   #63
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Shock is loved by everyone on the beta team - he's one of the most genuinely nice and hardworking dudes I have ever known.

Except when he's playing as Sniper. Then he's a real fucker, always shooting you in the legs. )*:

But yeah, congrats Shock!
LEGGUMS. LEGGUMS, YOU BASTARD!
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #64
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
I'd also be willing to help throw some money in to pay for an official server.
same here, I would give out 10 or 20 a month to pay for the server
We Need PayPal ASAP

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM   #65
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000t

greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 10:14 PM   #66
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
If I knew how to code I'd offer my skills to you. But being as said skills don't exist I can offer... my charming personality?

You can always learn. Start with some free C++ tutorials online, that will give you a good foundation to start learning the Source SDK code.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2007, 11:02 PM   #67
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
[*] Patch 2.0 with all the changes synchronised with a big PR campaign, advertising on Steam.
This is the best news of it all.

Kinda the thing to get me motivated to work on another FF map. I might even go for a more standard theme now

ps: anyone know how to get in touch with UncleBruce ?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #68
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
In terms of official servers, I was actually thinking of working with a current server owner, and renaming it to an Official FF server (Courtesy of .. ).

This way we get a free server, and they get lots of traffic and free advertising on the site.

I'm thinking two things though, however. If we use an already empty server, then perhaps it will stay empty. If we use an already full one, we run the risk of changing things. I guess we can try some stuff and see what works. The key is to have an active admin group.

If anyone is interested in putting their server up for official status let me know. We'll probably start with just 1 or 2 (unpassworded pub server / funmaps / teaching newbies, passworded clanstyle server)
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 12:45 AM   #69
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Why not convert one of the beta testers who knows how to manage a server well into a FF dev, have him manage the servers, and collect donations which go only towards the servers? This saves you the problems from having to pay taxes and all that jazz. (And I am not suggesting myself; I would not have the time to do it, nor do I have the knowhow.)

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 02:19 AM   #70
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
You can always learn. Start with some free C++ tutorials online, that will give you a good foundation to start learning the Source SDK code.

Actually, the funny (embarrassing) thing is, my major in college was computer science with a software base. So according to my teacher, I already know C++. But then we're back to my amazing ability to bull shit. God only knows how the programs I wrote actually functioned. Cause I sure as shit have no idea.

Passed the course with a 90% average.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 03:26 AM   #71
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Let me tell ya from first hand experience, bullshitting your way throuh school just to get a certificate, does nothing for you if you NEED that kind of knowledge down the line. You get a job doing something you like, for example, then a project comes up and your higher-ups look at resumes to see who's most qualified, then your name comes up, but you just BSed in whatever class, taking all the shortcuts, and if you turn down the project, it means less faith your employer has in you, and possibly less money... I think applying myself is probably my biggest fault. The easy way isn't always the right way.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 AM   #72
Bakez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Actually, the funny (embarrassing) thing is, my major in college was computer science with a software base. So according to my teacher, I already know C++. But then we're back to my amazing ability to bull shit. God only knows how the programs I wrote actually functioned. Cause I sure as shit have no idea.

Passed the course with a 90% average.
lmao.. So many similarities I have there. I too have managed to pass the programming module (C++) of my degree but still I have no clue what the fuck I was actually doing. Although on the other hand I have another module that uses MATLAB an awful lot and I seem to understand that but I get worse marks in it...

As for the news:

The soldier combos stacking damage doesn't sound too great (Although did someone in this thread just randomly make it up as I didn't see anything about stacked damage from a dev? It sounds like WoW..)

Please can we also have admins for the servers who aren't retarded and just kickban people who get on their nerves. Moreover please none of the twats who I saw kicking people for going pyro on the first day . Actually, keep away anyone that was an op in #tf.gather for the last 2-3 years, I got banned from there once because I said I hadn't played in a clan match before.

It's good (and annoying) to see that some of the most talked about things, such as tutorials for new players will finally appear. I saw people asking on another forum about why they kept seeing other players teleporting across the map, otherwise known as concing.

Something still feels weird about this mod. It almost feels too empty, or as if there's nothing to hold onto. Its hard to explain, but if you play TFC, or TF2 it feels 'solid', whereas FF feels really weak and flimsy. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the sounds in the game - they just don't sound beefy enough. Also you can barely see the conc blur animation/effect.

Concs don't slide like they used to despite I'm sure I read that they would somewhere on the forums. Also when you're on a concmap or a ledge, it's incredibly difficult to stop yourself falling off, it feels like you're on ice (this has been mentioned before).

Another pressing issue I have with this mod is that I feel it has been guided badly from the beginning on the 'business' side. The release date, the state it was released in - while assuring the community for months and months before that all that was left was bugs and gameplay balancing, the omission of the most popular map - 2fort, the apparant overlooking of what was going to happen when they updated the mod - what the fuck does differing class tables mean to a lot of people? The list gets quite tedious if you think about it for a few minutes and it wasn't exactly breaking any laws of physics to forsee these things. Anyway hopefully AfterShok has his head screwed on in this department.

The steam advertisements sound great but all I can say is I hope Valve actually cooperate and the new changes don't magically screw the game up at the same time.
Bakez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 03:43 AM   #73
fireb0rn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterShock
[*] Increasing bunny hop cap back to 108%. Upwards trimping looked at.[*] Grenade throw speed slightly higher.
good to see all these changes. just wondering what the bunnyhop cap in FF was originally set to. I had thought it was somewhere in the region of 110% already.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 03:57 AM   #74
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0rn
good to see all these changes. just wondering what the bunnyhop cap in FF was originally set to. I had thought it was somewhere in the region of 110% already.
well it depends, from a TFC standpoint it's something completely different then from an FF standpoint...idk the stat's but I think in TFC terms it's like 110% currently but that really means something totally different in FF terms.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 04:07 AM   #75
Abjure
Follower of the Occult

It's been a while since I last visited, I like where you're taking the project, Aftershock.
Abjure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #76
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakez
....The soldier combos stacking damage doesn't sound too great (Although did someone in this thread just randomly make it up as I didn't see anything about stacked damage from a dev? It sounds like WoW..)...
NO... that was never said/implied. Right now the solly basically does not have a special ability. Think of this as being a quick weapon switch (rockets/shotty) on mouse2. While that is no big deal to us vets, it would be really handy for the newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireb0rn
The speed % in TFC does not relate directly to the same % in FF.

100% in FF actually plays about the same speed as TFC. This is due to the speed increases from skimming off jumps and down slopes. However, the bhops feel sluggish and frustrating.

108% in FF is great and it definitely plays faster than TFC. Combined with the speed increase from slopes and jump skims, it is a thing of beauty. We played this a lot before release. However, some devs decided to chop the speed just before release. It sucked then and it still sucks now. I can't wait to have 108% again.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #77
fireb0rn

I know, i was just wondering what the bunnyhop cap was so I could compare it to what it's being changed to. I'll have to try it out, i definitely thought it was higher than 100% before.
fireb0rn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 04:45 AM   #78
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Hopefully the 108% will allow that "gaining speed" feeling that was so great in TFC and so absent in FF.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 06:01 AM   #79
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
I can help with writing PR....if you dare :]

As soon as I iron out more personal matters, I can get back into playing regularly, and hope to get a league up.

Cheers on all of the hard work...past...present...and future. We all have a game we love.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 AM   #80
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peon

Cheers on all of the hard work...past...present...and future. We all have a game we love.
A-fucking-men

We had a douche join the AE server today, and he started saying that "QWTF is better than this, this game is a joke, blah blah blah. As you can guess, he got kicked.