Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
o_thepanther

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Just out of curiosity, if you...

..the design team wanted to have a scrim amongst youself. Is it possible at this stage? I'm talking rudementry scrim, like weapons actually work, you can hop around, conc, sgs, etc? From all I've read, seen on SS, video, etc, I'm guessing you are close? Do tell...
o_thepanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
o_puppychow

i think everything is there to do that except for weapon and player animations...lots of placeholder effects, but yeah they can (mostly)
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #3
o_frenchtoast

Let's say yes because then it makes it seem like the mod is closer to release.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
o_legacy

Little summary for you (From Mirv's post below - read his first)

Player Models
Quote:
- Sniper - Concept, Model, Skinned, In game
- Demo - Concept, Model, Skinned, In game
- Medic - Concept, Model, Skinned, In game
- Engineer - Concept, Model, Unskinned, In game
- Civilian - Concept, Model, Skinned, Not in
- Scout - Concept, Model, Unskinned, Not in
- Spy - Concept, Model, Skinning in progress, Not in
- Pyro - Concept, Model, Skinning in progress, Not in
- HW - Awaiting concept
- Soldier - Unknown
First person weapon models (Completed and Ingame)
Quote:
- Supershotgun
- RPG
- Super nailgun
- Crowbar
- Knife
- Wrench
- Pipe launcher
In progress
Quote:
- 3rd person weapon animations
- Ongoing bug fixing and tweaking
- CGI effects
- Sounds
- Extra Textures
- Props
- 3rd person weapon models
- Player animations

*edited to include stuff from Mirvs post!

Last edited by o_legacy; 03-22-2006 at 11:15 PM.
o_legacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 10:09 PM   #5
o_qui

*shudders at the mention of scrim*
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 PM   #6
mirvin_monkey
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
There's 3 player models ingame that I can remember (sniper, demo, medic) and the rest are meant to be coming in soon. The engineer model is ingame but unskinned. The scout model is invisible ingame and crashes HLMV if you try view it in there. So kinda difficult to tell how finished the model is meant to be then.

The rest are random placeholders in game. The civ I expect should be in sometime soon, and the spy and pyro are currently having their skinning finished I think. I dont know if the soldier is skinned yet. The HWG is waiting for a concept.

Many of the first person view models are just the TFC placeholders, ones that are finished that I can recall offhand are supershotgun, rpg, super nailgun, crowbar, knife, wrench, pipe/gren launcher. How many others are completed but waiting for anims/to be put ingame I don't really know. All the grenades except for the gas & nail grenade are in game, and all the projectiles (nail, rocket, tranq) are placeholders still.

edit: actually the gl and pl grens/pipes are done too

3rd person models I'm not entirely sure, I think they just get added as each first-person model gets added.

Player anims are still being worked on, but I think there's a fair bit of stuff done there now. I'm pretty sure that all classes are just sharing the same skeleton and animations set, so once it's done they should all be sorted.

The mod sounds really good, I was playing against a bot earlier and the mix of explosions, gunfire and everything, and it all sounded really crazily chaotic.

I think we've got a sizeable bunch of textures now, but I only ever load up our developers ctf map (the only map which is properly rigged up with the entity system so far, so I use it as default for when I have to test something entity related) so I haven't really seen the full extent of those.

We are actually at a stage where we can play properly with pretty much all of the game dynamics in place. We haven't really got together to play much recently though which is a pity because last time it was pretty fun.

The ongoing bug fixing and tweaking is progressing well, Mulchman has been doing plenty of work while I've been sidetracked with my University final year project. Together we've made plenty of progress in shaping everything up and there's not a huge amount left to do really. Also ted_maul has made a good start on the cool effects, I think he's just committed a new conc effect but I haven't looked at it yet.

edit: oh man that was longer than i thought it would be

Last edited by mirvin_monkey; 03-22-2006 at 11:16 PM.
mirvin_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
o_puppychow

thanks for the informal dev journal!

ps, give me your uni project so you can get back to work!
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2006, 11:43 PM   #8
o_thepanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirvin_monkey
There's 3 player models ingame that I can remember (sniper, demo, medic) and the rest are meant to be coming in soon. The engineer model is ingame but unskinned. The scout model is invisible ingame and crashes HLMV if you try view it in there. So kinda difficult to tell how finished the model is meant to be then.

The rest are random placeholders in game. The civ I expect should be in sometime soon, and the spy and pyro are currently having their skinning finished I think. I dont know if the soldier is skinned yet. The HWG is waiting for a concept.

Many of the first person view models are just the TFC placeholders, ones that are finished that I can recall offhand are supershotgun, rpg, super nailgun, crowbar, knife, wrench, pipe/gren launcher. How many others are completed but waiting for anims/to be put ingame I don't really know. All the grenades except for the gas & nail grenade are in game, and all the projectiles (nail, rocket, tranq) are placeholders still.

edit: actually the gl and pl grens/pipes are done too

3rd person models I'm not entirely sure, I think they just get added as each first-person model gets added.

Player anims are still being worked on, but I think there's a fair bit of stuff done there now. I'm pretty sure that all classes are just sharing the same skeleton and animations set, so once it's done they should all be sorted.

The mod sounds really good, I was playing against a bot earlier and the mix of explosions, gunfire and everything, and it all sounded really crazily chaotic.

I think we've got a sizeable bunch of textures now, but I only ever load up our developers ctf map (the only map which is properly rigged up with the entity system so far, so I use it as default for when I have to test something entity related) so I haven't really seen the full extent of those.

We are actually at a stage where we can play properly with pretty much all of the game dynamics in place. We haven't really got together to play much recently though which is a pity because last time it was pretty fun.

The ongoing bug fixing and tweaking is progressing well, Mulchman has been doing plenty of work while I've been sidetracked with my University final year project. Together we've made plenty of progress in shaping everything up and there's not a huge amount left to do really. Also ted_maul has made a good start on the cool effects, I think he's just committed a new conc effect but I haven't looked at it yet.

edit: oh man that was longer than i thought it would be
In other words you could probably have a ghetto scrim if a map is "finished" sans HW/Scout. That was a kickass update by the way, much thanks Mirv.
o_thepanther is offline   Reply With Quote