Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Fallout 3

I noticed Fallout 3 on steam just now. Any reports from the field? I LOVED Fallout and Fallout 2. I'll pretend the Xbox version was never released though. This isn't the same play style of course, but if the universe fits the first couple then I am interested.
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #2
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
I played it a bit on a friend's XBox. It was beautiful on the HD tv, but I'd still like to try it on my computer. The game played well.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #3
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I wannit... I cannah play it on my computer. The first time in a long damned time I'm seeing games I really wanna play that I just can't.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 08:47 PM   #4
Mnemonik

Class/Position: Scout | Demo
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: mimic
Just finished my second time through (I've had it for 360 for quite some time now). I can say that this game WILL NOT dissapoint you. It stays true to the atmosphere and story of 1 and 2. You'd think that since its a First Person perspective that it'd be more of a shooter than RPG, but its not. This game is perfect in every way.
Mnemonik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
v3rtigo
Lock 'n Loll!

Class/Position: Scout, Spy, Sniper
Gametype: CTF
So it's not "Oblivion with guns" ?
v3rtigo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-2008, 09:53 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
But Todd Howard said that it was exactly Oblivion with guns.

I don't buy that it stays true to 1 and 2's story or atmosphere. I'll know when I play it, though - planning to get it Friday.

I enjoyed Oblivion enough that even if it's a completely shit Fallout clone, an abortion of the series' style and substance, it'd still be an interesting game.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM   #7
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonik
Just finished my second time through (I've had it for 360 for quite some time now). I can say that this game WILL NOT dissapoint you. It stays true to the atmosphere and story of 1 and 2. You'd think that since its a First Person perspective that it'd be more of a shooter than RPG, but its not. This game is perfect in every way.
I remember taking a job as "fluffer" in the first series, getting poisoned and then not being able to find help in time. lol. Your analysis has me peaked in interest. I am damn close to whipping out the plastic and shoveling mo'money to steam.

Thanks also to Hawk for the feedback from some hands on.

Last edited by SkullBash; 10-29-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:22 AM   #8
Hawk Eye
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I haven't played enough of it to give you much more. :P

Let's see some reviews from those of you who have.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #9
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullBash
I remember taking a job as "fluffer" in the first series, getting poisoned and then not being able to find help in time. lol. Your analysis has me peaked in interest. I am damn close to whipping out the plastic and shoveling mo'money to steam.

Thanks also to Hawk for the feedback from some hands on.
I whipped out the plastic earlier today and started playing about 3 hours ago. So far, WOW! This game rocks! It definitely shares alot with oblivion as far as interface, controls, ETC. If you played oblivion you already know the basic controls of fallout but other than that, it's nothing like Oblivion. Sure it's an RPG and the controls are similar but so far as i've noticed, that's where the similarities end. The start of the game I thought was great! I've never played a game where you start out as a new born baby. Great touch.

One thing that annoyed me about Oblivion was that there were about 10 voice actors employed for the game and those same 10 voices were used on hundreds if not thousands of npc's. So far in Fallout the voices all sound unique with the exception of the raiders I fought in the Springvale elementary school.

The dialogs get a bit tedious since you have the option to ask most npc's alot of questions and you can usually respond with multiple responses depending on how you want your character viewed and developed.

Example:
Hey Mr, can you help me find my lost husband?:
Option 1: Sure, i'd be glad to help
Option 2: Fuck off bitch, I go my own way
Option 3: what's in it for me if I do help?

All in all, so far I have enjoyed it alot. The game feels very large too. Granted i've only put about 3 hours into it but I barely made it out of the vault and through the first "town". According to the world map, i've not even scratched the surface yet.

-Icculus {FYC}
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #10
Suite307

This game's freakin hard.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #11
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
But Todd Howard said that it was exactly Oblivion with guns.

I don't buy that it stays true to 1 and 2's story or atmosphere. I'll know when I play it, though - planning to get it Friday.

I enjoyed Oblivion enough that even if it's a completely shit Fallout clone, an abortion of the series' style and substance, it'd still be an interesting game.
http://www.cad-comic.com/#1771

I trust most of what Tim has to say about games, he's got a pretty good idea of what is good and what's not.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
9.6 from pc.ign.com ??

hell, i'm sold...getting this weekend. yea!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-30-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus
I whipped out the plastic earlier today and started playing about 3 hours ago. So far, WOW! This game rocks! It definitely shares alot with oblivion as far as interface, controls, ETC. If you played oblivion you already know the basic controls of fallout but other than that, it's nothing like Oblivion. Sure it's an RPG and the controls are similar but so far as i've noticed, that's where the similarities end. The start of the game I thought was great! I've never played a game where you start out as a new born baby. Great touch.

One thing that annoyed me about Oblivion was that there were about 10 voice actors employed for the game and those same 10 voices were used on hundreds if not thousands of npc's. So far in Fallout the voices all sound unique with the exception of the raiders I fought in the Springvale elementary school.

The dialogs get a bit tedious since you have the option to ask most npc's alot of questions and you can usually respond with multiple responses depending on how you want your character viewed and developed.

Example:
Hey Mr, can you help me find my lost husband?:
Option 1: Sure, i'd be glad to help
Option 2: Fuck off bitch, I go my own way
Option 3: what's in it for me if I do help?

All in all, so far I have enjoyed it alot. The game feels very large too. Granted i've only put about 3 hours into it but I barely made it out of the vault and through the first "town". According to the world map, i've not even scratched the surface yet.

-Icculus {FYC}
Great review!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
Hawk Eye
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
I will say though... out of the hundreds of emails I got pointing this out to me... the majority of them were telling me "Dpad this" or "R2 that". Did everyone buy this game for the consoles?

*tsk tsk*
Heh. Heh.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
http://www.cad-comic.com/#1771

I trust most of what Tim has to say about games, he's got a pretty good idea of what is good and what's not.
Tim B^Uckley....yeah alright.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 PM   #16
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Tim B^Uckley....yeah alright.
^

And I saw all those words, and it's so much easier to ask a friend who's played all of them so far, and says it's awesome. So there we go. IGN gave it a 9.6, and people like it, so I'd say it'd be worth it to check it out.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #17
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I'm finding myself pretty much deriding Fallout 3 at every opportunity. I'm acknowledging everything about it that's going to suck, because I know everything about Oblivion that sucked, and I'm preparing for the worst... but I know no matter how much it surprises me, if it even does, it'll never be as good as Fallout was.

Oh well, y'know? Bethesda isn't Interplay/Black Isle and they never will be. At least F3 is taking steps in the right direction... why we went so off-course in the first place is the real puzzler.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Picked it up today. Watching the Dallas/Houston game before I install.

I'll give a detailed review (no I won't).

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2008, 04:27 AM   #19
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
So far I'm kind of bored. This could have a lot to do with me being really tired, but I'm just sort of... eh. Unsure if it picks up much or not. Hoping it does.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-31-2008, 02:38 PM   #20
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

It looks really beautiful, but as per games these days I dunno if the gameplay is gonna be all it's hyped up to be.