Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2007, 01:01 PM   #161
SAM
Stupid Idea Mill

Class/Position: D-pyro/demo O-scout/demo/pyro
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: TPF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If admin mod can do stuff like make Predators in DoD and limb regenerating zombies in CSS I'm pretty sure that eventually someone will make a plugin that overrides the overheat function. And there will be much rejoicing.
SAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 01:02 PM   #162
NoComply

Medic is clunky, seems like you are right on someone healing yet somehow manage to miss them and then they have moved and then you end up chasing them getting in the odd bit of healing. It's so clunky to aim and hit someone with a heal that it's hardly worth it. TF2 did well by making it a gun. You don't have be be so accurate and you know if you are hitting them.

sideways bug sucks, alt tabbing doesn't work well, it works fine for my other steam games, would love the option to show when you have the mic pressed down. Oh I wouldn't mind being able to change the mouse wheel bindings(I never cycle through weapons, always just select the exact one I need), engy and demo construction seems limited and clunky, works well with spy. I just don't get why some things require weapon changes, ie to sentry gun yet a spy can disguise through right click.

The game looks good and plays sound, a few bugs set it back but hopefully these things can be addressed in the future.
NoComply is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #163
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
The medic healing is something that's going to be addressed soon. The rest have been duly noted.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #164
EvilIguana966

A little rough around the edges, but a good solid game at the core. I understand why they released early, and I agree with the decision.

Problems I've had:

-Game can be kind of choppy at times. It's not system lag-choppiness, although I do get that when things get frantic, and I don't really know how to explain it. Doors, for example, all seem to have like 3 frames of animation rather than a smooth movement. It strikes me as something related to how client and server communicate the FF specific stuff, and I'm confident the FF devs will soon fix this as they further optimize their code.

-Movement feels a bit too fast and projectiles feel a bit too slow to be useful against players at that speed.

-Rocket needs a larger blast radius, countered by a slightly slower rate of fire. I feel like I'm wasting too many and not causing much damage unless they land right on a guy's foot.

-Pyro: I'm annoyed by the IC changes. It now has an arc and a much smaller blast radius than it did in TFC. The flamethrower seems more powerful but has the same problems with range/projectile speed as it did in TFC. Very hard to hit any reasonably fast class with the flames if they are running away because the closing speed between the flame and them ends up being like 7 mph.

-A few missing animations.
EvilIguana966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 02:59 PM   #165
CatzEyes93
Black Mesa Voice Actor

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Pro:The look is sexy. Period. The hard work you guys put in is obvious and it is pure candy to us frag hogs. The way you have laid out the maps is refreshing and while they are the same maps, they are new all over again.

Con:I am most likly wrong, but with the way the players moved the game felt like they were speed skating around. I am not sure how to describe it but it just didnt feel natural. Overall it wasnt a big deal, but it just made me wonder what that was about.

Major Con: The sg's are weak assed guns and are worthless against the weapons of the other classes. And as I feared, they do nothing to ward off the flyers. I am afraid I wont be playing much.
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 03:03 PM   #166
Ambex

where is the jump sound?

Ambex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #167
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
Major Con: The sg's are weak assed guns and are worthless against the weapons of the other classes. And as I feared, they do nothing to ward off the flyers. I am afraid I wont be playing much.
I've had other people on IRC bitching that guns are way too strong. Methinks it can't be both!

Old 09-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #168
Tercel
Hence you're a fuck.

Send a message via AIM to Tercel
the sg's increased strength is definately noticed. in tfc it takes a direct nade and 10 nails or so to kill a lvl 3 sg...a maneuver that usually can be accomplished by jumping around a corner and spraying at the sg for a couple seconds.

the sg health boost makes it alot more difficult to pull off this maneuver which is extremely frustrating for TFC players that are used to a very specific routine of killing sgs. playing FF there has been at least 10 instances where i tried killing the sg and instead of finishing it off i just went on my merry way expecting it to have died already.

imo the sg strength is good right now it'll just take time for people to relearn how to kill them
Tercel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 03:22 PM   #169
Sureshot
Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93
SGs are, in fact, most effective against 'flyers'. The pushback in the air basically stops you dead or pins you to the wall/ceiling on most occasions. The problem actually lies with those on the ground, as the bullet pushback is almost non-existent against those who are simply walking.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 PM   #170
PorkChopVII
The "other" white meat....

First impression:
Totally kicked ass! There is a few things that i wish would improve, but im not complaining and it still is very fun fragfest of a game. I dunno if its lag, but seems there is a delay in shooting pipes or rockets. My ping never goes above 40, so i dunno. But if its suppose to be that way thats cool, im adjusting and still fun as hell. Im not one to complain, i just adjust! Love the work that yall did and it shows in the outcome of the game. I know there will prolly be updats later on that will inprove, and in my expierence as a programmer i look at the how great a game can and will become. With how great i think FF has turned out, you can see the potential of it growing even more!

Anyways good job love it want some more of it!
PorkChopVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 03:53 PM   #171
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
I've had other people on IRC bitching that guns are way too strong. Methinks it can't be both!

I think the Sgs are extremely powerful at closerange, but lack at long range, or at certain angles. On monkey the sg had a great time nailing the people who came from the front. ( sg was on the ledge part)

Old 09-15-2007, 04:29 PM   #172
Ohcanep

Well... it's a load of fun while it won't crash! Hopefully those will be few and far between after the first patch or two.

Most of the changes seem great. The SG might be too evil right now and concin' felt hard but gotta practice that then. Pyro is actually quite badass now, so it will get some more playtime. Oh and conc and tranq effects are simply cool.
Ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #173
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambex
where is the jump sound?

It's there, it sounds like gear jumbling around.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #174
funwithdrugs

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
So, What are YOUR first impressions of the mod?

What did you find fun?
What surprises did you experience?
Was there anything frustrating or annoying for you?

Tell us what you think!!

I've been folliwing this mod for a long friggin time, and was pretty excited to hear it was finally coming out. I'm happy with most of the new mechanical changes.

The only disappointment I have was the choice for initial map releases. No casbah? No badlands? No rock? No 2fort(would have been a priority, imo)?No avanti?

Instead we get basically all the maps that I never really liked(cornfield, cz2, push) Monkey and Shutdown are good inclusions.

Mulch_dm is a good inclusion, and I like the new mulch map a lot, although there should have been two arenas! And you have it on servers with a 20 person cap...and it degenerates to snipers and engys and shit in like 10 minutes, if you're lucky.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #175
Sabre
Creg

The improved health for SG's is hard to get used to but i like it!
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #176
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
i think what FF needs more of are more original maps, be it from us devs or from the community. simply remaking all the popular maps only does so much.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:56 PM   #177
Sabre
Creg

Agreed new quality maps is what we need, the more you play this game the better its gets.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 05:33 PM   #178
SAM
Stupid Idea Mill

Class/Position: D-pyro/demo O-scout/demo/pyro
Affiliations: TPF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
I think the Sgs are extremely powerful at closerange, but lack at long range, or at certain angles. On monkey the sg had a great time nailing the people who came from the front. ( sg was on the ledge part)
That could be it. And the aesthetics of a double-chaingun monstrosity that seems to fire as though it actually had 2 muskets borrowed from Battlegrounds strapped to it. I built one on the ground on crossover and it seemed like it didn't even have the length to reach all the way to the doorway to our yard.

Personally I'd rather see a hailstorm of low damage bullets that does the same damage and pushback in the same time but has a more substantial feel to it. The extra spread afforded by suck a scheme could also allow their range to be buffed to the point that you can't just walk up to one and take potshots from what you'd expect to be within range for at least firing if not killing.

Maybe if the targetting was such that they fired at anything in normal range, then anything in extended range, then anything shooting at them and they took a while to narrow down their field of fire on distant targets... You wouldn't be able to kill anything from across well but you would at least not need to worry about people just taking 5 steps to the left on entering your yard in crossover and being fine.
SAM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #179
hank

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
I think the Sgs are extremely powerful at closerange, but lack at long range, or at certain angles.
Its been a while but some of the maps feel a lot smaller than they used to be (more crowded).

Old 09-15-2007, 05:58 PM   #180
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopVII
First impression:
Totally kicked ass! There is a few things that i wish would improve, but im not complaining and it still is very fun fragfest of a game. I dunno if its lag, but seems there is a delay in shooting pipes or rockets. My ping never goes above 40, so i dunno. But if its suppose to be that way thats cool, im adjusting and still fun as hell. Im not one to complain, i just adjust! Love the work that yall did and it shows in the outcome of the game. I know there will prolly be updats later on that will inprove, and in my expierence as a programmer i look at the how great a game can and will become. With how great i think FF has turned out, you can see the potential of it growing even more!

Anyways good job love it want some more of it!
Programmer?

Get on the team now.
4est is offline   Reply With Quote