Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
THIS IS WORTH ARGUING ABOUT

(more things being team-colored is fine by me; if it's optional, even better)

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 05-05-2012 at 12:51 AM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #42
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Squeek, all the drama aside, what do you have to say about the issues? I believe THESE are worth arguing about:

1: Green/Yellow/NON-BLUE pipes sparkle red to say that they are inactive. Yet the trail of the pipe itself is also red. This is not an argument for making pipes team colored, rather not to have 2 pieces of information vital to the function of the device be easily confused.

2: Anything to let people know about the awesomeness that is default_f0v 120

3: Perhaps a pyro nerf request is not in order, given how much you've no doubtedly tweaked before release, so I'd like to focus on the top 2.

map tweaks:
openfire
destroy

Have glitchy ceiling.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #43
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

1. The trail being red is a bit weird. All the trail/halo colors were just arbitrarily chosen as far as I know. Perhaps it could be red at first and then switch to a grellow-ish color or just be grellow the whole time.

2. Definitely do-able.

3. Pyro's fire DOT could probably be reduced across the board, but level 2 definitely stands out.

4. Not an issue with the maps. It's a bug with the flag and needs a fix in code.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 05-05-2012 at 01:10 AM.

Old 05-05-2012, 02:06 AM   #44
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Cool. Thanks!

If you make the pipes team color coded, how would we know the difference between pipes and traps? Glad to see you're thinking about this tweek though.

While you're looking at the flag code, I've noticed some people say they pass right through the flag after throws sometimes. Is there a min_time_limit before it can be touched by ANYONE, not just flag thrower?

Old 05-05-2012, 02:17 AM   #45
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
one minor thing I did a long time ago was team colored projectile trails, which sorta covers this. well not really
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 AM   #46
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
holy SHIT i have no recollection of this

should be ff_dev somewhere
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #47
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
1. The trail being red is a bit weird. All the trail/halo colors were just arbitrarily chosen as far as I know. Perhaps it could be red at first and then switch to a grellow-ish color or just be grellow the whole time.

2. Definitely do-able.

3. Pyro's fire DOT could probably be reduced across the board, but level 2 definitely stands out.

4. Not an issue with the maps. It's a bug with the flag and needs a fix in code.
1, 2, and 3 are done and will be in the next patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos
While you're looking at the flag code, I've noticed some people say they pass right through the flag after throws sometimes. Is there a min_time_limit before it can be touched by ANYONE, not just flag thrower?
This needs more testing for sure. I've experienced it, but it could be any number of issues and it's hard to narrow it down at all, really.

My Non-official Maps

- Karl Pilkington

Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #48
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Also, how difficult is it to have separate weapons for each team so I can make a blue version of a specific weapon texture as well as a red version?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #49
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Another map specific tweek please. : D

SCHTOP:

The room above security. Make the bars slightly further apart. It's too tricky to throw the flag out as it is right now.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #50
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
does it reak of bureaucracy to anyone else.

as far as im concerned its called situational awareness. I don't use my hud nearly as much as most of you apparently. for new players it helps alot, but it also adds more situational awareness to all players.

For example laser grenades (not gonna start an argument on if there op not.) when I see them i know if I can walk through them as they won't hurt me. also If I need to throw one to guard the flag (as I know if there is one already doing it). just little things like that are key to adding depth that currently wasn't there. it creates situational awareness as i just showed. and adds graphical depth to the game. its not about holding peoples hands so much as it helps create situational awareness that we don't have previously.

we will start with rockets the tip of current rocket is currently red I was thinking we change the color to its proper team color. not only does it help me know whose rocket is whose. but only if i'm paying attention as ricey said. but it being red tricks me into thinking im on the red team when im not quite a bit and I find this a problem im sure others have the same problem as me. so making it team color also helps one more indicator of whose team in on.

Demo man related stuff. my suggestion would be to change the model of the pipes by either just skinning them so they have a different pattern or redoing the model. as for the team colors i'd suggest making each team have there respective team colors rbyg. as for timers, pipes its simple have it go from a dull dark rbyg to a brighter rbyg as if a light turned on indicating they were ready to explode.

this adds depth by making players instantly know things they otherwise would have to find the source of the demo-man shooting them which is really useful in combat in the chaos that is FF. imagine being able to instantly recognize whose grenades are whose in the middle of a fire fight this kind of info would be very useful. this adds to what you can learn from your surroundings even more instead of the current limited knowledge that it is now.

Grenades the UI for grenades needs to be changed as of now I can't tell whose grenades whose it would be really useful to know. I hate running around corners to find a grenade that I don't know if it will hurt me or not.

miscellaneous while i half heart-idly suggested shotgun shells while i think they would be a nice touch a lot of work for little gain. but Crowbars this way I can tell whose team im on. its red like the rockets has tricked me a number of times thinking im on the red team. I honestly almost forget it makes the crowbar look even more bad ass. bags I think bags should ditch the ff symbol and use there respective team symbol this helps me know instantly what bags I can and can't pick up also lets me know what team just threw a bag also mostly because i think it looks nice. i sometimes forget in the middle of battle.

pyro while it would be nice its not a necessity for me as fire is fire. however it could be nice and look totally bad ass. blue flames

overall these type of changes are nice because they look nice (pretty colors). adding graphical depth/increased awareness to the game that wasn't previously there. not only that but, think it would be one more thing to convince new players to stay. also one less thing to figure out.

heres an example because some things are colors that are faction colors try saying the words not the colors.red blue yellow green then try to do it vice versa its not as easy as it looks.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-05-2012 at 01:31 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #51
Respect38
D&A Member

Class/Position: Pyro
Gametype: Hunted
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
-snip-
/signed

to everything here as an option to the player.

Some stuff like Demoman projectiles would be "pointless" to some players, but would help other players like me, so leaving it as an option would make everyone happy!

Then the only debate would be what we should have as default...

(I think everything but the Pyro flames should be team colored by default)

Last edited by Respect38; 05-05-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Respect38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #52
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
I've wanted to redo resupply bags for a while now. Team skins can be done through lua, as well as different models for grenade bags, etc.

Support for weapon skins requires a bit of coding work, which I'm not a part of, but I'd love to find the time to do class/team specific arm models.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #53
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Totally support a bag redesign. You don't know which supply bags help O or D, and some are just ammo, others are health and ammo, others have grenades, etc.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #54
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=15994

My proposal for backpack replacement.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #55
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
I would really like team colored demo pipes. But that's about as far as I'd go with recolors. Changing the rockets seems really silly.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #56
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Agreed, rockets are rockets are rockets.

Nice video, Dexter. Would be totally fine with labels like those. Right now the trail seems color coded by grenade type (EMP = yellow, Conc = white, frag = red, etc.) but color coded by team seems more helpful.

Thanks for getting 1, 2, and 3 of my initial requests squeek!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #57
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
think about it this way, if there are 2 teams red and blue always fighting (yellow and green aswell). being that they all wear rbyg wouldn't it make sense that they paint their equipment in there team colors not only for identification but because they take great pride in there team colors. (i mean if you watch the dust bowl video wouldn't it make sense that that these guys are passionate about there team colors. (risking there lives and all.) i think that is another thing these changes add. depth to the story which i forgot to mention.

also aardvark could use a few changes. as of now its got alot of wasted space. i feel should streamline the underground part. make it more useful and more part of the map instead of just a hidden Easter egg with a cool feature. (which isn't particularly useful... or add to the map in anyway other than other than a cheap sadistic trick you only fall for once.) The whole underground needs a revamp imho.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 05-06-2012 at 12:53 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #58
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFiDi View Post
also aardvark could use a few changes. as of now its got alot of wasted space. i feel should streamline the underground part. make it more useful and more part of the map instead of just a hidden Easter egg with a cool feature. (which isn't particularly useful... or add to the map in anyway other than other than a cheap sadistic trick you only fall for once.) The whole underground needs a revamp imho.
The underground are can be used to bypass the immense spam that happens on the ramp sometimes or to infiltrate the base silently as spy, so it isn't exactly useless
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #59
CaptainAhab
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 35 Times
I totally support a bag/pipe/grenade redesign to match team colors, it would definitely be a positive addition to the game.
CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2012, 04:36 AM   #60
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Another thought I had:

Cycling through different loading screens. I liked the spy sneaking up on demoman from 2.42.

Placing "Training" as the first option. Someone posted that a new player didn't notice it. Granted, that's a stupid player but it would emphasize training before jumping into a server to get roflpwned.
Perhaps even renaming Training to "New Player Tutorial" or something as well.