Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
-insert slew of expletives here-

Son of a motherfucking whore bitch.

I work as a computer tech. The job is pretty easy. "OH HAI MY WINDOHZ BROK, FIX IT KTHX?" and such.

For the last two days, I have had a job from the guy who helped me get my company started. He is a pastor and is building a youth center in the basement of his church.

(Plug: check out http://www.newarksafehaven.com to read about his great program that will give kids in an unsafe neighborhood a safe place to learn and play after school and during the summer. Donate a buck if you can! <3 )

First things first, I have to install Windows (updates and all) including some additional software on 6 PCs and Windows with just basic office programs on 2 PCs. Cake job. I had the 6 important PCs (the ones in the youth center) done three weeks ago.

He calls me Friday and says that the Internet will be installed in the youth center Monday. Just plug 'em in to the router, hook things up, done. Easy, right?

Right?

RONG. DED RONG.

First, the router they gave us was this bastard:

A Cisco 851. But before that, I do the first step to getting Internet working: I update the network drivers and hook a direct line to the cable modem.

No dice.

I spend about a half hour trying every fucking trick I know to get it to work. I'm going through Command Prompt, trying to Telnet something, anything... I would have called upon some dark lord but I was in a church and that's just not cool. That's like eating a bacon cheeseburger in a synagogue.

So, I go to unplug the cable modem to get it to reset. The fucker has a motherfucking battery backup.

Mind you all, I slept 4 hours the night before with a blinding headache, woke up with said headache, and had it come and go all day. I rationalize this as an excuse for my stupidity.

So, after about two hours of dicking around with this devil modem, I call tech support. They reset the modem for me. Then, the tech says "Hey, you know, there's probably somewhere where you can take the backup battery out." I actually pick the modem up for the first time and look underneath it to see the hatch for the backup battery.

Two. Fucking. Hours. And all I had to do was pick the damn modem up.

So, I call it a day... go hang out with my friends, hit the sack at about 1:00, and get up late. I go back to the youth center.

The Internet now works when it is hooked up to one computer. I hook the Internet into the router and the router into the computer. No good.

I pore over the manual for this devil router for two hours trying everything it tells me to do. It gives me the default IP address, but it doesn't work even though the modem is absolutely connected and working.

I call tech support again. The tech tells me, first off, that this router (which was specially configured by Cablevision) has the option for the UI disabled. That's right, they took out the management UI because it has static IPs for the youth center's computer lab. They shipped them a completely fucking useless computer manual.

It would have been really nice to know that stuff in advance. Isn't that the installation tech's job?

Speaking of the installation tech's job...

I then spend another hour trying to get the Interne to work. The computers have to have Static IP, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway set manually. I set them manually.

It doesn't work.

Now, I personally thought it was strange that there were no numbers supplied for the DNS servers. I left them blank - I recall that I have gotten the Internet to work while defining static IPs without DNS servers. After trying everything I know, I call tech support again.

"That's odd, the tech was supposed to supply those to you. Try these."

It works instantly. Internet online for three of the computers.

Now, I have to hook up a router to the fourth port of the devil router and then three computers to that secondary router. It's a Netgear. My spirit was nearly broken at this point. All it would have taken was one more fuckup for me to lose it and throw a monitor through a wall.

I hook up the other router and other three computers. I type in the default IP and type in the password "admin/admin". No dice. Okay, well, router companies usually do either "admin/admin" or "company/company". (The default password for the cisco router was cisco/cisco... Linksys routers are "admin/admin").

Netgear/netgear doesn't work, either.

I go online with one of the functioning computers and look it up. With Netgears, it's apparantly "admin/password". Fuckers.

I go into the router and I see... "This computer uses a Static IP". I was previously talking with my friend Kiba on the phone about what I would have to do, and he's talking about using subnets and other shit that I've never had to do. I was expecting a fuckton more stress, and it just... works, beautifully.

Six computers with Internet good to go - now all I have to do tomorrow is set up two more and finish updating everything and installing the software.

I swear, I want to buy a Cisco 851 just so I can shoot it out of a cannon and then shoot it again while it is in the air with another cannon.

The lessons?

1) When Ihmhi is sick, he should sleep in.

2) When Ihmhi is stumped, he should call tech support - 30 minute time limit before giving up and calling.

3) Fuck that bastard installation technician. (Not really a lesson; I just wanted to say that.)

4) CABLEVISION: Include clear instructions with your custom shit you fuckers, and make sure your technicians include all of the information. I am a somewhat experienced tech and I was having trouble with this shit. I was able to get through this thanks to at least having decent knowledge of networking. The pastor only uses Macs - he would have been in that youth center for two weeks. Fuck you Cablevision.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 04:44 AM   #2
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Honestly some of the stuff you missed is pretty common sense on a job like that. But in your defense (and I know from experience first hand) the stress in that kind of job can make you forget something as simple as plugging something in. Those damn phone techs act like they have all the answers but you would too if you were sitting at a chair spouting off random shit about jobs you can't physically touch or see much less do yourself. I hate those guys. DAMN YOU PHONE TECHS!

I hate working in Christian book stores or churches. Every time you cuss because a router doesn't connect or a computer doesn't pull an IP you want to scream as many words as you can get in one breath. But the instant you do there is always "Good ol Pastor Guy!" to come around the corner. Then you feel like you just destroyed the entire damn church but you can't even call it the "damn" church or you die x2. Its rough shit. I feel your pain.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 05:02 AM   #3
Suite307

IMHMI IS TEH SUX!1q34145
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #4
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
Honestly some of the stuff you missed is pretty common sense on a job like that. But in your defense (and I know from experience first hand) the stress in that kind of job can make you forget something as simple as plugging something in. Those damn phone techs act like they have all the answers but you would too if you were sitting at a chair spouting off random shit about jobs you can't physically touch or see much less do yourself. I hate those guys. DAMN YOU PHONE TECHS!
I admit that I fucked up on the first day, but again I do not think that I would have made the same mistake if I actually got a full night's sleep and could blink without my head throbbing.

I did not mention that I also did some stupid fuckups, like plugging the Internet cord into the wrong place in the Router and such... I noticed those in like a minute, though. d:

Old 12-05-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi

I did not mention that I also did some stupid fuckups, like plugging the Internet cord into the wrong place in the Router and such... I noticed those in like a minute, though. d:

It kills my spirit when that happens, seriously its the worst thing ever . You're always like "Oh yay! That'll be the problem!" Then it doesn't work when you switch it.
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
lol ihmhi I feel for you bro...I used to do that shit and it can get so frustrating sometimes. Especially when you talk to the tecs...cause they act like the know everything and that just pisses me off even more!

and that password shit made me laugh so hard...everyone uses admin/admin or company/company...why the fuck do they have to be different...I would have been so pissed off!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Why didn't you just pray for it to work?
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #8
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly Furby
Why didn't you just pray for it to work?
Well, I am an atheist so I kinda don't believe in prayer... d:

Old 12-06-2007, 12:18 AM   #9
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

Damn that was rough. To help ease your pain, I have sigged this part..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
I would have called upon some dark lord but I was in a church and that's just not cool.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote