Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
That heavy looks much more fat and slow as he should be. Just give him a football helmet and he'll be ready to play defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Thanks to rookies speculation I've come to realize it's not a giant anal drill, rather it's a tfc style rpg, with the rocket loaded in the front.
Yes, but they just reused the one from Half-life that shot only one rocket. I guess things didn't need to be logical in a game where you can fly around by shooting at your feet.

Last edited by R00Kie; 06-03-2014 at 06:36 AM.
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #62
aleXtric
#FF.Pickup Dictator
Beta Tester

Gametype: ADL
Affiliations: KiNGz .
Posts Rated Helpful 100 Times
eh i couldnt tell you what you should do since the silhouettes are pretty vague. I feel like armored up models always turn out tacky. No soldier really wears armor outside of bullet proof vests and helmets in real life and the armor they do wear is underneath uniforms. Each classes size should be defined by body mass not how heavy their armor is. Also why would the heavy be wearing knee pads?

Differentiate classes by body size and clothing (short sleeve, long sleeve, jacket, turtle neck, shorts, pants, etc) the TF2 models (no matter how cheesy/cartoony they are) are a perfect example of how to make each class look different and easily distinguishable.

http://www.ffpickup.com/?p=irc

Last edited by aleXtric; 06-03-2014 at 12:49 PM.
aleXtric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2014, 02:22 PM   #63
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Love the silhouettes, it's a great start and I can't wait to see what else you have in store.
trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2014, 04:08 AM   #64
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
!!!!!!!!!TOP SECRET !!!!!!
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM   #65
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scoooooot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 73 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Also even though you don't run into it much in FF there are some good advantages with the offset position of projectiles when it comes to cornering and some other situations. But I think mostly it just looks better with the view model animation.
Ah yes, who can forget the glory of the rocket spawning inside your teammate as you fire, resulting in a self and teamkill?

I prefer Nugs' silhouettes, Dexter. Unless the top secret is sarcastic? Alex makes a good point: body type and clothes are enough to differentiate classes.
XPelargos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 AM   #66
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

it was sarcastic and a bad joke

Old 06-05-2014, 02:51 AM   #67
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Apology accepted.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #68
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XPelargos View Post
Ah yes, who can forget the glory of the rocket spawning inside your teammate as you fire, resulting in a self and teamkill?

I prefer Nugs' silhouettes, Dexter. Unless the top secret is sarcastic? Alex makes a good point: body type and clothes are enough to differentiate classes.
That has more to do with the rocket spawning behind you than to your side I think.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:28 PM   #69
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Send a message via AIM to Lynus
Nice concept art so far, looking forward to seeing what's next.

There has been a lot of discussions of the FF models needing a major revamp so this is particularly one of the areas of the new game I'd like to see given extra effort and attention. I'm not saying we should have hats, but having a little more 'personality' goes a long way. Being able to have custom skins is a feature in many popular shooter games so I'm curious to know how everyone feels about this.

I also like that you're inspired by the old school Team Fortress Classic models but I personally would rather have something with a bit more cyberpunk feel. Just a little though.

Last edited by Lynus; 06-07-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2014, 02:02 PM   #70
XPelargos
I like to spam binds
Beta Tester

Broken Image Links.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #71
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

Fixed and these pictures are just meant to be food for thought. To possibly spark some creativity.

Last edited by Lynus; 06-07-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Lynus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #72
Nugzilla
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Thanks for posting those images. I created a new thread for reference collection to inspire the character classes.

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...ad.php?t=24436
Nugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #73
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trepid_jon View Post
http://www.fortress-forever.com/devteam/ (*edit 3: welcome to flat land, say goodbye to dev titles)

We're remaking FF. Or more precisely, we're remaking TFC on a modern engine and the remake of FF will come naturally from that as well as a whole bunch of other awesome stuff.

Anyone willing to help, feel free to speak up.

More info real soon.

*edit*

basically, if you're a dev in the "past members" section but want to work on FF again, then we can put you in the active list. For now though, consider this a fresh start. If you don't want to work on FF, that's fine. The door's always open anyways

*edit 2*

The dev team page will be updated as more devs confirm their involvement.

It's not just Jesse and me, I assure you. There are already devs that are active like Dexter, hlstriker, Elmo, and squeek. However, the only person who has confirmed anytime recently is Jesse, who I talked to on the phone last night.

Within the next few days/weeks, we should have a good idea of which devs are still active and want to do this.

The key is wanting to do it. Nobody's going to be forced to work on FF, they have to want it.
LOL i've been thinking about an FF remake since a few weeks, but i arrived at the thought somewhat differently. Here's my chronology so far:
  1. Since a few months, being more and more interested in Oculus VR, realising it's gonna be a groundbreaking revolution in 2015 gaming (the "next platform" after PC/Web/Mobile)
  2. Seeing their founder
  3. Thinking, how cool would it be to make a CTF/AvD/etc in VR, i bet nobody's doing it (especially not like FF), why not start now
  4. ordering a rift DK2
  5. Subscribing to UE4 and slowly learning the basics (it's amazing btw)
  6. Modeling a char in 3ds max that takes into account Palmer's talk (above): i.e. i'm making a sort of exoskeleton like the APUs in Matrix3 but less beefy, since they need to move fluently (pm me if u wanna see the current status)
  7. I was gonna put a post here when i was at a stage that was worth sharing

So yeah! My question to you is, would VR be in the scope? Knowing that it can't be "just a display addon" (we'd need to build it from the ground up with VR in mind, affecting player models like i described above etc)? If so, count me in big time!

I don't wanna disrupt anything if you have a different thinking about the future of FF, in that case dismiss my post and you have my sincerest wishes of luck

grtz!

Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 AM   #74
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

VR is not the "groundbreaking future" imo. I really think it's a gimmick that is going to hold back the developement of games that decide to put it at the forefront. Granted it's an exceptionally cool gimmick, but still just a gimmick.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:42 AM   #75
Headz

Posts Rated Helpful 81 Times
vr helmet not my bag, got a feeling it will be like 3dtv, lots of interest then it dies off after the novelty and looking like ..... well a 'helmet'

Old 06-10-2014, 04:23 AM   #76
Lynus
I like Ceyx
Beta Tester

VR sounds cool on paper, but always sucks. I'm not buyin it. I've seen the latest n greatest and it doesn't look that cool yet. The truth is, my idea of what VR should be isn't the Occulus Rift In fact, I don't even want VR and until the matrix is real, VR can fuck off. It screams eye/brain problems anyways, especially with a Team Fortress game where you defy physics and move so fast.

You sir are insane.. unless of course you're joking. Wait, are you joking? I mean, if you're not I'd be curious to see the end product, but I honsetly think its too early in the game. I applaud your enthusiam though

Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #77
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I'm not joking. I'm also very sceptical in nature, that's why i followed the development for months before getting excited. They're moving at an incredible pace, solving nausea, achieving presence, poaching the best ppl in the industry, etc.

I guess it's just one of those things where you have to see it for yourself in order to be truly convinced. Zuckerberg tried it and then spent 2b cause he believes it will be the next platform too.

For me it's a leap of faith at this point, i'll experience it in August when my DK2 arrives.

And yes, the movement of FF seems hard to rhyme with VR. But imagine if it's something that you can be tuned to. Wouldn't that be awesome

Last edited by BlisTer; 06-10-2014 at 12:24 PM.
BlisTer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #78
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

I mean, don't get me wrong, VR does sound amazing. I sincerely can not wait to roam around some place like morrowind done up in next gen graphics with a vr set. But I don't ever see VR being much of a thing in FPS, and definitely not in multiplayer FPS.

VR does one thing, and it does it really great. Immersion. And it seems like it does it well enough to the point of being a draw back to other game mechanics. Immersion is important, but I don't think all out immersion is a favorable route for many games. There are certain mechanics that go into making a game what it is; ease of access, readability, control, input, etc. Those should be balanced with immersion.

Because of that I don't really see VR getting into FPS, and what does VR really add for MMOs, or RTS games? Third person shooters, third person racers? I think VR will be a gimmick and only really take hold of a small niche of gamers.

Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #79
trepid_jon
Ray Ray Johnson
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Civilian
Gametype: Rocket Jousting
Affiliations: EAFD
Posts Rated Helpful 78 Times
Send a message via ICQ to trepid_jon Send a message via AIM to trepid_jon
Hey blister, don't feel like you're interrupting anything. If you want to contribute in any way, let's do it.

VR is awesome and FF should support it, just like almost every game ever made once VR becomes more mainstream.

We can definitely create good VR support in FF, even with the movement being so extreme. VR would be a gimmick if not, and it's not a gimmick.

The main thing is remembering that VR is just a bonus. If someone doesn't have it, they should still be able to play and enjoy it however they want without losing quality of the game (gaming room / living room, mouse & keyboard / controller, etc). If you rely on gimmicks, like a bunch of stuff flying at the camera for cool VR effects, people without VR will be like "this is lame" so I think it's best to go the subtle route and avoid gimmicks, focus on improving the game with the aide of VR instead of trying to cram some shallow VR stuff in. The direction of the entire experience is important, VR or not.

What happened with me, messing around with the original oculus dev kit this past year, is just how "old school" it makes even current games feel. I don't really know how to explain it, but it's like VR exposes the flaws. Or maybe a better way to put it would be that VR allows you to fine tune things so well that it sorta naturally diminishes the flaws during development if you're always testing and iterating with VR as well as the normal stuff.

Things like scale, for example. With VR goggles, accurate/believable/consistent scale becomes more important (and it's already important, but like I said VR exposes the flaws). It's not just the scale of the world around you, it's also the scale of the player's character...you can feel like a big troll, a tiny fly, a regular person, etc. And in thirdperson games, VR makes you feel like more of a ghost following a character rather than a basic camera scripted to follow a character. VR kinda makes things feel more literal, as in like...firstperson is one character but thirdperson is a character watching another character but you're controlling both at the same time...aka 3rd person haha.

Overall, the immersion that VR enables has changed what used to be a simple camera and audio listener for the player's perspective / frame of reference. With VR, you start thinking about how to really make the player feel like they're there, and you can accurately test how it feels instead of relying on 2D monitors and whatnot. In doing so, it makes the non-VR modes even better too. If you always treat VR as an option, you're better off, like if you focus on making a great game with great VR support instead of an awesome VR experience for a so-so game. I think you need both, the flashy VR demos (Blockbuster Movie: 3D) and the more subtle stuff (kinda like Avatar)...but 3d movies aren't even that good of examples, because VR is nothing like going to see a 3d movie...and most people have to experience it to truly understand that.

With those things in mind, think about the TF classes and how the immersion of VR could enhance the variation of playing each character. A scout should feel different than the heavy, and not just a simple weapon swap and speed changes. The heavy could be taller, the eyes a little different, the movement in general could feel different instead of just a speed change. Then think about being a spy, disguising...how could that feel different, pretending to be another class, making the player know they're a spy pretending to be something else without even needing hud stuff. I don't think we'd worry about all that with the TFC remake, but maybe so...and then definitely in the FF remake.

And I haven't even gotten to how VR has improved / is improving other systems like audio...and then you add in finger/hand/arm/attachment support through tech like leap, kinect, move, etc...plus the haptic feedback stuff, and projections...things are getting kinda awesome to say the least

trepid_jon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2014, 11:42 PM   #80
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

VR + external movement or view distortion IS THE WORST THING EVER, so I dont see it ever making sense with FF really because of things like concs