Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 01-12-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
The Disposable Worker

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3032935448.htm

"Pay is falling, benefits are vanishing, and no one's job is secure. How companies are making the era of the temp more than temporary."

While I am a capitalist at heart, articles like the above scare me. Not for myself (although like many my company is holding on but barely and still waiting for the "turnaround")... I am afraid for the next and future generations. Greed and corporate narrow-sighted short-term bottom line decisions are painting a very bleak future for the generations to follow mine.

Don't know where it's all headed (and neither does anyone else), but the lack of concern, caring, and consideration for those not in power by those with it is not a good sign for our future. Not good at all.

SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...3032935448.htm

"Pay is falling, benefits are vanishing, and no one's job is secure. How companies are making the era of the temp more than temporary."

While I am a capitalist at heart, articles like the above scare me. Not for myself (although like many my company is holding on but barely and still waiting for the "turnaround")... I am afraid for the next and future generations. Greed and corporate narrow-sighted short-term bottom line decisions are painting a very bleak future for the generations to follow mine.

Don't know where it's all headed (and neither does anyone else), but the lack of concern, caring, and consideration for those not in power by those with it is not a good sign for our future. Not good at all.

Too many individuals here have been coddled and grown up with a "I deserve" "you owe me" mentality. They have no real idea of what real work is. How many parents tell their kids that if they want that Ipod they'll have to get a paperroute, mow lawns, shovel driveways, walk dogs, etc, now-a-days? The school systems are creating individuals with a false inflated sense of self worth and entitlement. We've taught men and woman that commitment to family is conditional and disposable, "you can have kids and dump them and your wife for someone younger". All in the name of "love" and "peace". You get the workforce you create. This is the end result of failed social policies, a failing economic environment.

Scuzzy

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Meh, I know one person who is truly spoiled. All my friends are paying for their own educations, have had part time jobs since Grade 9 or 10... It's a well known fact that every generation is discontent with the next one.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
What also scares me is the increasing hostility towards corporations and globalization. Not the nature of globalization necessarily but our policies and how we are dealing with it. For example, we have to compete with some dudes in India or Malaysia or Eastern Europe and Africa in almost every field. Except maybe banking and congress is systematically destroying that industry. Another is medicine and we know where that is going as well. The government is continually spending money it does not have (greed and ignorance) even with less industry to drive tax revenue. While at the same time making it ever more difficult to conduct a business in this country. And speaking of greed, in a time of decreased jobs and tax revenues, congress and the executive takes money they don't have which was approved for a specific purpose (the dumbfuck bail out) and uses a big chunk to give out salary increases. Alot of us are lucky if we don't take pay cuts these days. And especially lucky that we have a job.

Shrink the economy / expand the government. That's good for our future. If you work for the government that is.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #5
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I'm not paying for my education, yaaaaaaaaaay.

But fuck anyone who thinks I think I'm entitled to it. I'm lucky and privileged and I'm grateful that my father has worked hard so I could get an education without working.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #6
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

All that I ask as a tax payer is... you better fucking make good use of it.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

I lol greatly, because the system in the states, and to some degree canada is SO unbelievable borked. The price of tuition is retarded. If you want to moan about your population being stupid, then make education accessible.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
There appears to be a vicious cycle.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #9
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
There appears to be a vicious cycle.
The truly sick part about this fact is that it's going to end up in a class war that's going to be insane. The last time such an event happened, it was peasants wielding farm tools against armies with swords and bow & arrow. This time around, it's going to be nasty, because of the weapons available to both sides.

Chances are, once the rich and powerfull are forced into a corner, they will bring out the military might. It will be similar to the "Machines vs Man scenario as seen in Terminator movies". The semi-poor that have weapons, will have to sneak around and strike with Guerilla/Terrorist tactics, while the rich/powerfull will be flying above in strike helecopters shooting at anything that moves. Anyone not armed or at least knowledgable about guerilla warfare, will, well, be eliminated with no problem.

As many will note, some of the more restrictive laws concerning legal gun ownership and use, will either limit the weapons available.... or make it easier for the government to swoop in and confiscate them as needed(read: at the start of it all).
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 02:09 AM   #10
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I'm also one of those lucky fellows getting state tuition for my community college education, parents figured it's just about the best tax money spent so far.

But I also work at a place where a temporary work force is just that. It's a seasonal job during the summer, and the workers are treated like crap (minimum wage everywhere, even management who is part-time or seasonal makes crap (which I am)) while anyone who is full-time is making quite a living. You can tell when they come in and they have very fancy cars, yet the company itself is going bankrupt.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #11
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

I didn't pay for my 1st degree. So at least for a large portion in this thread education is accessible through free tuition.

My second degree however I am STILLLLLL paying 200 a month for. And I didn't even really need it to get by. A pain in the ass when I want to buy a new boil kettle or circulating mash tun but also not bad and reasonably accessible.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #12
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

$200 a month is all you're paying? I think the program I'm looking at will be somewhere in the area of 10-12 thousand for a year.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:25 PM   #13
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

That was financing almost 20k that covered 2 years of school.

Last edited by stray kitten; 01-13-2010 at 10:27 PM.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #14
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Just a correction:

My father is paying 100% of my bill. Like, totally 100% of it. Everything about it.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote