Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-16-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Shits getting old.

Lately, shit has become incredibly old. In fact, a good number of things have become incredibly old. Even more in fact (wut), the more I look back at how things were... shit gets even worse.

Allow me to start with games.

Very few games have ever warranted a sequel... and if they did warrant a sequel then they should be vastly improved upon and not use the exact same formula that they did in the original title. I'll be using two games as examples here.

1. Halo. Woo, yeah. Halo. What an incredible game . Sarcasm aside this game simply screams mediocrity. There was absolutely nothing innovative about the original (health regeneration was already in other FPS games before that), the story was terrible and terribly told, and the game play fringed on the edge of bad.

In reality, I don't see how this game sold well enough to make a Halo 2. Although, I must say, that Halo 2 was much better than the first. It still, though, didn't deserve to be made. Great, I can play what I did in the first but with a higher poly count AND I can dual wield small guns and use a sword? Joy.

Even after Halo 2, I was solidly convinced that there would not be a Halo 3 simply because there was nothing else they could do with the game.

Fuck me. I was wrong.

Halo 3 was terrible. It was ctrl+c ctrl+v of Halo 2 with, again, a higher poly count. The difference is that I can use a spear now and I have these neat little battlefield shits laying on the ground that, really, don't add anything to the game besides make idiots shoot into the shield that was just erected. Rapture.

Thankfully, they've called it quits with the series. Through out its history, we saw the exact same plot unfold 4 different times through 2 characters. The same, boring, uninspired, terrible plot we've seen again and again, year after year, in game after game.

Game #2: Call of Duty.

Yeah, Call of Duty is a great game. Call of Duty 4 is amazing. In fact, it's fucking fantastic. The problem is that it took 2 other games to go from WW2 to slightly in the future.

What. The. Fuck.

CoD1 was great. Probably the best in the series. It was very innovative, introducing the regenerating health that Halo and the infinite number of other FPS/3rd person bore-fests stole that also shortly followed it. It also introduced a few other things, such as fun WW2 realistic DM... but that's not so much innovation as it is them doing a good job on the game as a whole.

Then came CoD2. YES! I COULDN'T WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON ANOTHER WW2 FPS! FUCK. YES!

Except this really wasn't the case at all. As I sit here... staring at my CoD2 box, I wonder why I actually bought it. Sure, I played it... but why didn't I play any of the Medal of Honor games or any of the Brothers in Arms games? There is no reason.

Don't get me wrong, the CoD series is one of the better FPS series out there. There just doesn't need to be a million of them set in WW2 as every other game making company out there will eventually make a WW2 FPS. I've heard Project Hydra is actually going to be the first FPS made by Blizzard. It's also going to be a WW2 FPS.

I just made that last part up, but... surely they'll eventually make a WW2 FPS.

So, then there was CoD3. Another WW2 FPS... this time IT ONLY CAME OUT ON THE CONSOLE! Know why? Because no PC gamer in their right mind would ever want another fucking WW2 FPS in their collection. HOWEVER, all the 20 something gramer (www.screwattack.com for the reference) FPS-tards who love to stare lovingly into the eyes of brown haired, 20-30 something, slightly bearded, slightly rugged pissed off guys that have to save the world from something.

The next thing that has pissed me off recently is the hero choice that most games have chosen. No, I'm not talking about mascots or certain characters... I'm talking about...

Yeah, this guy. Despite what you guys think, he's not original. He's also not anything unique. Lets examine any of the other characters that have similar features.

I'm sure you get the idea. The past two gens have been filled with fucks like that and it's becoming annoying. Where the fuck is the inspiration for characters that are original and don't completely suck dick? I'm getting tired of the countless number of Cloud wannabe fucks in games, the brown haired cunt-waffles that pollute every drop of console and PC gaming, the annoying and absolutely useless cliches we are all filled with every ounce of our gaming lives from 1994 on forward.

Is it so hard to be innovative? Would it fucking hurt to stop making your games/mods so fucking dark, gloomy, and ruined?

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I wonder if anyone would've disliked Half-Life if they'd kept the Space Viking/Space Biker model for Gordon.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Yeah dude, Half-Life 2 totally fucking sucked because Gordon had short, brown hair!

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #4
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Yeah dude, Half-Life 2 totally fucking sucked because Gordon had short, brown hair!
Totally.

Because reading is a valuable tool to understanding what people mean.

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 PM   #5
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
seriously, the experimental physicist turned gun toting action hero genre is so tired.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #6
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
seriously, the experimental physicist turned gun toting action hero genre is so tired.
Another point missed. But good try. Oddly, this is another thing that's getting old. People who go out of their way to miss points to try to make a witty retort that really isn't very witty to begin with because they didn't read what you said.

Look at the faces. If you can't notice a trend then you're part of the demographic that 99% of X-Box 360 games are made for.

Would it fucking hurt to have some dude with blonde hair that doesn't have an infinite number of spikes in his hair? What about a red head. Woah. Yeah, I went there.

Ronald Reagan

Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Totally. Half-Life 2 has got to be one of the least innovative games ever created! Isn't it obvious? Gordon's whole purpose is to be a Cloud wannabe. I mean for fucks sakes HIS HAIR IS MESSY. What is this? He's supposed to be an alien-killing, Combine-fighting MIT physicist--his hair should obviously be combed and neat looking. Get original, Valve!

Last edited by uBeR; 04-17-2008 at 12:00 AM.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:46 PM   #8
Gator-
FF God

Class/Position: Scout O, Medic O, Demo D/O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF 4v4
Affiliations: [milkwood] ( GoodFellas )
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Gator- Send a message via MSN to Gator- Send a message via Yahoo to Gator-
Maybe gaming is not for you? Oh boy. I find most of those games innovative and enjoyable.

Last edited by Gator-; 04-16-2008 at 11:52 PM.
Gator- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #9
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
winnar
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:00 AM   #10
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Seriously. If Valve just made Gordon look like this, the game would have been infinitely better:

Last edited by uBeR; 04-17-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:09 AM   #11
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Credge, you fail yet again.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #12
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Come on guys, this right here is totally innovative:

Last edited by uBeR; 04-17-2008 at 12:22 AM.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #13
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
I disagree whole heartedly. There are very few physical attributes in those characters that are similar as well as a serious lack of characteristics in "personality" in those characters.

There are some similarities but not enough to justify your statements in my opinion. To insult people that disagree the way that you have implies that you can't even handle the possibility that you're wrong.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:23 AM   #14
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Hey guys.....thats not fair.............

Those games may capture your attention for a bit but they get old. I played TFC for like 6 frickin years straight and it never got old. Now there are game that capture your heart but they have no replay value. I am tired as well as games sucking ass and for the most part losing my attention. I shouldnt be stuck playing Oblivion all the time since the new Narauto sucks ass and Command and Conquer is the same old shit. I have no idea what Credge is talking about in hair but since red heads only make up like 2% of the worlds population I would say so what then. Now that picture that Uber posted of Gordon looking kind of gay reminds me that real scientists look like that usally. The frickin skull belt looks way to cool and awesome to me but that doesnt mean I wouldnt wear it to bed while sleeping.

dh

Old 04-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Go outside and play more.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 12:41 AM   #16
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
You may be suprised Innoc..............

but there are some people who prefer that I do not spend a lot of my time outside since I have the habit to swear and scream a lot. I dont have terets but I can be easily agaetateddue to other children in the neighborhood believe in being free and playing their lives away with no career plans in mind. I had my career mapped out when I was 10 years old and I might not have been the coolest and some thought I was odd but god gave me good looks to blend in with the normality of life.

dh

Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 AM   #17
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

Was I the only one who noticed that HL2 and its storyline do not tie in with HL very well at all? Why is it people talk about the deep storyline involved with the series so far? I loved Half-Life. I enjoyed HL2 but every single time they pretend to go back to something that happened in HL as if it were planned for the story way back then I cringe. Why can't they just say "Look HL2 has Gordon in it and you don't have to believe that this black scientist and this scientist with glasses wasn't every other scientist in the original because we didn't know we were going to make a sequel!"

Its like the Matrix trilogy. You can watch the first and see "Hey maybe there will be a sequel." but when you finally see it you know that it wasn't exactly what they were thinking when they made the original.

And EA has killed the C&C series. What the hell? You can already tell RA2 and C&C 3 do not tie in with series very well. Don't even get me started on Kanes Wrath which by the way costs the same amount as C&C 3 even if you buy them in the same package together. Now RA3 is announced yet again running on the same shit engine that General ran on. To top it off most of the new age kiddies think Generals IS a C&C game. My favorite RTS is ruined and I now accept that
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:38 AM   #18
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
And EA has killed the C&C series. What the hell? You can already tell RA2 and C&C 3 do not tie in with series very well. Don't even get me started on Kanes Wrath which by the way costs the same amount as C&C 3 even if you buy them in the same package together. Now RA3 is announced yet again running on the same shit engine that General ran on. To top it off most of the new age kiddies think Generals IS a C&C game. My favorite RTS is ruined and I now accept that
Totally Agreed.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 AM   #19
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I think a sequel done right can be refreshing.

As Credge said, he pretty much believes CoD 1 and CoD 4 to be the best in the series (the former moreso than the latter). 2 & 3 were just cash cows - 4 was good.

There's lots of games that are like this. Usually it's the "get a sequel out every 2 years", and there's rarely innovation.

The game industry, I think, is like any other entertainment industry. Other companies watch and see what works and what sells. Some companies have built their empires on this.

For example, cover. I think it was Rainbox Six that started making a decent cover system. Gears of War, however, was the first title on the 360 that had the cover system. As a result, that game was player a lot and now the cover system is clamored for in a lot of games (even GTA4 is going to use it).

Now let's take a look at Rockstar. Rockstar has done some interesting games (like Bully, Manhunt) which were, IMO, mostly original creations.

The Grand Theft Auto series is built on taking ideas from other games and making them work. One could say that GTA 1 & 2 were heavily inspired by other top-down games like SmashTV.

GTA3 brought the sandbox genre into the spotlight. And its successors? Each have improved upon its successor in many way. Features that flat out didn't work were cut. Ones that did were left in, or refined. GTA4 is the culimination of all of its successors as well as everything Rockstar has learned from other games out there. Short list, they take the free-form driving (games like Driver, Need for Speed, etc.), combat system (Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time), storyline (insert any semi-linear RPG here), etc. etc. and put it into one uber-game. One or two of the features, on their own, would make a good game. GTA4 will combine them into an awesome game because it's done right and everything is integrated well.

Even so, Rockstar is guilty of vendor trash titles (READ: Libery City / Vice City stories).

The worst offender, though, for barely-changed sequels is sports games. I've played only a few, and that was back in the SNES days. (I think I played a hockey game on PS2 for a week.) This includes wrestling games.

I've seen some wrestling games that don't have a create-a-wrestler. This was first in like... what, one of the WWF or WCW games on the 64? How could you make a wrestling game without that?

Similarly, Football/Basketball/Soccer/Baseball games are guilty of Halo-itis. How can you cut a feature that was in a previous game while adding very little? I hope I'm never suckered into buying Roster Update Basketball '08. EA GAMES: IT'S IN THE BANK!

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #20
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Pretty sure Freeman is about as far removed as you can get from a stereotypical hero.

But I'm with you on most of it. Apart from Portal, gaming is getting repetitive.