Old 10-08-2007, 04:47 PM   #61
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
IM PRE-LOADING IT RIGHT NOW! Do we get a beta early, so we can beat TF2: DM?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 05:11 PM   #62
own3r
Custom mapper

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
So the main complaint about Crossover is the main area is a bit too big?

Anything else?
Its too dark and too blue, I can never see blue's sentries in their base as theres so little light or contrast. It can be winter but daylight that would be such an improvement, a lighter sky and lighting in the outside areas would improve contrast a lot with moving players which you need. A lighter (brighter than sky) blue shade would still convey "cold" but it would be less "I cant see anything"!

The same goes with well, the team coloured walls off zero contrast to players so they are almost impossible to see. The lighting of the outside areas needs to be daylight and a sufficiently different colour to the blue and red. Larger interior spaces with less things to get snagged on especially near the front door would be good. To make it better still get rid of the door all together and improve the gameplay flow of this map no end.

The flag room in general is like TFC's and ridiculously easy to defend. This is my biggest gripe with this level, a single player could defend it. Often there will be sentry guns and soldiers so its just impassable and NO FUN AT ALL. At the very least it needs to be a _lot_ taller and wider up near the flag so there's the possibility of being able to dodge.

Opening up the entire rear of the flag room so its less easy to just camp inside would make public play actually enjoyable on this map, to balance this removing the "window" may be necessary.

Last edited by own3r; 10-08-2007 at 05:19 PM.
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #63
Aska

I am in love with the new Dustbowl, only I see maybe 2 or 3 servers playing it, most are only 4 or 5 people. I don't know why but a lot of people are complaining about it. The only gripe I have is the demo's detpack's blast's ability to go through the starting gates and kill people before the round starts. That and a few displacement bugs here and there (most notably at the start of round 2, at the starting gates the displacements at the ramps are sticking up in places). All the other maps though, are fantastic!

Old 10-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #64
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Since there's 4 pages of this already, I don't know if it's been mentioned.

But on Crossover2 the elevator from the pit to the top is very aggrevating. It only supports 1 person easily. The 2nd person always has to try and position himself on top or hug too closely.

If it was designed for only 1 person then you should only let 1 person fit into it, because a 2nd person will always try and come and jump on at the last minute. Bonk his head on the roof, not letting us go up. Then we both sit there until the top door shuts and the elevator has gone through it's timed sequence.

Or a single person alone can bonk his head if he's not perfectly centered.

I'd like to see either:

a) The elevator be enlarged a bit to fit up to 3-4 people comfortabley
b) Speed the elevator movement up so if you fail to get to the top the first time it's not such a big deal.

or c) Both (but one or the other is fine)

Cheers,
Hammock
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 09:12 PM   #65
Imbrifer
Religious Stamp Machine
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Imbrifer
I agree with y'all about 2morforever, it is pretty cramped with more than 14 players. It seems like Well/SD2/Aardvark/etc. work well with lots of people, whereas 2morforever/monkey/push/etc. work with a medium amount. I suppose its really up to the server administrators what type of server they want to run

Most of the issues brought up here have been mentioned to the map makers, but I'll point some of 'em in this direction to see what people have to say about their maps. I haven't seen some of these before, and there are many good ppints. There are some things about the official maps that irritate me as well (spawn infecting/blasting most of all) and we'd like to prevent that nastiness from happening, fo' sho'

Feed me cats.
Imbrifer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #66
mistermojo
the pumps dont work

2morforever is really really tiny

i mean the fr is smaller than the spawn
mistermojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #67
Cosides

Cornfield: excellent port/remake !

Dustbowl: my all time favourite TFC map but I hate it now. WAAAAAY too much details and some minor but annoying bugs. The map's just not the same anymore
Cosides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 10:17 AM   #68
Beavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosides
WAAAAAY too much details....
Agreed, while it is excellently detailed and a lot of effort was put in....It's just not worth the performance hit. Most people still have a 6600GT according to Valve's stats. FF mappers should take this fact into account!

One way to kill off FF quickly is to make a lot of people achieve 10fps on maps!
Beavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 01:59 PM   #69
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
So the main complaint about Crossover is the main area is a bit too big?

Anything else?
The water route should have a grate.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:01 PM   #70
Nurdbot

Speaking of Elevators, they really need a button to use them for most maps because sometimes it really is fiddily to press e over one on the ground (example, Shutdown 2 Flag Room to Lobby Elevator) to get it back up. Sometimes this results in me not triggering it and having to move to a good position which results in me falling off and breaking my guys ankles.
Nurdbot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #71
cunnelatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
The water route should have a grate.
I tried to reseal the grate on well and it didn't work, so it's pretty pointless unless you can do that
cunnelatio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #72
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunnelatio
I tried to reseal the grate on well and it didn't work, so it's pretty pointless unless you can do that
Fix that. Add grate.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #73
Narbleh

The only big general design issue I have lags the hell out of my video card (7800 GS)... too many curves! It seems every map (especially well) is full of seemingly useless curved walls, floors, and ceilings. It makes it feel rather Quake 3-ish in some parts, and doesn't add much visually.

More specific issues:
* the lift speed in the side entrance to the shutdown flagroom. It goes so slow that it's useless as an alternative route to surprise enemy offense.
* the strange uber-curved redesign of the lobby in crossover2. I'm always falling down the middle.
* the respawn hole in crossover2 that lets people camp from or spam the spawn
* the tops of the ladders outside on shutdown. If you're trying to get snipers who are also on the catwalks, it's much harder now that you don't have any actual cover, but have to pop up out of the ladder shaft.

I'll think of more I'm sure

It's still a lot of fun though guys!

Old 10-10-2007, 07:09 PM   #74
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
the curvy walls dont give me a performce hit.
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #75
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
2morforever - health, ammo, and armor.

I understand if you want to keep armor seperate to provide a dilemma of attacking immediately or waiting for armor, but they need to be reorganized, and make the healthkits heal to a useful degree. I'd rather just have full bags w/ health and armor like most other maps.

Old 10-11-2007, 07:49 AM   #76
A1win
Nutcracker

Send a message via MSN to A1win
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
2morforever - health, ammo, and armor.

I understand if you want to keep armor seperate to provide a dilemma of attacking immediately or waiting for armor, but they need to be reorganized, and make the healthkits heal to a useful degree. I'd rather just have full bags w/ health and armor like most other maps.
We also don't respawn with full armor in the map, and sometimes need to wait like 10 seconds for an armor pack to respawn before we can leave the spawn with full armor.
A1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #77
Custos

2Morforever:
I have huge lag, or FPS drop in and around flagroom. I say lag because my net_graph don't actually indicate a lower fps than normally but that's what it feels like. Normal for me is 50-70 fps inside a small-ish space like that. But this feels like 3 fps on an empty server.
Somebody said it might be the elevator but i'm pretty sure its the big windows in the cealing because it's in the exact moment when they are in sight that the lag starts.

Guess i should take this to technical support forum...

Well: I like the stylish design even though it's kind of hard to not get stuck on some of the corners. Which can get pretty frustrating.

Aardvark:
Everything is basically perfect on this map, down to the amount of health that the ramp bag gives and size of the SG ledges in FR.
Only thing i find annoying is that something (possibly the huge forcefield/window) makes everything happening in FD/ramp area sounds really loud in flagroom.

SD2
:
Plays fucking great. Maybe the lift needs just a little speed boost but i think it's a good thing that it's slow.
Custos is offline   Reply With Quote