Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
PCI express 2.0

My friend was going to let me borrow his 4850X2

But it didnt work. I put in a new PSU, it worked fine. We turned it on. it wouldnt boot. the power would go on, but the video card's fans would keep going on and off. i put on the onboard for a temp solution, it booted up fine.

i then disabled the drivers for my onboard (does it share driver with my 8800? my onboard is a geforce 7050NV or something. anyways i hit Disable, and my friend said you didnt need to uninstall the drivers, i didnt belive that you only needed to disable not uninstall)

restarted, tried again. the fans just went on and off. the computer beeped, but the BIOS didnt show up at all. I have a PCI Express x16, and i assume 1.1.

after a while, we kinda gave up, and he blamed it on my 1.1 not being 2.0

i was almost certain than 2.0 cards are backward compatible. He said they were, but you needed to put it in 1.1 'mode' through the video card's BIOS (video cards have BIOS-type things now? news to me.)

so, how do i get this thing to work? Should i totally uninstall my geforce/nvidia drivers? Would that prevent the radeon from even booting the computer?
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
greenday5494
D&A Member

basically, how do i get a radeon 4850X2 (2GB) working in my computer. The computer doesnt even boot, the card just keep spinning up and down

Old 05-07-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Try reinstalling Firefox?
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Try reinstalling Firefox?
dude seriously. do you even know how old that is. it's not funny anymore. it never WAS funny.

could someone just actually help me

Old 05-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Actually, it is still pretty hilarious
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
Drivers have nothing to do with bootup issues. You can nvidia drivers installed and put an ati card in. The computer should still boot. The onboard card should have nothing to do with it either. The bios should detect the pci-e card and automatically disable the onboard. Either the video card is bad, or something else is going on. Also, does the video card have a power plug on it? If so, do you have a power cable plugged into it?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #7
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Is everything plugged in correctly, how many times did the computer beep, and how long were the beeps(short or long)? Do you know what the beeps mean(I think you should, not what the specific set of beeps mean, but what the computer beeping on start up means)? Are you sure the card should be going in there, does it fit in the slot? Did anything break when you put it in? Is the card physically intact? If you take it out of your machine, does it start up again?

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 AM   #8
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Have you attempted to boot into safe mode? Have you checked around your BIOS at all?

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #9
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
Is everything plugged in correctly, how many times did the computer beep, and how long were the beeps(short or long)? Do you know what the beeps mean(I think you should, not what the specific set of beeps mean, but what the computer beeping on start up means)? Are you sure the card should be going in there, does it fit in the slot? Did anything break when you put it in? Is the card physically intact? If you take it out of your machine, does it start up again?
Everything works normally. But when we hook up the card (like the power, then to the moniter, it's seated properly im pretty sure) the fans on it keep repeatedly speed up and down. Not even the BIOS on the computer shows up at all. i know what beeps mean, and when it beeps, it beeps normally (one short beep at start up). But, sometimes it does not. Sometimes it just will not beep, my power button light will flash, and the video card will rev up and down. but then i held down the power, and then it beeped, and the video card stopped revving, but nothing would show up on screen (not even BIOS)

It shows up and boots properly when we use either the onboard or my 8800GT. It works perfectly fine without the card in.
It fits into the slot fine, and nothing cracks or breaks (if i did i would've flipped lol. im posting from the same computer with the problem, albeit without the radeon 4850X2)

I didnt see it for myself, but my friend said the card's lights were on (never seen light on a card myself) and that there was a red error light on the motherboard.
At that point my sister's hot friends walked in and i wanted to get the nerdy shit out. He then blamed it on my PCI Express slot not being 2.0 (which i DO know that PCI-E 2.0 cards are totally backwards compatible, but he said that you needed to go into the card's BIOS, which once again, is news to me)

i think there may be miscommunication from my friend and to me.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #10
greenday5494
D&A Member

damn edit button...

thanks to all those who actually attempted to help

Old 05-08-2009, 02:24 AM   #11
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Just to check...

You have at least a 550W power supply?

I believe that the 4850x2 requires 2 power connections similar to my 4870.

I think I also read that it requires both an 8pin and 6pin PCI-E power connector, but I could be wrong on that.

Either way, make sure you connect both power connections on the card.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 03:08 AM   #12
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
Just to check...

You have at least a 550W power supply?

I believe that the 4850x2 requires 2 power connections similar to my 4870.

I think I also read that it requires both an 8pin and 6pin PCI-E power connector, but I could be wrong on that.

Either way, make sure you connect both power connections on the card.
yep, he even brought over his PSU.

Old 05-08-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Just to recap what's been already said...if it's not booting the drivers have nothing to do with it. What you're describing is a hardware problem of some sort... Can you put that card back into your friends computer and check to make sure that the card is still functional? If your system works fine with the onboard or your old Nvidia then you know there's either a failure with the ATi or a compatibility/install issue. If you're sure that the card is properly seated and is making good contact with the slot then it's the first two.

BTW, what motherboard are you plugging this into? (model#?)

edit: wait...when you say you disabled the "drivers" for the onboard...did you actually disable the onboard GPU? If not you might see if there's a jumper on motherboard to disable onboard video.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 04:35 AM   #14
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
You can't modify a video cards bios. You can flash the firmware, but that's probably it, and even then, flashing it is pushing it. It sounds like you friend doesn't know as much as he pretends to about computers. Here's a question though. You're 8800gt - Is it a 2.0 card? I ask only because I still run AGP and haven't kept tabs on PCI-E. That's my fault. If it is, your friends card is probably no good. Make him put it back in his PC and prove it works. If it does, well, you're sol most likely.

*edit*

Dammit Innoc. You beat me to my own thoughts and did it when I wasn't looking!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 04:56 AM   #15
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
You can't modify a video cards bios. You can flash the firmware, but that's probably it, and even then, flashing it is pushing it. It sounds like you friend doesn't know as much as he pretends to about computers. Here's a question though. You're 8800gt - Is it a 2.0 card? I ask only because I still run AGP and haven't kept tabs on PCI-E. That's my fault. If it is, your friends card is probably no good. Make him put it back in his PC and prove it works. If it does, well, you're sol most likely.

*edit*

Dammit Innoc. You beat me to my own thoughts and did it when I wasn't looking!!
3 minutes apart...guaranteed you were typing yours as I was posting mine!
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
My guess is its a power or heat issue that its going down that fast. Voltage a distant third.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
greenday5494
D&A Member

well, the reason he is letting me borrow it is because his comp's broke. he said his dad threw his comp.... or something. but his vid card CPU and PSU were intact. And i knew that it should automatically downclock itself if it's a 2.0 card on a 1.1 slot. and my 8800GT i think (kinda a guess here) is a 2.0, and im not 100 percent sure about my slot. The card GETS power, evident by the fans spinning up and down. also, he randomly takes off his 4850X2's fans (while off ofc) too look at the GPUs themselves for some reason. I think that would fuck with the thermal paste, no?

anyways, thanks for the help.

and i know that it's not true that you need to 'enable' 1.1 mode on the card for it to work.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenday5494 View Post
well, the reason he is letting me borrow it is because his comp's broke. he said his dad threw his comp.... or something. but his vid card CPU and PSU were intact. And i knew that it should automatically downclock itself if it's a 2.0 card on a 1.1 slot. and my 8800GT i think (kinda a guess here) is a 2.0, and im not 100 percent sure about my slot. The card GETS power, evident by the fans spinning up and down. also, he randomly takes off his 4850X2's fans (while off ofc) too look at the GPUs themselves for some reason. I think that would fuck with the thermal paste, no?

anyways, thanks for the help.

and i know that it's not true that you need to 'enable' 1.1 mode on the card for it to work.
Wait, wait, wait. His dad allegedly threw his computer? If that's true, and the card isn't working, I'd start to suspect some hardware failure. If you have a spare computer lying around, that you know is good, try the video card in it. If it works, you're probably SOL, at least for now, and if it doesn't, then we know it's not just your computer.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 PM   #19
greenday5494
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
Wait, wait, wait. His dad allegedly threw his computer? If that's true, and the card isn't working, I'd start to suspect some hardware failure. If you have a spare computer lying around, that you know is good, try the video card in it. If it works, you're probably SOL, at least for now, and if it doesn't, then we know it's not just your computer.
i was thinking that in the back of my head the whole time but didnt want to say anything. it doesnt look 'beat up' at all, actually it looks brand-new

but the idiot brought it in his locker in school. bad for 2 reasons

1. our school is full of scumbags and losers. Of course if they even saw a 4850X2, they wouldnt know what it was, but i wouldnt bring it out ANY where.

2. lockers are made of metal

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM   #20
BlackHoleSon
Retired FF Staff

There is a shit ton of text so im sorry i read what i could, so i do not know if this has been mentioned.

The Sapphire HD 4850 x2 (if its this one anyway: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102809 )

needs two power connectors, one is a 6-pin and the other is a 6+2 pin.

Do you have both of those connectors on your power supply, and are they plugged in correctly?