Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #1
C-Aim
Better than Never

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Suicide when infected = enemy kill on scroll?

I wasn't sure where to put this, I don't know of it was bug or not but I want to know what's up.

I was playing Spy on Aardvark and a Medic infected me. After I killed him I just used console to kill myself b/c my run was totally screwed and I didn't want to wait to die; but it showed the Medic killing me with a knife on the death scroll.

Is this intended? I never noticed anything like that before, but if that is how it works now then IMO that's awesome (especially if the Medic still gets the kill).
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 02:20 PM   #2
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Yeah if you do yourself in (Mike Strutter was not involved when you got whacked) while infected, the medic gets the kill. If it showed the knife icon then that's probably a bug. It should show the med's infection icon.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
Gigiya

For me, it has shown the infected icon, the shotgun icon, and super shotgun icons.
Gigiya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 04:39 PM   #4
Caspar

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
tbh, I always thought it was a bit stupid that you could suicide when infected - the kill command, anyway (fair game if they blow themselves up).

Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #5
JactusCack

Its a shame that people once infected go for a suicide mission to the enemy base, usually involving spam it just ends up someone else gets the kill.
JactusCack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
Reynolds-Wrap

The infection thing reminds me of that Jason Statham movie, Crank... You know you're gonna die but you want to do as much damage to the other guys before it kills you. My general rule is if I'm in my base or on my side of the midfield I just kill myself, but if I'm past the threshold on the midfield I go berzerker! Usually with MIRV and pipespam (not that I don't do that already anyway).

Old 09-23-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
NoComply

I never use the suicide option. I figure that infection is part of the game and if my team isn't properly taking care of it, then I'll just have to try and kill as many people as I can before I go down.
NoComply is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Class/Position: Sniper, Defensive
Gametype: Capture Point
Affiliations: Unguilded
Send a message via AIM to Thor-Stryker Send a message via Yahoo to Thor-Stryker
I'd spam away, medics are offense, they aren't going to come heal you when theres a flag to be had.
Thor-Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
jacko87

I think the medic should still get the kill as well. Better yet, medics could have another score apart from kills and deaths like "suicides caused"

Old 09-24-2007, 05:20 AM   #10
Mapex

Sort of related, but if you die to burning from the IC, it shows it that you suicided with the IC, taking the kill away from the Pyro who shot you. If the Pyro burns you with the Flamethrower or Napalm grenades, those work properly, however.
Mapex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 AM   #11
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
that one is a known bug mapex
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
be_

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
That is a very cool thing. Thanks. If there's no medic around, I usually grenade/rocket myself. It's quicker. If I am in the enemy base, I will keep trucking until it kills me. I don't kill myself to take points away from the med, I just do it when there are no meds around me so I'm not a dying defender and so I don't infect anyone.
be_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
If there isn't a medic nearby when i'm infected, I'll suicide.
Why? Simply because I don't want another person "getting a point" from me, that's all

Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
IvaQuaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
If there isn't a medic nearby when i'm infected, I'll suicide.
Why? Simply because I don't want another person "getting a point" from me, that's all
that's tantamount to suiciding right before someone shoots the last 10 or 15 hit points out of you, which is completely.. i don't know ? somebody help me out with a good word here.
IvaQuaL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 05:58 PM   #15
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvaQuaL
that's tantamount to suiciding right before someone shoots the last 10 or 15 hit points out of you, which is completely.. i don't know ? somebody help me out with a good word here.
Actually its not, because infection can be spread as well as you can't run away from it. Its the one of the most potent weapons in the game, especially considering its combined with one of the fastest classes in the game. Why spy when you can infect and get the same results if not better.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
IvaQuaL

i could kind of see your point if it was about suiciding when infected if you're like playing D around your respawn which is good grounds for an infection spreading but kenny specifically stated that it was to 'steal' the kill, and even then you still shouldn't suicide.

either get a medic from your team to heal you, go somewhere less populated, go to the enemy base to try and spread it back, get killed.. there are countless options. you seem to treat infection as annoying and overpowered, which is besides the point. the game is a whole, you can't just take what you like and circumvent the little bits and pieces that you find annoying.

i admit it's kind of a gray line. in my opinion the kill command should only be used in cases like being stuck in world geometry. there is wanting to change class right away but it should instead be tackled by allowing people to change class in their respawn, perhaps with stuff like func_changeclass brushes. this is besides the point anyway.

you've been infected, deal with it without bumming an enemy medic's perfectly valid infection away.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #17
Thor-Stryker
Spybox

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvaQuaL
i could kind of see your point if it was about suiciding when infected if you're like playing D around your respawn which is good grounds for an infection spreading but kenny specifically stated that it was to 'steal' the kill, and even then you still shouldn't suicide.

either get a medic from your team to heal you, go somewhere less populated, go to the enemy base to try and spread it back, get killed.. there are countless options. you seem to treat infection as annoying and overpowered, which is besides the point. the game is a whole, you can't just take what you like and circumvent the little bits and pieces that you find annoying.

i admit it's kind of a gray line. in my opinion the kill command should only be used in cases like being stuck in world geometry. there is wanting to change class right away but it should instead be tackled by allowing people to change class in their respawn, perhaps with stuff like func_changeclass brushes. this is besides the point anyway.

you've been infected, deal with it without bumming an enemy medic's perfectly valid infection away.
The problem is that medic are an offensive class. The only time you could get an Heal to prevent your death, would be standing right next to the respawn door waiting for the medic to respawn, which would of course lead others to get infected.

And even if his infection is valid, the fact that the medic gets one-touch kills and has much more maneuverability than a spy makes him better at causing havok in a base.

But its hard to get through the pro-medic babble, I just like class balance thats all.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM   #18
IvaQuaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor-Stryker
The problem is that medic are an offensive class. The only time you could get an Heal to prevent your death, would be standing right next to the respawn door waiting for the medic to respawn, which would of course lead others to get infected.
So be it ! No one said medics should never care about what happens in the base. I agree that they are mostly an offensive class but there is no rule that states "defense players die of infections because medics can't come into the base and heal them". As I said, if this what happens, let it, or ask for medics to come heal infections. The whole point of infecting enemy D is it having to deal with it !
Quote:
And even if his infection is valid, the fact that the medic gets one-touch kills and has much more maneuverability than a spy makes him better at causing havok in a base.
This is besides the point. As I said, if you don't like something in the game, though luck. I don't really get your point, is it "yes but medics are too powerful" ? If you want to make a point for nerfing infections, or that spies are less powerful than medics, do it, but then it would be about gameplay balance and not suiciding to steal valid frags from people.

Please don't circumvent parts of gameplay you don't like with cheap tactics. It's a lot like someone wanting to script an assault cannon heatless autofire. You may find the overheating annoying but it doesn't give you the right to cheat out of it. You may find infections annoying but it doesn't give you the right to punish the medic that went through the trouble of infecting you (something that is class has the ability to) for it.

The point that the medic is too powerful is not acceptable. Everyone has to play the same game and deal with the same issues, as unfair as they may be. He infected you, hoping to weaken/kill you and possibly have it pass on to other teammates and you just respawn ? I can't understand how anyone can find this acceptable.
Quote:
But its hard to get through the pro-medic babble, I just like class balance thats all.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean with this. Are you implying I am some kind of "medic fanboy" and just want it to be strong as opposed to you, the white knight of game balance ? Please.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #19
C-Aim
Better than Never

Did any of you even read this thread... or even the first post for that matter? It doesn't matter if you suicide anymore as the medic gets the point. In fact, suiciding just guarantees they get the credit for the kill, which most medics would be happy to get if they infected you as an afterthought.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2007, 07:27 PM   #20
IvaQuaL

That's only a part of it, suiciding also prevents the possibility that you infect other teammates.