Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Smgzor

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Can we promote this game, please? Someone has to do it.

Any way you can possibly think of, promote this game please! It deserves a lot more and it would be great to see it flourish. If you're playing the TF2 Beta, tell everyone there, if you dont like TF2, then go spam every server with a detailed FF message. Post anywhere, everywhere. Let's get more players in this game. It's frustrating to see valve's massive marketing make tf2 succeed, and to see this game which is deserving of at least equal recognition, get far less.

Post suggestions here, and go out and do them.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:14 AM   #2
Jifcuits

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
When I've played tf2 I've sang football chants that have fortress forever in them and some people have actually said things like 'hey that sounds cool I'll check that out *zoom zoom zoom*,' other people have said things like 'shut the fuck up you overgrown penguin turd'
Jifcuits is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #3
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Promote it for sure, but please don't do it in an annoying way. Picture playing in an FF server and witnessing a TF2 fan spamming binds everywhere about how TF2 rules. It wouldn't make you want to play it; it'd make you want to hit him in the face with a shovel!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
SaY goOdNIght

I'm sure way more ppl would play FF if it wasnt so choppy in the heat of battle.

Standing idle or even just running around the diff maps very nice but when things get hot and heavy and I dm in a populated area its all hit and miss, I just guess where to shoot and hope for the best.

Ive read all the .cfg posts and tried everything possible to get fps up but still frustrated in battle.
SaY goOdNIght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
my settings if anyone wants

FF is completely smooth for me except on a couple of maps (e.g. 22 ppl spamming dustbowl is little framey [drops to about 30/40fps at worst times] but it's still perfectly playable and great fun tho, and I'm sure it will all be fine when I get a new gfx card [only got a 6600 atm]). If you know what you're doing with configs then you're welcome to give my settings a try:

http://www.nikie.org/tf.pickup/caes_...][1].5.zip
READ CAESIUM.CFG PROPERLY AND DO AS IT SAYS
and try FF on defaults first... this is just how i like it...
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2007, 11:45 AM   #6
LeMaltor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaY goOdNIght
I'm sure way more ppl would play FF if it wasnt so choppy in the heat of battle.

Standing idle or even just running around the diff maps very nice but when things get hot and heavy and I dm in a populated area its all hit and miss, I just guess where to shoot and hope for the best.

Ive read all the .cfg posts and tried everything possible to get fps up but still frustrated in battle.
That's your computer, not FF Turned AA + AF off, tried a lower res? shutdown background programs? Not seen my fps move off 60 lol

Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 AM   #7
okenora

Quote:
it'd make you want to hit him in the face with a shovel!
Ironic Defrag ?? Cos if you play sol in TF2 thats exactly what you can do

Agreed with OP though, gameplay wise this game is as good/better than TF2 and potential wise it is way ahead of TF2 but on the promotion front it has not (could not) be expected to compete with the might of a multi million dollar games company.

Having said that FF really needs to get out there and be noticed. i presume that there will be a relatively quick patch released to fix some of the bugs that have been highlighted after the release and that would be a great time to push it with some of the gaming and fortress oriented sites. I would bet that the Valve PR department outsizes the coders department by quite a bit.....

I would bet that the Valve PR department outsizes the Valve coders by quite a bit.....

There are many easy and cheap/free ways of promoting a game and FF really needs to get a team together with the enthusiasm and dedication to exploit as many of these ways as possible.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:20 AM   #8
Johnny Mullet
Fear the Mullet!

Send a message via MSN to Johnny Mullet
I am pretty good at advertising in ways not to piss people off or to seem like a spammer. I have been getting the word out about Fortress Forever and will continue to do so just like I did for Enemy Territory Fortress for the last 2 years.

Note the subliminal advert
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Yes, i mentioned in another post, but i'm currently trying to find good custom map makers for warcraft3, so that ff_dustbowl can be ported as a wc3 map.

And if that works well, perhaps starcraft also.

And when starcraft 2 comes out, on that as well.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 02:50 AM   #10
Hand_O_Death
www.suicidesoldiers.net

Found a funny little quirk

I just found while messing around on Steam, that the Popular Mods section is missing a very popular Mod (Hint: it's this one) See for yourself.

http://storefront.steampowered.com/v...1&cc=US&skin=3

What do you think the chances are of getting FF on that list while they are trying to sell TF2?
Hand_O_Death is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #11
barronofhellion

i have to agree with this whole thread, tonight i went to get my couple of games in and was looking at the server list and going wtf where is everybody... same amount of servers but they were all looking thin... so i plaied my few games . and when i came out i went to the steam page for ff , and low and behold, everybody was playing tf2, its funny though really how there was soo many people here and it was great then tf2 came out and everybody just went wha new game oooo and pooof, hell i see more guests on the forum now then i do members.. its only like 20 or so
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 04:40 AM   #12
Andever

Allow me to shamelessly plug

DYSTOPIA:An amazing and beautiful Half Life 2 Modification featuring futuristic Weapons, customizable character powerups, and the ability to enter cyberspace and hack mission objectives.

http://www.dystopia-game.com/

Thanks!

Old 09-20-2007, 07:28 AM   #13
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
i have to agree with this whole thread, tonight i went to get my couple of games in and was looking at the server list and going wtf where is everybody... same amount of servers but they were all looking thin... so i plaied my few games . and when i came out i went to the steam page for ff , and low and behold, everybody was playing tf2, its funny though really how there was soo many people here and it was great then tf2 came out and everybody just went wha new game oooo and pooof, hell i see more guests on the forum now then i do members.. its only like 20 or so
Is your argument that long-time FF forum members are playing TF2? Check out the "TF2 impression" threads.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #14
5chaap2k
XS4ALL Games

just spread the word amongst ppl u know and post on community websites and forums

examples:
http://coopwarfare.fearmaps.com/modu...iewtopic&t=305
http://games.xs4all.nl
5chaap2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
NoPriz

why doesnt someone try the most obvious thing.

MYSPACE lol

im sure you can spread a crap load of information about Fortress Forever there,ive also made a post about it on the emuparadise forums and people have got interested. Also included a plug of FF on a FortressForever clip i uploaded to youtube
NoPriz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #16
Concave

Yeah, I love this game but it already seems about dead. There is not a single full server in the US right now. As much as I dislike TF2 and would prefer to play FF, if the community all goes to TF2, I guess I will have to as well because it's no fun to play in half empty servers.
Concave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #17
Teh Hwoling Manz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Teh Hwoling Manz
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPriz
MYSPACE lol
http://myspace.com/fortressforever
Teh Hwoling Manz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #18
groovyf
In the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concave
Yeah, I love this game but it already seems about dead. There is not a single full server in the US right now. As much as I dislike TF2 and would prefer to play FF, if the community all goes to TF2, I guess I will have to as well because it's no fun to play in half empty servers.
By my calculations it's between 8am and 5am US time when you posted. Surely people are in bed/working?
groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Hwoling Manz
Someone should at least copy the front page news into the blog... perhaps the dev journals as well.

Use the bulletins to announce things like patches, map packs, videos, etc. - anything important to the community.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2007, 04:08 PM   #20
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defrag
Promote it for sure, but please don't do it in an annoying way. Picture playing in an FF server and witnessing a TF2 fan spamming binds everywhere about how TF2 rules. It wouldn't make you want to play it; it'd make you want to hit him in the face with a shovel!
Then I'd swap to solly in TF2 and hit the guy in the face with the shovel!