Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 PM   #1
BliTzKriTz

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Tommy Gun?

Why is there an unused Tommy Gun in the game? When going through and messing with weapon-specific crosshairs I seen it's name, and a quick search on the web pointed me to the wiki with an entire comprehensive page on it. According to the FF wiki it's supposed to be used by the Civilian "once he finds it". What exactly is it's purpose...? It seems to be a hitscan nailgun with more recoil telling from the stats on the wiki, and with how weak and slow the Civilian is I doubt it would even make a difference to give him a gun like this.
BliTzKriTz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2015, 11:30 PM   #2
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
It has no real purpose; the early devs just thought it'd be a fun addition. However, it didn't get its animations finished before the initial release, so it was never added to the game.

Eventually, the missing animations were created, but it still hasn't been added to the civilian because it completely breaks all of the existing gametypes that the civilian is used in (for example, civilian with a tommygun on waterpolo or hunted means 1-hit kills from across the map).

It'd be possible to add it to the civilian and then remove it on any maps that it would break, but I'm not sure how much benefit it'd have overall anyway. So it's basically just an unused easter egg at this point.

EDIT: If you want to try it ingame, you can use the command 'give ff_weapon_tommygun' in console (needs sv_cheats 1).

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 08-12-2015 at 11:32 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #3
BliTzKriTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
It'd be possible to add it to the civilian and then remove it on any maps that it would break, but I'm not sure how much benefit it'd have overall anyway. So it's basically just an unused easter egg at this point.
Meh, maybe buff the damage and do this, then enable Civilian on all maps. The Steam page does advertise "10 Classes" after all, and honestly it annoys me to always have that grayed out button for him in class selection. Also, having him in the class selection menu but always grayed out like that could possibly confuse some new players.

Last edited by BliTzKriTz; 08-12-2015 at 11:39 PM.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #4
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BliTzKriTz View Post
Meh, maybe buff the damage and do this, then enable Civilian on all maps. The Steam page does advertise "10 Classes" after all, and honestly it annoys me to always have that grayed out button for him in class selection. Also, having him in the class selection menu but always grayed out like that could possibly confuse some new players.
It actually says, '10 Classes (9 + Civilian)', but besides that point, the civilian is only playable on waterpolo and hunted; and that's because they were designed around him. Currently, it brings nothing to the table. So upping his damage and giving him the tommygun would still make him a worthless class.

I also don't see how it confuses players, it's disabled, meaning not playable on that map. Same action happens on servers that have class limits. I'm guessing that annoys you to?
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2015, 01:14 AM   #5
BliTzKriTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
It actually says, '10 Classes (9 + Civilian)', but besides that point, the civilian is only playable on waterpolo and hunted; and that's because they were designed around him. Currently, it brings nothing to the table. So upping his damage and giving him the tommygun would still make him a worthless class.

I also don't see how it confuses players, it's disabled, meaning not playable on that map. Same action happens on servers that have class limits. I'm guessing that annoys you to?
It just makes it more confusing to say 9+Civilian. What does that even mean?

Also, yes class limits annoy me. Build the map around the classes, not the other way around. Good maps do not require any restrictions on the classes, and good players put up with classes they dislike and learn to deal with them more effectively (and if they can't, it's the devs' fault, and it needs to be fixed).

Old 08-13-2015, 05:07 AM   #6
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
It just makes it more confusing to say 9+Civilian. What does that even mean?

Also, yes class limits annoy me. Build the map around the classes, not the other way around. Good maps do not require any restrictions on the classes, and good players put up with classes they dislike and learn to deal with them more effectively (and if they can't, it's the devs' fault, and it needs to be fixed).
It's not that the civilian would be a problematic class, that players would have to learn to "deal with", on certain maps. It's the fact that on all but like 2 maps the civ would be completely useless. He'd provide no interesting interactions with the other classes and have no specific role. Not only would he have no role, but he'd be exponentially worse at every role compared to the classes intended for them.

You can't just add the civ to the rest of the game just because he's there. That's bad game design. I mean we could also add parachuting dogs and playable vending machines. But what does that actually add to the game, how does that enhance player interactions.

The civ has just always been more of an objective than a class. He was made for a specific game mode back in tfc.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:39 AM   #7
BliTzKriTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
It's not that the civilian would be a problematic class, that players would have to learn to "deal with", on certain maps. It's the fact that on all but like 2 maps the civ would be completely useless. He'd provide no interesting interactions with the other classes and have no specific role. Not only would he have no role, but he'd be exponentially worse at every role compared to the classes intended for them.

You can't just add the civ to the rest of the game just because he's there. That's bad game design. I mean we could also add parachuting dogs and playable vending machines. But what does that actually add to the game, how does that enhance player interactions.

The civ has just always been more of an objective than a class. He was made for a specific game mode back in tfc.
I don't think I was clear, that rant was more about the ability to disable classes on certain maps in general than anything.

Old 08-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #8
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
When parachuting dogs will out?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
I don't think I was clear, that rant was more about the ability to disable classes on certain maps in general than anything.
I realized that, but those are still all the reasons why civ won't see play in regular maps. He's poop, has no role, and was made for a very specific reason back in tfc.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
While we're on the subject. The Civi's umbrella could use a buff. It should act as a parachute for the civi with right-click action, giving him temporary low gravity.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2015, 06:59 PM   #11
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Doing this would break a lot of maps, there is nothing wrong with having the ability to disable classes on maps.

Example : Having a sniper on a rjumping map makes ZERO sense.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2015, 08:41 PM   #12
AirTrek
Freedom of Movement

Gametype: Attack and Defend
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
parachuting dogs 2015!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AirTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2015, 01:34 AM   #13
BliTzKriTz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
there is nothing wrong with having the ability to disable classes on maps.

Example : Having a sniper on a rjumping map makes ZERO sense.
You still do not seem to understand. I wasn't even thinking of any maps like that when I said what I said.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:14 AM   #14
Fat-Suzy
Server Owner

Class/Position: Engineer / Heavy.
Affiliations: {TALOS}
Posts Rated Helpful 75 Times

+1
Fat-Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote

4 members found this post helpful.