Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 05-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
o_bokko

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Now really, nitpicking about another person's typing habit is the same as an American nitpicking about accents when it's an individual's second language. Maturity, anyone? I have it in a jar.
No, it's not even remotely the same thing.
I asked people nicely to please start using BBCode earlier on this thread, this 'nitpicking' was in response to spork's post. (where he's basically labelling everyone annoyed by _this_ as geeks/newbies)

Why use underscores when there's simple ways of formatting your text? Refusing to adapt to new standards and arrogance seems to be the way to go! Preaching about your oldschool messageboard skills really puts some people in a mature spot, doesn't it?

Quote:
TFC is six years old. I don't care if you still like it, quit playing it.
Underscores were used to mark emphasis when there were no ways of formatting as in bold, italic, underlined text. There are now, so please stop using underscores just because you like it.
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
o_sp0rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
Quote:
Now really, nitpicking about another person's typing habit is the same as an American nitpicking about accents when it's an individual's second language. Maturity, anyone? I have it in a jar.
No, it's not even remotely the same thing.
I asked people nicely to please start using BBCode earlier on this thread, this 'nitpicking' was in response to spork's post. (where he's basically labelling everyone annoyed by _this_ as geeks/newbies)

Why use underscores when there's simple ways of formatting your text? Refusing to adapt to new standards and arrogance seems to be the way to go! Preaching about your oldschool messageboard skills really puts some people in a mature spot, doesn't it?

Quote:
TFC is six years old. I don't care if you still like it, quit playing it.
Underscores were used to mark emphasis when there were no ways of formatting as in bold, italic, underlined text. There are now, so please stop using underscores just because you like it.
This isn't really the thread or the forum to discuss this, but my analogy still stands. There are new adaptations of TFC that expand and remove some of the limitations that the HL mod has, but most people on this forum still stick with TFC. The point is you don't always have to change how you do something when new technology comes along to permit you to do it in a different or more efficient way. I personally don't use underscores to emphasize things, but I think if someone wants to use them, they have the right to.

I'm not going to reply to anything else regarding typing habits in this thread, because it's already way off topic, I just wanted to say my piece.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 02:06 PM   #3
o_qui

This has to be the worlds most pointless thread
o_qui is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 02:20 PM   #4
o_someoldguy

/on old_dood_soapbox

Other than being flame-free, there are no rules on these boards regarding using/not using BBC codes, just as there are no rules regarding utilizing (utilising) spell-checkers, eliminating 1337-speak, nor forbid the use of AIM text message shortcuts (something I personally don't care for, as I find it indicative of laziness... but *shrug* to each their own).

You are entitled to request/request/_request_ posters to employ the optional/optional/_optional_ tools (e.g. BBC coding in this instance), but please don't be offended, angry, or disgusted if there are those who do not accede to your entreaties. Writing styles differ due to age, ability, and indeed one's past. This is just something you need to accept... not everyone is like you, nor will everyone follow your lead. The internet... and life... are like that. Different strokes, etc.

Writing styles are important, as they tend to reflect the care of the writer and the ease of understanding by the reader. But let's be honest... in reality, substance is much more important than style.

I guess I'm asking that you (as in everyone) be tolerant of writing skills. Unfortunately, not everyone can be as you want them to be. The sooner you learn to accept that, the sooner you can get on to the more important things in life, like spy feigning or the level 7 SG abilities.

/off old_dood_soapbox
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
o_shaggy

You might be a computer nerd if...
o_shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 06:13 PM   #6
o_broodingdude

Who preached about their oldschool message board skills? I merely wanted to point out that it really isn't necessary to pick at other people's typing. And yes, I do have a level of tolerance when it comes to some things. Such as completely unreadable "l337" speak, extreme poor grammar and syntax, even speaking in totalitarian shorthand (example: OMFGWTFBBQ!... I call it that, anyway). There are levels of tolerance, but I only want to be able to read and understand others, and I didn't see General Levy being completely unreadable. I understand that BBC coding allows accenting, personality in a general sense, maybe General Levy doesn't know BBC coding. Maybe this subject is a little too touchy. I don't want any kind of flame war, or argument. The only thing I really want is tolerance of others and friendliness.

/me slumps off for a drink and a nap
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM   #7
o_ekim

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I don't really care about whether people use BB codes or _underscores_, but I'd just like to say that the analogy with TFC being an old mod is _terrible_
o_ekim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
o_sp0rk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
I don't really care about whether people use BB codes or _underscores_, but I'd just like to say that the analogy with TFC being an old mod is _terrible_
Well I'm devastated now.
o_sp0rk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
o_bokko

You seem to think that your analogy makes a valid point on this matter when clearly it _doesn't_... People can tolerate different styles of writing, however it's only natural to wonder why people refuse to take advantage of text formatting. Oh, and I never attempted to force anyone into using bbcode.
N0st4lgi4 43v3r, LoL!11

(By the way, my initial post isn't included in this thread. Instead this thread starts off with my response to a post by spork and kind of puts me in a bad light)
o_bokko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 09:43 PM   #10
o_someoldguy

Quote:
(By the way, my initial post isn't included in this thread. Instead this thread starts off with my response to a post by spork and kind of puts me in a bad light)
Missing addendum:
For those who may have missed the original thread and wish to view the initial commentaries and banter, go here:

http://forums.fortress-forever.com/v...=1672&start=25

As to whether it's a bad light or not, I leave to those that wish to view it to draw their own conclusions. 'Twas not split to make it appear as if anyone was being singled out... I just plucked the last two posts in the thread hijack attempt and moved 'em to this area, where all of the non-thread related "writing style" (for lack of a better term) issues should have gone in the first place.

Call it "moderator oversight", "abuse of power", or "what the hell is that old fart doing messing around with my posts?"....

If you feel I was in error, please feel free to PM me or any of the other moderators/admins with your concerns.

As FGTH once said... "Relax"
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #11
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy
As FGTH once said... "Relax"
He also sang about Two Tribes Going to War...
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #12
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokko
For something that does the exact same thing as underscores, bolds certainly are BLOATED. Just think of the dozens of extra bytes! Damnit youth these days take everything for granted...
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2005, 12:23 AM   #13
o_thedarkone

Spork, your TFC analogy doesn't work.

Yes, modern forum coding allows you to format your text in a lot of spiffy ways while letting you still use underscores if you want. They haven't changed or removed the functionality of the underscores.

Even if that were true with the changes from TFC's gameplay in ETF or Q3F (which it isn't), a message board isn't a competitive FPS, so changing the dynamics of one part can completely change the feel of the game.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote