Old 11-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #1
Nindax
Watch your back

Class/Position: cake
Gametype: is a
Affiliations: lie
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A tip for playing Spy

I dont know if this is mentioned before in another thread, but I would like to share this tip on the forum.

I've said this several times ingame and not every1 knows this.

If you are playing spy and are disguised as enemy class, watch out with keeping knife in hand!

Everyone will see (for example) a soldier running around with a crowbar, you can say 99% that it is a spy.

For disguised classes like Engineer and Medic it is possible to run around with knife. For the other classes it is best to carry the shotgun when running around.

I know most of the people that know this will take advantage of this to kill enemy spies, like me :P but I just wanted to mentioned it for people that dont know this and asking how people knew it was a disguised spy.
Nindax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
Here are more tips to improve your playing experience as a spy.

1. Leave your base disguised as a friendly. This arouses less suspicion and may save you from catching a bullet in the neck from caroline or leo.

2. Do not hang around your base, especially disguised/cloaked. If disguised, defense will shoot you. If cloaked, fellow offense will run into you, slowing their progression.

3. Pick your targets carefully. Everyone likes to kill snipers, but if you can take out the demo piping the flag, you have almost assured your team a capture.

4. Run interference for your teammates. If you can pass the flag to a faster offense class, tranq any defenders, they will be that much slower at that point, allowing your team to cap the flag.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork
Here are more tips to improve your playing experience as a spy.
1. Leave your base disguised as a friendly. This arouses less suspicion and may save you from catching a bullet in the neck from caroline or leo.
Haha, wtf. That must be one of the best tips ever. But to be OT I don't play sniper that often anymore but Leo is I guess.
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #4
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

You always manage to send me a .50 caliber cupid kiss.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 PM   #5
CaLeB-
Whitest Kid You Know
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I run around as a soldier holding a crowbar for the lulz. What's wrong with that? D:

Old 11-26-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yeah, disguising as a friendly throws off the enemy offense when they call incomings to their defense. Disguise as a friendly medic that way your speed stays closer to your class than disguising as a scout. Then a few seconds before you enter the enemy base, disguise as an enemy whatever class they have. It's a good idea in most cases to disguise as any class that they already have 2 or more of, because they could quickly see they're the only, lets say, engi, on their team.

Use your grenades to your advantage. Need to get to a top level? Need to get closer to a SG that's above you? Disguise as an enemy soldier, prime a nade, and look down with your RPG the enemy sees out and nade yourself up. While it doesn't quite look like you're a soldier RPG'ing yourself up, the enemy can be thrown off, and even believe you are their teammate by doing this.

Also, protip for tranqing, remove your crosshair for it, use the gun itself to aim. You will see improved tranq shots.

Have a key binded to disguise as a specific enemy class. This shaves a second or 2 from having to use the radial menu, and often times doing this might mean the difference between life and death.

ACT like the enemy. If you see a SG and you are disguised as an enemy engineer, throw a couple nades towards the front door, or to a pathway your teammates might come through(watch yourself tho if FF is on, don't wanna hurt teammates in the process) and make the enemy believe you're on their side. When they least expect it, knife em in the back.

When you sabbotage a sentry gun, get your meter across all the way, and if you can, get out of sight. The enemy will be looking for a spy after that. Hell, pretend like you are walking into the enemy spawn to avoid suspicion.

Just be sneaky. And when all else fails, throw a couple nades at a SG, and break out your shotty and fuck as much shit up as possible.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
It's also a bad idea to hold the shotgun out. There's a bug when trying to disguised and holding out the shotgun that it fucks the animation up. So you see an engy or soldier with a backwards shotgun and you know he is a spy.

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 02:50 AM   #8
battery
D&A Member

Don't forget that the spy is almost as good as medic for close combat. So if you get spotted by an enemy engineer, fight! Don't run. You can expect to win the gun fight. (if no Sentry is around.)
________
AMATEUR GAY

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 12:00 PM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
Nindax
Watch your back

Class/Position: cake
Gametype: is a
Affiliations: lie
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaLeB-
I run around as a soldier holding a crowbar for the lulz. What's wrong with that? D:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
It's also a bad idea to hold the shotgun out. There's a bug when trying to disguised and holding out the shotgun that it fucks the animation up. So you see an engy or soldier with a backwards shotgun and you know he is a spy.
It is? Didn't know that
Nindax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Jet Pack Pyro
Guy who steals your fries

Class/Position: Offensive Pyro
Gametype: Waterpolo, when I'm pyro? yes
Affiliations: I'm a loner...
Here's a tip for leaving your base, which is often one of the harder parts of being a spy.
Walk up to your battlements as a friendly (most preferably some who can die in one hit from a sniper, like a demo), stand on the ledge and loud cloak while tossing an ammo pack over the ledge, and quickly hop down (after a loud cloak, you can fall for a short period of time without losing your cloak), sneak into the enemy base, sabotage some Sentries, gas nade the spawn, whatever you want.
Jet Pack Pyro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #11
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Pack Pyro
Here's a tip for leaving your base, which is often one of the harder parts of being a spy.
Walk up to your battlements as a friendly (most preferably some who can die in one hit from a sniper, like a demo), stand on the ledge and loud cloak while tossing an ammo pack over the ledge, and quickly hop down (after a loud cloak, you can fall for a short period of time without losing your cloak), sneak into the enemy base, sabotage some Sentries, gas nade the spawn, whatever you want.
Don't follow this tip,as standing on the battlements violates my rule of not cloaking inside your base.

If I waste one of my 2 concs because I hit your invisible ass on my way out of the base, I WILL use the second conc to break you out of your cloak in fron of a sniper. Just sayin...

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
You guys are aware that there is an icon over the head of a cloaked(or disguised) spy, right? So if you bump into him, it's YOUR fault for not looking.

Also, if you intentionally exposed a team mate... I'd consider that game disruption and give you a kick. If you came back and continued that kind of behavior... you'd quickly earn a short vacation.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #13
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Well, often times that floating icon is hard to see. It not having a solid background (should be a black square with the symbol in the middle) is the biggest reason I never see it.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 12:17 AM   #14
cfive

Class/Position: Loony guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoXideAtWork
You always manage to send me a .50 caliber cupid kiss.
That sounds like something from a James Bond movie! YOU MUST BE A SPY!
cfive is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-23-2008, 02:36 AM   #15
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
You guys are aware that there is an icon over the head of a cloaked(or disguised) spy, right? So if you bump into him, it's YOUR fault for not looking.

Also, if you intentionally exposed a team mate... I'd consider that game disruption and give you a kick. If you came back and continued that kind of behavior... you'd quickly earn a short vacation.
Honestly, I doubt you'd catch me... =P