Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
you should have just bought my awesome guitar. you wouldnt be having his problem.
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #22
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss View Post
you should have just bought my awesome guitar. you wouldnt be having his problem.
I would have, but for some reason you wouldn't accept my amazing offer of 3 FULL DOLLARS plus shipping.
I got this for free anyway so I can't really complain. I just play songs that need a capo, or ones that dont have that string open, so i dont have to hear that annoying ass ring
9:48 PM - Orphic^vi: fuck bitches
1:03 AM - tm: no one remembers me
1:03 AM - tm: except tr the god
1:03 AM - tm: and by tr i mean teh_rape; tfc god
teh_rape is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh_rape View Post
I would have, but for some reason you wouldn't accept my amazing offer of 3 FULL DOLLARS plus shipping.
I got this for free anyway so I can't really complain. I just play songs that need a capo, or ones that dont have that string open, so i dont have to hear that annoying ass ring
rape, make sure you study up on Music Theory and tablature, learn how to read music and what notes sound like what, itll give yo ua solid ground for making songs that dont sound like a 3 year old bashing on a piano
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #24
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18 View Post
rape, make sure you study up on Music Theory and tablature, learn how to read music and what notes sound like what, itll give yo ua solid ground for making songs that dont sound like a 3 year old bashing on a piano
Do you know of a good site and/or book to learn music theory?

Old 12-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #25
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Do you know of a good site and/or book to learn music theory?
Barbara Wharram's 'Elementary Rudiment of Music' is a good introduction to theory - mind you it is very repetitive in the vast amount of writing exercises, but this is the best way to learn theory. All of the guitar specific theory books I've encountered are rather poor, either washing things down to make them more accessible to guitar players (who are usually rather poor musicians) or not providing any set of writing exercises to put what you've learned into practice.

Mind you that book, like other great theory books, is very dense and I only recommend it for 'musicians', not just someone who wants to strum some chords on the guitar and have some fun. It all depends on how serious you are about learning music. To be honest, learning higher levels of theory is pointless for guitarists who want to play rock/other sorts of popular music, because popular music doesn't make any musical sense by the rules of classical theory. You can essentially string together any series of unrelated open position chords and there you have a song. All you really should bother learning are scales and chords and their construction (essentially like learning the alphabet to someone learning english). If you move beyond that you will be learning a language irrelevant to the music I assume you want to play.
qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 05:01 PM   #26
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
"The guitar Handbook" by Ralph Denyer
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop View Post
All you really should bother learning are scales and chords and their construction (essentially like learning the alphabet to someone learning english). If you move beyond that you will be learning a language irrelevant to the music I assume you want to play.
I want to be able to play a lot of differnt types of music. I dont exactly know how certain people classify some bands into a genre.. but I know I would like to be able to play red hot chili peppers, incubus, iron maiden at some point down the road, some reggae style bands... "chill" music like jack johnson... there is a list of bands that i am interested in learning.
I dont want to be a professional musician, i want just want to be able to play the songs well... if that makes sense to you. As a hobby and not my life, i guess.

Last edited by teh_rape; 12-02-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #28
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Quote:
I want to be able to play a lot of differnt types of music. I dont exactly know how certain people classify some bands into a genre.. but I know I would like to be able to play red hot chili peppers, incubus, iron maiden at some point down the road, some reggae style bands... "chill" music like jack johnson... there is a list of bands that i am interested in learning.
I dont want to be a professional musician, i want just want to be able to play the songs well... if that makes sense to you. As a hobby and not my life, i guess.
Yea, for those sorts of music learning higher levels of theory will be pointless. Really if all you intend to do is learn to play some songs there is really no point in focusing on theory at all at this point. Just learn the songs. I recommend getting a teacher to at least get you started.

Old 12-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #29
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
I've only recently (last few months) actually tried picking up guitar despite being around them in bands for years. So I've got some grasp of music and from playing piano as a kid.

I've been sticking to my genre which has a lot of power chords, nice easy start to get used to just playing at a basic level. But I'd say to be any good at all you need to learn some chords too; trying to play from tab, the songs you know well is the best method - if you're like me and don't like theory

I learn my bands songs and then I can see the technique my guitarist uses at rehearsal every Sunday. I know that Incubus can be quite technical so choosing easy sounding songs is obviously a better place to start. I first tried High by Feeder where the acoustic is 4 chords over and over so I got used to changing chords and moving my fingers between them. I've started singing over it now which is cool.

So yeah, just in case my experience learning (so far) can help. Have fun :~)

P.S. You might already be way ahead of me
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)

Last edited by Elmo; 12-02-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #30
qwertyuiop
Voted #1 FF Forum Member
D&A Member

Power chords are a perfect example of conflict with music theory - if you study harmony one of the first things you learn is to avoid parallel 5ths and octaves - and that's all power chords are, 5ths and octave in parallel motion.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #31
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

I can play some songs, just not as fast as the band does... which will just come with practice i hope. I can do wonderwall but that's like the easiest song ever. I only know a couple cords, If someone tells me to do a C#, or nearly any other cord, i just stare at them. i've been getting better at transition between cords though. I've just been searching youtube for lessons that way i can see how someone else plays it and try to mimic it.

One of my problems is that I can read tabs... but I dont know proper hand positions. Like i'll somehow make it a lot harder than what it should be, then ill look at a cover on youtube and see its so simple.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #32
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
maybe your hands need to get used to the shape ?
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #33
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
maybe your hands need to get used to the shape ?
Its just that I dont know the cords. If someone says show me a c# I wouldn't be able to show them, but if i were to look it up.. or somehow find out I can play it fine.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #34
MonoXideAtWork
Pub Allstar!
Beta Tester

Class/Position: under en kvinna
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: Eternal Order, Must be h4x, Mono's happy funtime.
That's where I find theory to be useful.

Being a bassist, I learned scales right off.

picking up a little theory, you will learn what notes make up a particular chord.

For instance, some one says play the C major chord, you find the root, then add the third and fifth interval and you've got a major triad.

I like math, so music theory is something that interests me.
MonoXideAtWork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #35
reaper18
sKeeD
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout, Demo, Solly
Gametype: Any
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via AIM to reaper18
I dont really know any good books, rape, as i was taught while growing up by various teachers, not necessarily on the guitar, but theory is the same for all instruments.
As for learning different styles, just play different styles. You can read tableture (tabs) and learn to play many different artists, or you can use your ear.
reaper18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #36
teh_rape
Supa-leet-cap-a-cop

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper18 View Post
I dont really know any good books, rape, as i was taught while growing up by various teachers, not necessarily on the guitar, but theory is the same for all instruments.
As for learning different styles, just play different styles. You can read tableture (tabs) and learn to play many different artists, or you can use your ear.
yeah I usually look at tabs and try to get a feel for the song, then go on youtube and watch a lesson/cover so i can see how they play it

Old 12-03-2009, 09:35 PM   #37
Deadly Furby
Elder Scroll

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
You probably replaced the strings with a lighter gauge and are now noticing the buzz. If you install lighter gauged strings onto a guitar with a worn nut then buzzing will occur. Simply replace the nut with a new one and your problem should be solved.

They're cheap but, since you're not familiar with the instrument, I'd take it in and have it done for you. That way, you will be assured of getting the correct type.
Deadly Furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #38
The Drizzle
D&A Member

Class/Position: Sniper Defense
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [o-t]
If you want to learn how to play various songs. . .check out Tabit. I have been playing for 15 years, but I suck lol. I never really had the time to learn chords and all that jazz. I know the basics, but thats about it. Buying that program for 19 bucks is well worth it. Plenty of tabs uploaded every day.
The Drizzle is offline   Reply With Quote