Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #1
o_zaskar

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Basic mapping guide?

Im board and always wanted to just mess with basic mapping 9nuthin too serious probably) anyone know any basic guides that will walk you through in hammer the basics for creating a very very basic/box map with a skybox? The stickied post at the top was a good source, but every link on those pages pertaining to the beginner stuff was broken.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 01:53 AM   #2
o_burnt_gravy

The actual SDK wiki is awesome for making a basic room with lighting, spawns, texturing, and props. The only thing it doesn't do too well is talk about skyboxes and I have yet to correctly make a 3D skybox because it seems to get screwed up somewhere. So that tutorial is good for everything but skyboxes in my opinion. When I was brand new at mapping making that room and all the stuff in it took about 30 minutes (this includes finding everything on the interface)
Here is the tutorial from beginning room to finish http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map
Here is the Valve 3D skybox tutorial
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/3D_Skybox
Hope that helps
-Gravy
o_burnt_gravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #3
o_zaskar

Very cool

Can anyone explain this though?

I made a few basic maps and wanted to mess with a custom texture (half the reason i wanna mess with mapping, i like making textures and wanna see what things look like ingame)
So i made the file a vmt with a VTF file or whatever and then threw one on the wall, and then made a .res file and includded bolth file paths, the mat paths and the .res file path in it.

Now if someone connects to the server it dls all the needed textures.. but it doesnt acually Load them in the map till the second time he connects or does a retry (the first time the map is loadded with the texture files alwready in place) that cant be normal?

Old 08-30-2006, 12:14 PM   #4
o_bumgravy

After you compile, run the map and buildcubemaps, this saves the cubemaps into the bsp, this might fix your problem.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 PM   #5
o_zaskar

Im at work right now so cant test, but wouldnt that just include lighting conditions?

The textures I used i just placed on the wall centered with one of the texture tools, kind of like a painting, not as a full wall/object texture. And they Do work, but the textures seem to have to have been in the folder Before the map loads them to show, so for the inital DL and play they dont until i disconnect and rejoin the server.

Old 08-30-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
o_bumgravy

Thats why i think its cubemaps, because they dont show until you run the buildcubemaps and reload the map. Just a hunch, i dunno that much about it tbh but i guess its worth a try.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
o_zaskar

your right, the map I threw on the server was a freshly compiled one. I bet if I took the map that was run like you said, and throw it on the server and remove the files from the client again it will work for people when they DL from the server on the first try.

Ill try that soon as i get home

Old 08-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #8
o_swampthing360

the 2 guides i used/use are

interloopers
and
handy vandles

those may help you on your way to makeing a map the way you want
o_swampthing360 is offline   Reply With Quote